LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

will andrew luck be the #1 pick in nfl draft in 2012?

Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by English:
No one, absolute no one, is a given to succeed in the NFL. Check on the number of failed first round drafted quarterbacks who have completely busted. I really don't care how good he looked last year. Incidentally, he may not even look so good this year with a new coach.

And if he does have another great year, our chances of trading up for him are zero, unless we are prepared to throw Willia, Davis and Iupati into the pot. It costs a lot to move that far up in the first round.
Reality. It's important to keep in touch with it.

Player trades are very rare and if anything we'd have to give away a boat load of additional picks. Willis, Davis, Iupati not happening. It's just not how the league works. For the most part you don't trade away players unless they wore out their welcome or if they're a backup quarterback.

We don't know that the team with the 1st overrall pick is going to have a need at quarterback. That's not a guarantee and it's also not a guarantee that Luck will want to go to a Carolina or a Buffalo. If he pulls an Eli or an Elway that organization has no choice but to trade him. Percentage of either one of those things happening certainly isn't good, but it should be noted.

The point I was making is that it is not going to happen. Player trades in this context, though, are not as rare as you imply.
History says "no."

-9fA
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by English:
No one, absolute no one, is a given to succeed in the NFL. Check on the number of failed first round drafted quarterbacks who have completely busted. I really don't care how good he looked last year. Incidentally, he may not even look so good this year with a new coach.

And if he does have another great year, our chances of trading up for him are zero, unless we are prepared to throw Willia, Davis and Iupati into the pot. It costs a lot to move that far up in the first round.
Reality. It's important to keep in touch with it.

Player trades are very rare and if anything we'd have to give away a boat load of additional picks. Willis, Davis, Iupati not happening. It's just not how the league works. For the most part you don't trade away players unless they wore out their welcome or if they're a backup quarterback.

We don't know that the team with the 1st overrall pick is going to have a need at quarterback. That's not a guarantee and it's also not a guarantee that Luck will want to go to a Carolina or a Buffalo. If he pulls an Eli or an Elway that organization has no choice but to trade him. Percentage of either one of those things happening certainly isn't good, but it should be noted.

I see both carolina and buffalo fighting for the first over all again! They are just talentless teams, and they both need qb's in a draft class this year that has none. But next year the will both be picking early again!!!
Originally posted by Elric:
I think we should trade down acquire an extra 2nd round for next year and trad up to get him.

All I see on the Market is Palmer 31. He could bring a Curt Warner feel to the NFC West.

Luck is better than any Player in this years draft.

He is familiar with the coach.

I think we pull out all the brakes and get this kid.

Curt Warner huh??

Originally posted by jreff22:
Nobody can answer this
  • titan
  • Veteran
Base on his pass accomplishment yes! His stats and his success will not be even near like what he had this year. But he is a good QB and not like, what's his name from Washington! LooKer!?Lol
AL #1, doh
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
I would say yes, unless he get a devastating injury.
cant wait to see him without Harbaugh.
Originally posted by Amir_Mamu:
even if...bradford got a shoulder injury, went 1st ovr anyway.

Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by Amir_Mamu:
even if...bradford got a shoulder injury, went 1st ovr anyway.

wasn't he injured 2 years ago? but anyway that year he was the only QB that was worth a first round pick.

With that said, next years class will be ridiculous with Kellen Moore,Matt Barkley and more than likely Andrew Luck coming out. And those aren't all of the QB's that could be available, Luck is an interesting situation because he's lost his mentor,3 key o-lineman, a couple of receivers. Stanford's coaching staff with the exception of Shaw is totally revamped, I have no idea how it'll affect Luck. Perhaps somehow he could outdo what he did last year which is almost impossible, the guy was incredible. He can still do good but not nearly as good as he was last season and show some weaknesses. Or he can tank because his protection isn't as good as before and the team is weaker than before.

Luck's 2010 season was about as good as it could get, but he'll likely fall off from last year because of how good his numbers were and Harbaugh won't be creating the plays being called anymore. David Shaw's plays were good but he was pass oriented, Roman was better with the running plays and Harbaugh came up with scheme and plays for the offense overall.
interesting stat i came across (maybe from mmqb)---luck hit 71% of his passes on 3rd down--gabbert hit 44% of his passes on 3rd down
Originally posted by hofer36:
interesting stat i came across (maybe from mmqb)---luck hit 71% of his passes on 3rd down--gabbert hit 44% of his passes on 3rd down

whats newton? I'll pass on alex smith!
Who is to say what will happen next year. Even if he is losing several OL and some WR, who is to say the replacements won't be as good or better. Even if they are not, scouts will take these things into account when they go over the tapes-like how much was the OL fault on this play or the WR on that play. Plus his father Oliver Luck will be there to support and advise him if he needs someone to talk to or advise him. Injuries won't disuade a team if he recovers in time, even it causes him a bad year-look at Ponder or whats his name with the Rams.

At any rate all this wishing and wanting to trade away picks this year for next just so you can have a crack at someone is foolish. What if you never stood a chance and the picks that are available then are worse than now? This would show me that the FO is of bunch of clowns.

If you believe in JH then you should believe he will come up with someone to lead the team now or later. Besides, I expect the niners to improve with Harbaugh. If they don't, then maybe he isn't all that. When I say improve it means at the very least, the same record, but the blow outs are a thing of the past and everygame is close or a better record.
I would not be upset at all to see the team trade back and pick up an extra 1 next year. Shoot I wouldn't mind a 2nd trade back to pick up a 3rd.

Trade back to an early 2nd this year and their 1st next. Trade our original 2nd for a 1st next. We have 11 picks in this draft and 3 1's to work with next year to move up for either Luck or Barkley. I would be very happy with either. One of the bad teams who drafts an early QB this year will be picking super high again next. We will be able to move for one of the two.
Share 49ersWebzone