LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 414 users in the forums

Debated mock draft - SF OTC

What a mess, No way Niners pick at 3. Its impossible! There wont be a cba done by then so there wont be any trades come draft day which is only like 45 days away.

Next......

[ Edited by CoachingMatters on Mar 13, 2011 at 12:13:16 ]
Originally posted by CoachingMatters:
What a mess, No way Niners pick at 3. Its impossible! There wont be a cba done by then so there wont be any trades come draft day which is only like 45 days away.

Next......

draft day trades are allowed. and i decided against the niners trading up. don't think it happens.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

Next......

draft day trades are allowed. and i decided against the niners trading up. don't think it happens.

If there is no cba there will be no draft day trades to my understanding? At least not any that involve players (I.E. Kolb).
  • mike
  • Veteran

Next......

If there is no cba there will be no draft day trades to my understanding? At least not any that involve players (I.E. Kolb).

In this case, I believe they were saying we only spend picks for moving up.
I think actually spending additional picks for Gabbert is a ridiculous idea especially with so many other holes to try to fill. If we're going to trade up at least grab peterson or someone like that who definitely will be gone by #7. Chances are we can have gabbert at #7 if we want him, otherwise we should be considering trading down not up.
It's hard to figure out if there'll be an early run on QB's...with the CBA situation, I'm thinking chances may be better for that to happen, given it appears the NFLPA and the league have agreed in principle to a rookie cap. Of course, that may not apply to the 2011 season, either. Man, the lockout really puts things into a tailspin, doesn't it. But, for the sake of argument, let's say teams like Carolina, Buffalo, etc. do grab Newton and Gabbert early. That could shove some really dynamic defensive players downward, meaning Baalke/Harbaugh could have a very interesting decision with their #7 pick. I don't see Peterson falling that far, though...but one of the top pass rushers or DL could. I think either of those position may have more value than taking Amukamara, given they can still get a good CB in rd 2. Crap...mocks are hard enough to figure out, let alone with a lockout!
Originally posted by mike:

Next......

I think actually spending additional picks for Gabbert is a ridiculous idea especially with so many other holes to try to fill. If we're going to trade up at least grab peterson or someone like that who definitely will be gone by #7. Chances are we can have gabbert at #7 if we want him, otherwise we should be considering trading down not up.

Highly doubt Gabbert gets passed 4. He could go 1, 3, or 4 (or even 2 if someone trades up with Denver to get him). He won't make it to 5 IMO
  • mike
  • Veteran

Next......

Highly doubt Gabbert gets passed 4. He could go 1, 3, or 4 (or even 2 if someone trades up with Denver to get him). He won't make it to 5 IMO

Then good, I'm not high on him. I still think newton goes as the only qb in the top 5 and that's only because some team will buy into his athleticism. The defensive class is deep this year and the top talent elite.

So many of those bottom teams need defensive help. #1 seems high on newton, #3 like I said really needs defensive help with the worst defense against the run in the league plus they saw what Suh did for the lions in his first year. QB's are risky picks+take awhile to develop and fitz imo isn't that horrible if they had a defense.(3000 yds, lots of td's, just needs to cut down ints).

Cincy will get palmer a new weapon(aj green) with uncertainty surrounding ocho cinco and TO, rather than throwing a fresh new 1st round rookie to the wolves.

Cards potentially could go for him, but I think they'll give a guy like kolb a chance instead because they have no time to groom rookies which they experienced last season.

[ Edited by mike on Mar 13, 2011 at 15:59:41 ]
Mark Ingram is the top 7 Rank... check it out

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/scouting_department.html
As unlikely as it seems to most of the prognosticators around here, more mock drafts are predicting that Patrick Peterson will indeed fall to number seven and be available for the Niners. I think both Sports Illustrated and ESPN now have the Niners getting Peterson. I will still be surprised if it happens, but what a draft if it does. How about Patrick Peterson in the first and Christian Ponder in the second. I can always dream.

Next......

Then good, I'm not high on him. I still think newton goes as the only qb in the top 5 and that's only because some team will buy into his athleticism. The defensive class is deep this year and the top talent elite.

So many of those bottom teams need defensive help. #1 seems high on newton, #3 like I said really needs defensive help with the worst defense against the run in the league plus they saw what Suh did for the lions in his first year. QB's are risky picks+take awhile to develop and fitz imo isn't that horrible if they had a defense.(3000 yds, lots of td's, just needs to cut down ints).

Cincy will get palmer a new weapon(aj green) with uncertainty surrounding ocho cinco and TO, rather than throwing a fresh new 1st round rookie to the wolves.

Cards potentially could go for him, but I think they'll give a guy like kolb a chance instead because they have no time to groom rookies which they experienced last season.

They did see what Suh did...did they also see what Bradford did? I think they did...

Cards won't go for Kolb because he doesn't fit their style. They like bigger QBs...Like Wiz had with Big Ben.

And Palmer isn't coming back. I'd put the chances of him playing in Cincy next year close to 0. I'm starting to lean QB for Buf...

• mike
  • Veteran

Next......

They did see what Suh did...did they also see what Bradford did? I think they did...

Cards won't go for Kolb because he doesn't fit their style. They like bigger QBs...Like Wiz had with Big Ben.

And Palmer isn't coming back. I'd put the chances of him playing in Cincy next year close to 0. I'm starting to lean QB for Buf...

So you're convinced that gabbert or newton are as accurate/developed as bradford? Bradford also had a great combine/pro workout, whereas the passing drills at the combine weren't so convincing with either newton or gabbert.

He missed most of his junior season but kicked ass the year before. There was no question that he was the best quarterback in that draft, don't know if you can say the same this year about any of them clearly being the best. Newton's obviously the most athletic, but a guy like ponder came out of nowhere and surprised everyone at the combine.

I forgot carson said he'd retire, meh... Still I could see them taking a much needed receiver+a free agent qb like vince young/mcnabb, maybe a later 3rd round qb pick too.

Buffalo can go qb, they're another team that might be enticed by newton's athleticism if the panthers aren't, but I'm still leaning to defense for them. Fitzpatrick had a decent enough season that they've said they're also fine with fitz playing week 1 so they aren't as desperate as most teams out there for a qb.

Next......

So you're convinced that gabbert or newton are as accurate/developed as bradford? Bradford also had a great combine/pro workout, whereas the passing drills at the combine weren't so convincing with either newton or gabbert.

He missed most of his junior season but kicked ass the year before. There was no question that he was the best quarterback in that draft, don't know if you can say the same this year about any of them clearly being the best. Newton's obviously the most athletic, but a guy like ponder came out of nowhere and surprised everyone at the combine.

I forgot carson said he'd retire, meh... Still I could see them taking a much needed receiver+a free agent qb like vince young/mcnabb, maybe a later 3rd round qb pick too.

Buffalo can go qb, they're another team that might be enticed by newton's athleticism if the panthers aren't, but I'm still leaning to defense for them. Fitzpatrick had a decent enough season that they've said they're also fine with fitz playing week 1 so they aren't as desperate as most teams out there for a qb.

Cincy has no choice but to replace Palmer. Young is an option, but I think they take another premier QB to replace their current high profile passer. As for Buf. I think they take a QB...in the 2nd. I think they're eyeing Kaepernik. Therefore I think they go D, and select the best D player that perfectly fits their scheme. Dareus
  • mike
  • Veteran

Next......

Cincy has no choice but to replace Palmer. Young is an option, but I think they take another premier QB to replace their current high profile passer. As for Buf. I think they take a QB...in the 2nd. I think they're eyeing Kaepernik. Therefore I think they go D, and select the best D player that perfectly fits their scheme. Dareus

But what will cincy do about perhaps losing one or both of TO/ocho? They're just going to throw a high profile rookie in there with no weapons?(or perhaps later round WR talent)

Agreed about buffalo. They do address qb, I just don't think it'll be in the 1st since fitz is a decent stopgap while the rookie develops.
They have Jerom Simpson who they really like, and Shiply is going to be the new QB's best friend. Plus they invested an early pick in a TE next year that they're expecting huge things from. Their issue is that they have NOONE to throw to them. Their QB situation is non-existent, which is not what their fan base is used to. Also, look for them to try hard to get the ultra-talented, yet lazy Jon Baldwin in the 2nd.

Even though they have a hard time passing on a guy with Fairly's character issues, the Bengals do the only thing they can if they're planning on winning any games in the next 5 years--they draft a QB.

AZ is on the clock

[ Edited by RollinWith21n52 on Mar 14, 2011 at 20:02:33 ]
Share 49ersWebzone