LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 234 users in the forums

Justin Houston?

I don't see any threads about Justin Houston, DE/OLB, Georgia. He's put up some impressive stats at the combine:

Height Weight 40 Time Bench Vertical Arm
6-3 270 4.63 30 36.5 34 1/2

One website claims that he's bulked up too much and maybe strictly a 4/3 defensive end. If he added weight, maybe he could slim down a bit and get some more mobility?
Could be a very good OLB if he slimmed down a bit.
Originally posted by tohara3:

isnt lamar woodley a biscuit under 270 lbs?
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by tohara3:

isnt lamar woodley a biscuit under 270 lbs?

IMO, he's a Woodley clone, and just like the Steelers, someone is going to get a steal because he doesn't have the proto-typical 3-4 body. If you want to see how good this guy is, watch the Kentucky game. He was the most dominant defensive player on the field...they seriously couldn't block him. He had a great game against my Vols too.

Give him a few years, and I kid you not, he could be every bit the OLB that Woodley is.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 28, 2011 at 7:50 PM ]
if he falls to the 2nd he would be worth moving up a few spots
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I like the kid... he reminds me of the type of LBs that Pittsburgh or the Patriots would draft... but we need to sit down and know how we gonna use this kid..

if we draft him, it should be because he can rush off the edge first, and drop into coverage once in a while second..

the guy is very physical and he's built to play in the 3-4..
If we land Peterson this kid needs to be looked at!! Peterson and Houston

Probably no shot at him unless we trade back up into the first or trade down. I am a little worried because he looked bad today in space. He fell down twice in one drill and really didn't look quick at all but he is 270. Still think he could be a great pass rushing player. I would definitely look at him if we trade down because he isn't making it to 45.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Probably no shot at him unless we trade back up into the first or trade down. I am a little worried because he looked bad today in space. He fell down twice in one drill and really didn't look quick at all but he is 270. Still think he could be a great pass rushing player. I would definitely look at him if we trade down because he isn't making it to 45.

But how often do you want him playing in space? Not often...you want him to kill the QB, and only drop in coverage as part of a zone blitz (smoke/mirrors). Not to mention, he can be taught to play with better balance and patience in his drops...but what he does have (natural pass rush ability and explosion off the edge in a 6'3", 270 lb frame) can't be taught.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

But how often do you want him playing in space? Not often...you want him to kill the QB, and only drop in coverage as part of a zone blitz (smoke/mirrors). Not to mention, he can be taught to play with better balance and patience in his drops...but what he does have (natural pass rush ability and explosion off the edge in a 6'3", 270 lb frame) can't be taught.

But has he shown that pass rush ability and explosion from a 2 point stance?

Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:

But has he shown that pass rush ability and explosion from a 2 point stance?

Yes. He played in a hybrid 3-4 defense where he spent time with his hand in the ground and as a standup LB. He showed explosion both ways (not sure why he wouldn't, btw).

Here's 1 example. The sacks came out of a 3-point stance, the TFL, pass break-ups and general disruption came out of a 2-point:

Ok but if you draft a guy high 1st round I would like him to be a 3 down player. I don't want to have to worry about him not being able to catch the guy around the edge or get burnt by TE's all day long if he is in coverage (Haralson on both accounts). Yes, you could just line him up on pass downs and say go get him but I'm just saying it would be nice if you have a guy that if asked to drop back can hold his own. I still like him but I think it's moot anyways because like I said unless we trade down or trade up into the 1st from the 2nd it won't happen.

Edit: Just looking at that video he looks much quicker but also a lighter. One site says he was at 259 in his sophomore year... he probably bulked up for the combine but depending on who picked him (3/4 or 4/3 team) he could drops some ILBs and get a little quicker.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 1, 2011 at 12:37 AM ]
I don't know much about him. Heard he had 10 sacks last year though. Is he a workout wonder or is he legit?
some say he's a sex addict!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by wailers15:
some say he's a sex addict!!!!!!!!!!!

wait wut
Share 49ersWebzone