LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 287 users in the forums

How do you mock?

One word of advice way too many people put players at a pick where they most likely won't be. Most of our fans like a core group of players and some how they manage to fall to our picks.

Ex:
Greg Little in the 4th or 5th
Ponder in the 3rd
Justin Houston in the 2nd
Potentially Acho in the 3rd

There are more and I know it would be hard to guess who would be left without doing all 250 picks but use judgment.

As good as those mocks look they aren't realistic. Either way it's all for fun... if you want to be serious then I'd suggest researching the other teams to see who they would take and who would be left for the 49ers. Get a good idea of what round a player will go in.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 6, 2011 at 8:10 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
One word of advice way too many people put players at a pick where they most likely won't be. Most of our fans like a core group of players and some how they manage to fall to our picks.

Ex:
Ponder in the 3rd

There are more and I know it would be hard to guess who would be left without doing all 250 picks but use judgment.

As good as those mocks look they aren't realistic. Either way it's all for fun... if you want to be serious then I'd suggest researching the other teams to see who they would take and who would be left for the 49ers. Get a good idea of what round a player will go in.

Pretty much all of those are possible. Maybe or maybe not the most likely, but possible. All were rated there recently. Some have jumped thanks to the combine, but that may or may not mean that they actually get drafted higher. Ponder is a lot like McCoy. Could be a first rounder, could fall to the 3rd, or later.

All it takes is one team to like a player for them to go early. But some slight knock could make everyone pass for multiple rounds, you see it every year. Early on, Greg Little wasn't even a 6th rounder. Who knows where he actually goes.

Those aren't crazy reaches. If you are doing a single draft, and assuming ALL of them go as late as possible, so that the Niners have an ideal draft, it may be optimistic, but any or all of them could go that late or later, as easily as they could go earlier.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
When making a pick for a mock draft, whether it's for the Niners, doing a "complete" mock of a single or multiple rounds, or picking for another team in a group mock:

Do you pick the player YOU think best fits the needs of the team and/or is the BPA, or do you pick the player you think the TEAM, based on past preferences, tendencies, and draft choices seems most likely to pick?
since i dont know the draft histories very well, i pick this way.
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
When making a pick for a mock draft, whether it's for the Niners, doing a "complete" mock of a single or multiple rounds, or picking for another team in a group mock:

Do you pick the player YOU think best fits the needs of the team and/or is the BPA, or do you pick the player you think the TEAM, based on past preferences, tendencies, and draft choices seems most likely to pick?

Only way to do it

So in a mock, you're taking Gabbert and Newton long before Ponder?

See, now you're thinking like the pundits think. Don't do that. There is no evidence whatsoever that anyone in the 49ers organization thinks Gabbert or Newton is rated higher on their board than Ponder. None.

If anything there IS evidence to support Ponder over Gabbert and Newton based on how Harbaugh describes his ideal quarterback. Also, the fact Ponder comes from a Pro style offense and has a very accurate arm to run OUR WCO is another good piece of evidence.

Only way to do it

See, now you're thinking like the pundits think. Don't do that. There is no evidence whatsoever that anyone in the 49ers organization thinks Gabbert or Newton is rated higher on their board than Ponder. None.

If anything there IS evidence to support Ponder over Gabbert and Newton based on how Harbaugh describes his ideal quarterback. Also, the fact Ponder comes from a Pro style offense and has a very accurate arm to run OUR WCO is another good piece of evidence.

First, I'm just busting your Ponder loving balls.

Second, even you have to admit, there is absolutely nothing suggesting ANY team, let alone the Niners, are thinking quite as dramatically as you, and would take Ponder in the top 10, or even in the top half of the first round.

It's not even about if he will or won't be the best to come out of the draft, as you suggest, it's about value. If you can get him later, get him later.

We didn't draft Montana in the first just because Walsh liked him, he took him where he was available and slotted to be drafted.

If you were drafting for say, Buffalo or Arizona, would you take Ponder over Gabbert or Newton in a mock?

Only way to do it

Second, even you have to admit, there is absolutely nothing suggesting ANY team, let alone the Niners, are thinking quite as dramatically as you, and would take Ponder in the top 10, or even in the top half of the first round.

It's not even about if he will or won't be the best to come out of the draft, as you suggest, it's about value. If you can get him later, get him later.

We didn't draft Montana in the first just because Walsh liked him, he took him where he was available and slotted to be drafted.

If you were drafting for say, Buffalo or Arizona, would you take Ponder over Gabbert or Newton in a mock?

-There has been nothing to support that he WON'T be.

-You have no idea if you can get him later. Neither do 31 other nfl teams on draft day. In my opinion, if you truly believe a guy is a franchise qb, you DO NOT pass on him.

-Even Walsh didn't know what he had in Montana. Sure he liked him, but he could have never guessed he'd be one of the greatest of all time. He figured, this guys college skill set is suitable to this round of the draft. And so based on that he was a mid round pick.

- If i was Buffalo i'd take Newton because Buddy Nix is an Auburn guy and Chan love Auburn and athletic qb's. If i'm AZ i don't draft a qb. I find a FA so as to not waste Fitz.

Only way to do it

-You have no idea if you can get him later. Neither do 31 other nfl teams on draft day. In my opinion, if you truly believe a guy is a franchise qb, you DO NOT pass on him.

-Even Walsh didn't know what he had in Montana. Sure he liked him, but he could have never guessed he'd be one of the greatest of all time. He figured, this guys college skill set is suitable to this round of the draft. And so based on that he was a mid round pick.

- If i was Buffalo i'd take Newton because Buddy Nix is an Auburn guy and Chan love Auburn and athletic qb's. If i'm AZ i don't draft a qb. I find a FA so as to not waste Fitz.

I hope Buffalo takes Gabbert, so that Cincy can take Newton. Something about Cam has Bengals written ALL OVER him.

Now that they know Palmer isn't coming back, (whether they trade him or not), that is seeming more and more likely.

Only way to do it

I hope Buffalo takes Gabbert, so that Cincy can take Newton. Something about Cam has Bengals written ALL OVER him.

Now that they know Palmer isn't coming back, (whether they trade him or not), that is seeming more and more likely.

I agree completely.

Ex:
Ponder in the 3rd

Anybody can drop at any point...I would of never guessed Clausen would fall to the 2nd, same with Tate. Dorin Dickerson I had going a lot earlier last year then he did. Akwasi Owusu-Ansah fell a lot further then I imagined.
Originally posted by jreff22:

Ex:
Ponder in the 3rd

Anybody can drop at any point...I would of never guessed Clausen would fall to the 2nd, same with Tate. Dorin Dickerson I had going a lot earlier last year then he did. Akwasi Owusu-Ansah fell a lot further then I imagined.

Yes, they are possible in that spot but not likely. Those aren't extreme examples. Look at enough mocks you will see some pretty optimistic picks. A lot more players rise then fall if that makes sense.

Ex:
Ponder in the 3rd

Yes, they are possible in that spot but not likely. Those aren't extreme examples. Look at enough mocks you will see some pretty optimistic picks. A lot more players rise then fall if that makes sense.

Houston could be a massive steal if he fell...which I think he can
So here is my mock then:

1. Patrick Peterson CB
2. Brooks Reed OLB
3. Christian Ponder QB
4. Rodney Hudson RG
4. Kenrick Ellis NT
5. Greg Little WR
6. Jaiquawn Jarrett FS
6. Owen Marecic FB
7. Richard Sherman CB
7. Dion Lewis RB

Sure some of these might fall into place but not likely that all of them do.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 6, 2011 at 11:30 PM ]

Ex:
Ponder in the 3rd

You know that's impossible right? For every player that rises (is taken earlier than expected) then, by default, some player falls, and is drafted lower than expected because someone else was taken. It cuts both ways.

That's why (almost) nothing is impossible in the draft. Guys like Rodgers or Clausen who were talked about as number one or at least top 10 picks can have crazy falls. And all it ever takes is one team to fall in love with a guy to make him drafted WAY earlier than expected.

I mean who the hell had Glen Coffee going in the 3rd round? Nobody. But it happened.
usually by what makes most sense for the given team
So here is my mock then:

1. Patrick Peterson CB
2. Brooks Reed OLB
3. Christian Ponder QB
4. Rodney Hudson RG
4. Kenrick Ellis NT
5. Greg Little WR
6. Jaiquawn Jarrett FS
6. Owen Marecic FB
7. Richard Sherman CB
7. Dion Lewis RB

Sure some of these might fall into place but not likely that all of them do.

1. Patrick Peterson CB-makes sense
2. Brooks Reed OLB-maybe a little early for him actually
3. Christian Ponder QB-no problem with Ponder in the 3rd
4. Rodney Hudson RG-think he goes a little earlier
4. Kenrick Ellis NT-I actually hope because of character he falls to the 5th

Out of those 5 picks Hudson I would say is the biggest "highly unlikely" in the 4th. But I have had OG's slotted high that fall a lot on draft day.
Share 49ersWebzone