There are 229 users in the forums

draft rumors and news

AdamSchefter

Make of it what you want, but Panthers coaches and front office members at Auburn today to work out QB Cam Newton.
Originally posted by valrod33:
AdamSchefter

Make of it what you want, but Panthers coaches and front office members at Auburn today to work out QB Cam Newton.

Please, Carolina, select Cam Newton so that Patrick Peterson falls to the Niners...
All signs point to Newton going to the Panthers
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Wanted to give an update on Devlin's workout from the words of Mike Mayock, who was present:
"Every once in a while you can see the ball come out kind of funny," said Mike Mayock, the NFL Network's draft chief who attended the workout. "To me, it's usually an indication of a spread quarterback whose footwork hasn't caught up with his arm work yet."
But, Mayock added, Devlin's workout at the school complex showed his improvement since the end of Delaware's season.
"(Tuesday) was kind of an important day for him," Mayock said, "and I thought as the workout went on and he got more and more of a comfort level -- both with his throws and his receivers -- I thought what he showed was more than enough arm strength to compete at the next level. And I thought the big thing was that his accuracy improved as the day went on also."

Not the kind of flowing praise that was given to Newton and Dalton in their Pro-Day workouts, but maybe not quite the nightmare stated on Rotoworld.

QB's should ace these workouts. I expect the next batch of QB's to throw very well at their Pro-Days, including Ponder today and Gabbert tomorrow. It is a controlled environment (unless the wind is howling), they have familiar receivers to throw at, and it has been scripted and rehearsed.

I read rotoworld and they made it seem like the guy just fell flat on his face. But I was never high on Devlin and if the guy can't even have an impressive pro day then that's a bad sign of things to come.

The initial reaction everyone had was based on the Rotoworld article, which may be accurate. Then, I was surprised to head Mike Mayock contradict the article shortly afterwards on Path to the Draft. Probably need a third source to make a better judgment on how he performed.

Usually Pro-day workouts tend to be impressive or unimpressive, and rarely have such differing opinions.

In the end, QB Pro-Day workouts should be a success in this structured, rehearsed, friendly environment.

I put more value in Mayock's review than rotoworld any day.
Von Miller to meet with 7 of the top 9 teams in the draft. Including the 49ers

Texas A&M linebacker Von Miller has visits planned with seven of the first nine teams picking in next month's NFL Draft, according to a league source.

Miller, the consensus top player at his position in this year's draft, is scheduled to travel to meet with the Buffalo Bills (No. 3), Arizona Cardinals (No. 5), Cleveland Browns (No. 6), San Francisco 49ers (No. 7), Tennessee Titans (No. 8) and Dallas Cowboys (No. 9)
Originally posted by valrod33:
Von Miller to meet with 7 of the top 9 teams in the draft. Including the 49ers

Texas A&M linebacker Von Miller has visits planned with seven of the first nine teams picking in next month's NFL Draft, according to a league source.

Miller, the consensus top player at his position in this year's draft, is scheduled to travel to meet with the Buffalo Bills (No. 3), Arizona Cardinals (No. 5), Cleveland Browns (No. 6), San Francisco 49ers (No. 7), Tennessee Titans (No. 8) and Dallas Cowboys (No. 9)

wine and dine...wine and dine him!!!
Originally posted by DesiDez:

Then Gabbert to Buffalo...

C'mon on down Miller and Peterson...
WesBunting

Sources: #Panthers to work out Blaine Gabbert this weekend | National Football Post http://t.co/ev9zMZH via @ravensinsider
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ninertico:

Would be nice, but Peterson has to get pass Denver. And its hard seeing Denver take Dareus or Fairley now with Peterson's stock so high. And with Arizona having so much holes on defense, its hard seeing them NOT take Von Miller. But I wonder what would happen if Miller and Gabbert were there when Arizona picked, that would be interesting to see. Then again, Arizona could go Robert Quinn, Nick Fairley or Marcell Dareus, again they got so much holes on defense.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by ninertico:

Would be nice, but Peterson has to get pass Denver. And its hard seeing Denver take Dareus or Fairley now with Peterson's stock so high. And with Arizona having so much holes on defense, its hard seeing them NOT take Von Miller. But I wonder what would happen if Miller and Gabbert were there when Arizona picked, that would be interesting to see. Then again, Arizona could go Robert Quinn, Nick Fairley or Marcell Dareus, again they got so much holes on defense.

A lot can happen between now and the draft. Quinn still needs to work out in front of teams and he can absolutely blow people away. same can be said about Bowers if he comes out healthy.

First reports coming out on Ponder's Pro Day. As expected, he performed well.

Quarterback Christian Ponder had another fine throwing session at Florida State's pro day. Ponder, who has been hampered by injuries since the middle of his junior season, is a sure good bet to be selected in the middle of round two.

SI's Tony Pauline Breakdown of Christian Ponder Pro Day

Technically sound offensive guard/center, Rodney Hudson, had a strong workout as well. He is almost a forgotten player in this draft, but someone who will probably step in and start from Day One.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 16, 2011 at 10:56:34 ]
There's a new leader in the clubhouse! Last week, we told you of the exploits of Blaine Sumner, the sleeper nose tackle from the Colorado School of Mines who completed 49 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press during his March 8 pro day. That number equaled the amount completed by Stephen Paea, who set the combine record in February. Sumner topped that mark on Monday when he completed 52 reps as a participant in the Air Force pro-day. He actually completed 55 reps, but three were disqualified by scouts in attendance. Besides being an All-Conference defensive tackle, Sumner has marks of 900 pounds in the squat and 425 in the clean. He will be tough to pass up in the late rounds.

Link

Im from Colorado and I didn't even know Colorado School of Mines had a football team. Either way, talk about putting himself on the map!
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
There's a new leader in the clubhouse! Last week, we told you of the exploits of Blaine Sumner, the sleeper nose tackle from the Colorado School of Mines who completed 49 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press during his March 8 pro day. That number equaled the amount completed by Stephen Paea, who set the combine record in February. Sumner topped that mark on Monday when he completed 52 reps as a participant in the Air Force pro-day. He actually completed 55 reps, but three were disqualified by scouts in attendance. Besides being an All-Conference defensive tackle, Sumner has marks of 900 pounds in the squat and 425 in the clean. He will be tough to pass up in the late rounds.

Link

Im from Colorado and I didn't even know Colorado School of Mines had a football team. Either way, talk about putting himself on the map!

He attends the School of Mimes? Woohoo! He should join the olympics as a power lifter.

Originally posted by Joecool:

Link

He attends the School of Mimes? Woohoo! He should join the olympics as a power lifter.

Link

I didn't know they had a team either.

Go to YouTube and type in "Blaine sumner". You have to watch his highlight reel. It's awesome. He played some MLB and Oline also. He destroys people. His highlight video is 3 mins of him knocking people off their feet.

I would post the link, but I'm on my phone.
Share 49ersWebzone