LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 346 users in the forums

draft rumors and news

Originally posted by aclarke49:
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by valrod33:
AdamSchefter

Panthers have given forms of their playbook to Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, Ryan Mallett. Each will be tested on it on visit to Carolina.

Well, we all know who has the best arm of the bunch and that truly is Mallett.

Maybe Carolina can "handle" his "character" issues.

Still, there is a reason they are having Mallett come prepared. I betcha he wows them over Gabbert and Newton.

and yes, I too, would be

I bet that Mallett is an insurance policy. If they really like him or if they aren't thrilled by Gabbert or Neuton then I bet they traid back for more picks then take him.

I think that is a smart move if Mallett works out better for them. Although, do you think there is another team that would want to trade up for the first pick?

[ Edited by LoboLtnLvr49er on Mar 21, 2011 at 15:54:02 ]
Originally posted by LoboLtnLvr49er:
AdamSchefter

Panthers have given forms of their playbook to Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, Ryan Mallett. Each will be tested on it on visit to Carolina.

Still, there is a reason they are having Mallett come prepared. I betcha he wows them over Gabbert and Newton.

and yes, I too, would be

I bet that Mallett is an insurance policy. If they really like him or if they aren't thrilled by Gabbert or Neuton then I bet they traid back for more picks then take him.

I think that is a smart move if Mallett works out better for them. Although, do you think there is another team that would want to trade up for the first pick?

Not sure who wants to be the last team to give a rookie a $50+ mil contract.....

Especially in a year without a sure number one pick.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
AdamSchefter

and yes, I too, would be

Not sure who wants to be the last team to give a rookie a $50+ mil contract.....

They can easily select him in the second round, if they don't want Cam or Gabbert.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
AdamSchefter

and yes, I too, would be

They can easily select him in the second round, if they don't want Cam or Gabbert.

Oh yea? With what pick?
I still can't see Mallett falling that far. His arm is just too good. These character concerns are getting blown out of proportion. He's no more of a character risk than Cam Newton.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
AdamSchefter

and yes, I too, would be

panthers traded their 2nd rd pick to patriots so they could take the great armanti edwards from appalachian state---but if im baalke they can have he niners 2nd round pick so as to be able to take mallet, for their 2012 #1 pick (Andrew Luck??)
Originally posted by hofer36:

panthers traded their 2nd rd pick to patriots so they could take the great armanti edwards from appalachian state---but if im baalke they can have he niners 2nd round pick so as to be able to take mallet, for their 2012 #1 pick (Andrew Luck??)

Interesting thought, although the Niners being several players away from greatness -- with pass rusher and CB being gaping holes -- will make it difficult for them to defer bliss by trading a second rounder for a player in next year's draft -- unless they get their OLB in the first and go all out for Asomugha in free agency. Even then they'll have other holes to fill. All depends on how the draft plays out and if there are no players at 45 that merit the pick (in their eyes).

Andrew Luck's odds of being the first pick in next year's draft are 50% at best, and perhaps less than that (frankly better for the Niners if he falls and they want a first round QB).
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:

Andrew Luck's odds of being the first pick in next year's draft are 50% at best, and perhaps less than that (frankly better for the Niners if he falls and they want a first round QB).

I would love to hear the reasoning why.

Example A of why I disagree - Sam Bradford.
Originally posted by genus49:

I feel like Andrew Luck is the surefire #1 pick next year UNLESS it's a team with a franchise QB but had a terrible season (like the Rams or Lions).

Honestly, with the lockout looming and how much that will hurt the 49ers, we could be staring Andrew Luck right in the face. And boy would I be happy!

[ Edited by chico49erfan on Mar 21, 2011 at 19:18:53 ]
AdamSchefter

and yes, I too, would be

I'm not sure. But I think the odds go up if there is some type of CBA deal prior to the draft and there is a rooky salary cap. Also, If a team is worried about Buffalo's pick the only way to jump them is to go #1. Just one thoughts.

I also agree with the other post about traidind out #2 for their #1 next year. That sounds interesting.

I've said this before. I know no one really thinks Newton or Gabbert should go number one, but the Panthers are in the same division as Brees, Ryan, and the promising Freeman. They need to take a gamble on a qb to have a chance to compete in that division.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by genus49:

I feel like Andrew Luck is the surefire #1 pick next year UNLESS it's a team with a franchise QB but had a terrible season (like the Rams or Lions).

Honestly, with the lockout looming and how much that will hurt the 49ers, we could be staring Andrew Luck right in the face. And boy would I be happy!

There are a few scenarios:

1. The one you outlined is very possible, with a Mario Williams rising to the top;
  2. Stanford loses too much talent in terms of players and coaches, and Luck has a so-so year;
  3. Another QB outshines Mr. Luck during the 2011 season;
  4. Hate to say it, but he could get injured and his draft stock falls.

A lot of things can happen between now and then. Remember, Locker was a lock to go #1; will Andrew's luck run out?
ANY OF YOU VETS WANT TO JOIN THE VET MOCK DRAFT? Get in and grab a team while you can! 9 spots left!
Originally posted by NickSh49:
ANY OF YOU VETS WANT TO JOIN THE VET MOCK DRAFT? Get in and grab a team while you can! 9 spots left!

I'm already in. I think a few others are as well.

There are a few scenarios:

1. The one you outlined is very possible, with a Mario Williams rising to the top;
  2. Stanford loses too much talent in terms of players and coaches, and Luck has a so-so year;
  3. Another QB outshines Mr. Luck during the 2011 season;
  4. Hate to say it, but he could get injured and his draft stock falls.

A lot of things can happen between now and then. Remember, Locker was a lock to go #1; will Andrew's luck run out?

Andrew Luck is a rare talent and a crazy type prospect at the biggest position in the game. Locker could've been #1 in a weak QB draft and he was never close to Luck in terms of skill set. Locker had the intangibles and a decent year but Luck had almost no negatives at all. Great accuracy, good arm, good athlete, great leadership, smart, played in a pro offense.

Luck has proven to be great already, if he has a so so year it will not hurt his draft stock for the same reason you mentioned - lots of people left. That's also a big IF given the guys talent.

I don't see any other QB outshining him. And even if they do what they do in college doesn't drive them as prospects. He has a proven track record as a terrific player. That's not going to be overshadowed by some 1 year wonder.

If he gets injured, just look at Sam Bradford.

Is there a chance he's not #1 overall next year? Yea sure but it's definitely not 50% or more. I'd say the only reason he wouldn't go #1 is if another team with a young promising QB picked #1 but it's pretty rare for that to happen.

I mean don't get me wrong, I'd love to be wrong and have Luck slide to us somehow. Holy hell would I be dancing for joy. That's part of the reason why I hope we don't draft QB in the first round this year(you just don't go QB in the first 2 years in a row) if you take a guy in the 2nd round you can do that for a talent like Luck.
Share 49ersWebzone