There are 179 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Where to pick Gore's replacement?

Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
In next years draft. LaMichael James FTW!!!

Not a starting running back in the NFL though IMO

MAYBE a Darren Sproles

You think he's not an NFL starter? Look how hard he hits the line and is gone.

I am sold on him. I also would not mine Demarco Murray from Oklahoma.

hahaha trust me, you don't need to tell me how good he is. I've seen literally every single one of his games this year.. I've even seen him making out with his girlfriend in my apartment complex

Look at that clip at the 2 minute mark where he lowers his shoulder and pops that Arizona safety (who I think is an absolute punk). He is not only fast, but physical and deceptively strong for his size, which leads me to my concern...

He is WAY too small to take multiple hits from NFL sized DL and LB. I've seen the dude up close and he looks like a 12 year old kid. He doesn't even have good hands so teams couldn't use him as slot back and motion him around through screens and such.

I think the ceiling fro him is a great back up that can split the carries with a more bruising kind of back. If we keep Gore and spell him with some Carries with LMJ, then I'm more than all for it.

But as Gore's replacement for the future? no way he will last in this league as a full time starter. But Hey, I hope he proves me wrong because he brought us to the Rose Bowl and National Championship in my first 2 years of college
you know, the kid from Wisconsin can play well if he can stay healthy.. he didnt have the greatest numbers at the combine, but he was really productive with the Badgers.. Maybe he can be a steal in round 4 or 5.. he's got the size, 6'1" over 228 lbs..

John Clay, RB
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Big Dix

Not sold on Dix but he didn't get many chances until late. I would like to see either a special player, first or second round, or a quick guy who falls for some reason. I don't care as much about 40 times but quick burst and cutting.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Mar 3, 2011 at 6:36 PM ]
Originally posted by oldman9er:
We have our inside runners. I want a guy that can turn the corner and hurt defenses with speed. Fairly thick RB draft and lesser team needs can push some of these RBs further than you might think. I think we can wait until the 4th or later to scoop up a great value. Some preferred targets I am thinking of right now are Derrick Locke, Noel Devine, Da'Rel Scott, Mario Fannin, Roy Helu... maybe just maybe guys like Shane Vereen, Delone Carter, or Jordan Todman fall farther than we think...

Yes, I would also like to see a game breaker rather than another HB/FB tweener. I don't know that Gore will be back after talking to people about hip injuries. If they can zone in on a guy that will be there in the 4th...perfect! The 9ers have several pressing needs and they all won't be filled through FAs. Have seen some of the guys you mention but not enough to know how well they might do at the next level. Hope you are correct!
ive been a fan of noel devine since he was in high school...so i wouldnt might to see him as our change of pace guy..dont know about gores replacement though
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I wouldn't burn a high draft pick on a RB in 2011. Gore has another year or two left on the tires, and I think the team wants to incorporate Dixon in the running game much more in 2011. If the team elects to draft a late rounder on one, there will be guys who can contribute.

A couple of the best rookie backs last year were undrafted, Blount and Ivory. The system, and the ability get get snaps makes all the difference in the world. Maybe a guy who is really falling, like John Clay, can help.

For now, too many bigger issues: CB, OLB, NT, DE, QB.

The RB with the best hands in the draft is Brandon Saine, and it might not even be close. The Buckeyes split him out at receiver in many formations because his hands are that reliable. Something to consider as a WCO team.

Hope you are right about Gore but hip injuries are often the end of a career. Not sure of the severity though. Blount...please do not bring up the name! So close, yet so far away!
In next years draft. LaMichael James FTW!!!

Not a starting running back in the NFL though IMO

MAYBE a Darren Sproles

You think he's not an NFL starter? Look how hard he hits the line and is gone.

I am sold on him. I also would not mine Demarco Murray from Oklahoma.

hahaha trust me, you don't need to tell me how good he is. I've seen literally every single one of his games this year.. I've even seen him making out with his girlfriend in my apartment complex

Look at that clip at the 2 minute mark where he lowers his shoulder and pops that Arizona safety (who I think is an absolute punk). He is not only fast, but physical and deceptively strong for his size, which leads me to my concern...

He is WAY too small to take multiple hits from NFL sized DL and LB. I've seen the dude up close and he looks like a 12 year old kid. He doesn't even have good hands so teams couldn't use him as slot back and motion him around through screens and such.

I think the ceiling fro him is a great back up that can split the carries with a more bruising kind of back. If we keep Gore and spell him with some Carries with LMJ, then I'm more than all for it.

But as Gore's replacement for the future? no way he will last in this league as a full time starter. But Hey, I hope he proves me wrong because he brought us to the Rose Bowl and National Championship in my first 2 years of college

I got you man good points made. Another guy to watch out for is that Lattimore kid from SC. He is gonna be a beast in the future.
I wouldn't burn a high draft pick on a RB in 2011. Gore has another year or two left on the tires, and I think the team wants to incorporate Dixon in the running game much more in 2011. If the team elects to draft a late rounder on one, there will be guys who can contribute.

A couple of the best rookie backs last year were undrafted, Blount and Ivory. The system, and the ability get get snaps makes all the difference in the world. Maybe a guy who is really falling, like John Clay, can help.

The RB with the best hands in the draft is Brandon Saine, and it might not even be close. The Buckeyes split him out at receiver in many formations because his hands are that reliable. Something to consider as a WCO team.

I agree.... I wouldn't even worry about drafting Gore's replacement until he is done which could be 3 years from now. Worst comes to worst we use a 1st round pick then on a RB. I don't really like the idea because good RBs aren't impossible to find in others rounds. I still think we might think Dixon is the future. Either way I am not worried for now. If we do draft a RB it should be a mid to late round 3rd RB that is quick (scat back). As for John Clay I assume Dixon is our short yardage guy so even though I am a Badgers fan I am not sure he is a need. I am surprised Clay is down to 231 though... he spent most of the season at 260 or so which really hurt him. He's slower than expected but losing that weight maybe he can make it in the NFL. Still, I think we are looking for a quick 3rd rb not a bruiser.
  • buhda
  • Veteran
3rd. or 4th. this year Shane Vereen
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We got Pee Wee Dixon. It'll just be a waste of a draft pick. When Gore is done and if Pee Wee doesn't work out, then think about drafting a RB.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I don't know if I agree that we're looking for Gore's replacement.

But I'm a fan of drafting Shane Vereen, who I think could end up being an every down runner some day.

Beginning to like this kid after doing more research after his great combine effort
Da'Rel Scott showed very well at the Senior Bowl...also had a very good combine. He's got a nice combination of size/speed and catches the ball ok. There are others...Baron Batch from TT has some ability...didn't run a ton at TT, but he catches the ball exceptionally well. Helu, the kid from Nebraska, showed well at the combine and ran a 4.42. I don't see Baalke taking a RB 'til day 3, possibly. I believe they'll be thinking in terms of a 2-back system...to use two guys on a regular basis, even though one (Dixon) may be the primary starter.
Originally posted by Gore_21:

I agree.... I wouldn't even worry about drafting Gore's replacement until he is done which could be 3 years from now. Worst comes to worst we use a 1st round pick then on a RB. I don't really like the idea because good RBs aren't impossible to find in others rounds. I still think we might think Dixon is the future. Either way I am not worried for now. If we do draft a RB it should be a mid to late round 3rd RB that is quick (scat back). As for John Clay I assume Dixon is our short yardage guy so even though I am a Badgers fan I am not sure he is a need. I am surprised Clay is down to 231 though... he spent most of the season at 260 or so which really hurt him. He's slower than expected but losing that weight maybe he can make it in the NFL. Still, I think we are looking for a quick 3rd rb not a bruiser.

You may be right but currently, if Gore does not make it back, the 9ers have an untested second year back and then what? Hate to put off having a quick back for a change of pace. Someone who can get around the corner regularly.

So, David Carr at QB, Dixon at RB...this may be a really long year!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Mar 4, 2011 at 4:41 PM ]
Alex Green
Gore has gotten hurt every year and with the season maybe going to 18 regular season games it's hard for me to believe that Baalke and/or Harbaugh would not think about drafting a rb a little bit earlier than people think.
That being said Shane Vereen has solid value in the third and we would be stupid to pass him up. I know Vereen doesn't have the flair that Best or Jackson had coming into the NFL but he carried Cal last year.I like him to be the second best back in the draft.