2 DEN- DT Marcell Dareus (Alabama)
3 BUF- QB Cam Newton (Auburn)
4 CIN- CB Patrick Peterson (LSU)
5 ARI- DE Robert Quinn (UNC)
6 CLE- WR A.J. Green (Georgia)
7 SF- DE Von Miller (Texas A&M)

TRADE
SF gets: #33
NE gets: #45, #107, #114 (the two fourth rounders)

33 SF- QB Christian Ponder (Florida State)
76 SF- CB Brandon Burton (Utah)

I would like this draft a lot and I think it's reasonable given New England's track record of trading down. Given Ponder's recent rise I think it will be necessary to jump above the other QB-needy teams in the second to get him.
[ Edited by NewEraNiner on Mar 2, 2011 at 1:59 PM ]
Miller and Ponder would be a successful draft. We would still go after a CB and QB in FA, we would have addressed our needs.
I think there is to much value in those 4th rd picks to grab a guy who wont play for a year or 2. I`d stay put or even trade back before I would give up thos 2 4th rounders to grab a project QB.
Would love this draft, being a Texas A&M grad as well as a staunch supporter of Ponder. Although without a new CBA, we will see no trades on draft day.
Nice draft
Originally posted by CoachingMatters:
I think there is to much value in those 4th rd picks to grab a guy who wont play for a year or 2. I`d stay put or even trade back before I would give up thos 2 4th rounders to grab a project QB.

We need QB help now, and with no options for a starting QB, we should be actively seeking a starting QB through the draft. In my estimation, only three QBs in the draft could legitimately start within the first year: Gabbert, Locker, and Ponder. Every other QB seems to be a "project" (maybe Dalton too).
Originally posted by 9erguy:
Would love this draft, being a Texas A&M grad as well as a staunch supporter of Ponder. Although without a new CBA, we will see no trades on draft day.

Thanks 9erguy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think without a CBA there just won't be any trades involving players on draft day. Trades of picks (especially during the same draft) should be OK.
The rich get richer, and the poor get poorer
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Miller and Ponder would be a successful draft. We would still go after a CB and QB in FA, we would have addressed our needs.

Yeah I would still like to get an experienced West Coast QB (Palmer, etc.) for Ponder to learn from at least initially.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by CoachingMatters:

We need QB help now, and with no options for a starting QB, we should be actively seeking a starting QB through the draft. In my estimation, only three QBs in the draft could legitimately start within the first year: Gabbert, Locker, and Ponder. Every other QB seems to be a "project" (maybe Dalton too).

We definately do, But If he doesnt start he isnt worth the pick IMHO. And I dont think he will start. Im pretty sure Coach has his eyes on a few late rd QBs who he feels he can develope. And for that reason I dont believe we will reach on a QB. Id rather stay put in the 2nd and draft 2 qbs in the 4th rd.

Draft fulfills major needs. I'd prefer not to give up 2 4's but think it's realistic.
nice draft in general but i dont like the trade in particular...i'm not so high on ponder like u. and i do believe that we can get a qb with the same quality at our origin 2nd-round spot.
ponder had a nice senior bowl and a good combine respectively...but his season was avg and i dont forget that.
[ Edited by communist on Mar 2, 2011 at 7:18 PM ]
I think ariz grabs miller not quinn but if they go qb then we will get miller. Ponder we may have to move up but not to 33 maybe a few spots and lose one fourth not two.
Share 49ersWebzone