LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

MAV MOCK! v3.0 Post Combine

Okay this is my second to last mock of 2011. I will update once more 1 week prior to the draft. As always I appreciate your comments.

Round 1: Prince Amukamara CB, Nebraska: Prince removed all doubts about his speed at the combine. He also looked great in position drills and solidified himself as a top 10 pick. This pick is under the assumption that Patrick Peterson is not available.

Round 2: Brooks Reed OLB/DE, University of Arizona: This guy is a beast! When I watch him I think of Justin Smith as an OLB. Reed is a high motor, high character guy, that could be the answer to our pass rusher woes. Look up his combine results; he will be a stud in the NFL as a 3-4 OLB but can also put his and in the dirt on nickle packages.

Round 3: Sione Fua NT, Stanford: With the question marks on Franklin's return finding a replacement/backup is a huge need. Because of his experience in Fanigo's system I believe he will be highly coveted by our coaching staff. Even if Franklin returns having a player like this waiting in the wings is not a bad thing.

Round 4a: Pat Devlin QB, Delaware: I’m completely enamored with Pat Devlin. Some criticize him based on the East-West shrine game. But what I see is a lot of raw potential. Great pocket presence, field vision, accuracy, and a lightning quick release. He's coming from a spread only system and will have a lot to learn about running a WCO and dropping back from center. Give him one or two years learning under Harbaugh and we might have "the guy."

Round 4b: DeMarcus Love OG, Arkansas: Played tackle in college but will kick inside at the pro level. DeMarcus played against top competition during is college career and is a versatile linemen who plays with a mean streak. Doesn't possess the footwork to play tackle but projects nicely at RG.

Round 5: Roy Helu RB, Nebraska: I love this kid he is a true gamer. Helu was very productive at Nebraska and carried the load of being the primary back very well. Has the size, speed, and hands to be a nice 3rd down back but possesses the upside to maybe be more.

Round 6a: Richard Sherman CB, Stanford: Can't have enough talent at defensive back. Doesn't wow anyone with his numbers but has a knack for making plays. I see him as a nice project who can also contribute in nickle and special team packages.

Round 6b: Cedric Thornton, DE, Southern Arkansas: This small school guy gets a shot at the pro level. Has all the physical tools but still has a lot to learn.

Round 7: Konrad Reuland TE, Stanford: A solid TE project that has a history with the staff.
Not buying the Prince hype.
love this mock!!!
plus, we have 2 - 7round picks. I'd say use the other pick for a big/speedy receiver!
Originally posted by kingkong916:
plus, we have 2 - 7round picks. I'd say use the other pick for a big/speedy receiver!

My bad for not posting a second 7th rd. I see us looking in the later rounds to double up at our weakest positions. QB, OLB, CB, and possibly DE. I wouldn't be surprised if we see multiple picks for the same position throughout our draft.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
switch delvin with stanzi.... A+
Originally posted by mavfd9er:
Okay this is my second to last mock of 2011. I will update once more 1 week prior to the draft. As always I appreciate your comments.

Round 1: Prince Amukamara CB, Nebraska: Prince removed all doubts about his speed at the combine. He also looked great in position drills and solidified himself as a top 10 pick. This pick is under the assumption that Patrick Peterson is not available.

Round 2: Brooks Reed OLB/DE, University of Arizona: This guy is a beast! When I watch him I think of Justin Smith as an OLB. Reed is a high motor, high character guy, that could be the answer to our pass rusher woes. Look up his combine results; he will be a stud in the NFL as a 3-4 OLB but can also put his and in the dirt on nickle packages.

Round 3: Sione Fua NT, Stanford: With the question marks on Franklin's return finding a replacement/backup is a huge need. Because of his experience in Fanigo's system I believe he will be highly coveted by our coaching staff. Even if Franklin returns having a player like this waiting in the wings is not a bad thing.

Round 4a: Pat Devlin QB, Delaware: I’m completely enamored with Pat Devlin. Some criticize him based on the East-West shrine game. But what I see is a lot of raw potential. Great pocket presence, field vision, accuracy, and a lightning quick release. He's coming from a spread only system and will have a lot to learn about running a WCO and dropping back from center. Give him one or two years learning under Harbaugh and we might have "the guy."

Round 4b: DeMarcus Love OG, Arkansas: Played tackle in college but will kick inside at the pro level. DeMarcus played against top competition during is college career and is a versatile linemen who plays with a mean streak. Doesn't possess the footwork to play tackle but projects nicely at RG.

Round 5: Roy Helu RB, Nebraska: I love this kid he is a true gamer. Helu was very productive at Nebraska and carried the load of being the primary back very well. Has the size, speed, and hands to be a nice 3rd down back but possesses the upside to maybe be more.

Round 6a: Richard Sherman CB, Stanford: Can't have enough talent at defensive back. Doesn't wow anyone with his numbers but has a knack for making plays. I see him as a nice project who can also contribute in nickle and special team packages.

Round 6b: Cedric Thornton, DE, Southern Arkansas: This small school guy gets a shot at the pro level. Has all the physical tools but still has a lot to learn.

Round 7: Konrad Reuland TE, Stanford: A solid TE project that has a history with the staff.

1st nice complete mock man, great post especially the detailed descriptions of your picks.

2nd I hate when I say this but I work literally 2 mins from the Delaware stadium and I can tell you for a fact Pat Delvin is no where near ready to be a NFL QB. The Flacco comparisons are wrong also, the guy is good don't get me wrong but he needs ALOT of work. Replace that pick with Ponder, Locker, Stanzi and you got yourself one hell of a draft my friend!
Originally posted by fan49:

lol FB? They Took are Jobs i'd like to get one and delvin remind me of brady i felt like i was watching him. Stanzi is a stud!
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by mavfd9er:

1st nice complete mock man, great post especially the detailed descriptions of your picks.

2nd I hate when I say this but I work literally 2 mins from the Delaware stadium and I can tell you for a fact Pat Delvin is no where near ready to be a NFL QB. The Flacco comparisons are wrong also, the guy is good don't get me wrong but he needs ALOT of work. Replace that pick with Ponder, Locker, Stanzi and you got yourself one hell of a draft my friend!

Interesting take on Devlin. I defiantly feel he's the kind of guy that will take about 2yrs to be ready. When I watch his tape he kind of gives me the feeling of a young Brady when he played at Michigan. But they are just highlight vids so I'm only watching the gems.

On another note between Ponder, Locker, or Stanzi my pick would be Stanzi hands down. I'm really not sold on Ponder he just doesn't seem to have the arm strength to get it done. Plus we'd probably have to give up a 2nd rd pick to get him. IMO spending a 2nd rd pick or even 3rd pick on a guy that's gonna have to learn for at least 2 years before he can contribute doesn't present very much value to me.
Good mock, even that I dn't like the Devlin pick, but covers our needs with goid players

Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by fan49:

lol FB? They Took are Jobs i'd like to get one and delvin remind me of brady i felt like i was watching him. Stanzi is a stud!

Funny you say that about Devlin because I was thinking the same thing but wasn't sure if I would post that thought. I don't think he would be ready his first year but given some time to develop under Harbaugh and he could be dangerous.

I like Stanzi as well. What kind of scares me is his inconsistent decision making. But I love his size, arm strength, and mental makeup. If Harbaugh signs off on him then I'd be happy with the pick.
i think your mock is well thought out. i disagree with some of the picks but none of us are going to get it exactly right. i could see prince but i think it is settling a bit at the 7 spot. i'm not big on reed but i know very little about him. with sione i think that he is a little small for the NT position. he played it great at stanford but i think he will need to put on some pounds. Devlin is fine but i am becoming more convinced that the niners will have to draft their QB with their first or second pick. i would love to find a diamond in the rough but i think harbaugh is the kind of guy that will say that he can only have a certain QB for his system. if he decides that its Dalton, Ponder or Devlin than he can't wait for a later round to grab his guy and risk him being taken. by our 2nd pick ponder and dalton could be gone and then he would be risking Devlin by waiting for the 4th round.
i think we all are going to do a lot of mock drafts now that this cba thing just got worse.
Share 49ersWebzone