There are 59 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Your 49ers top 7 if you were making the board on draft day.

1. Peterson
2. Quinn
3. Miller
4. Dareus
5. Gabbert
6. Prince
7. AJ Green
Originally posted by ninertico:


May I ask why you think Miller is risky? I can see Quinn, but Miller. Is it the "light in the seat" concept? Just curious.

Yeah, if you look at the top 3-4 OLBs they are all in the 260-265 or so range. Woodley, Suggs, Merriman (in the past), Ware, Porter, LT, etc. People will say Harrison but I don't think he is 240 and if he is he is much stronger and plays much more angry than Miller. Elvin Dumervill people will also say but he's 4 inches shorter. Jason Taylor might be one of the few at 6ft 6in 250. So yeah there might be a few but most of them, even back in the 90s just about all are bigger and stronger than Miller. And the few that where small like Miller where stronger and played with that mean streak. Kevin Green was probably around 250 but that guy would butt heads without a helmet on. Again, Harrison is nasty.

Even though Miller has gained weight which help and he could probably even go up to 250 he still doesn't have the frame that most of these top OLBs do. These guys are basically 4-3 DEs that can cover, move in space, etc. Not saying he can't work out though... he will have to work on getting stronger because you can't just run around tackles in the NFL. Plus we don't want him getting pushed around in the run game.

P.S. Greg Lloyd was another decent OLB for the Steelers. He was on the smaller side but again you know what he played angry.
From Wiki
Lloyd's son, Greg Jr., is a linebacker for the University of Connecticut football team, and he wears #95 like his father,[2] but the two do not have any contact with each other. In 2001, Lloyd was accused of sticking a gun in his son's mouth due to the 12-year old's bad grades in school, but two trials in 2004 ended in hung juries and a third was not pursued. In 2002, Lloyd pointed a gun at ex-wife Rhonda Lloyd's head, and he pleaded no contest to simple battery in 2004.

He had that mentality on the field.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 1, 2011 at 3:33 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by ninertico:


May I ask why you think Miller is risky? I can see Quinn, but Miller. Is it the "light in the seat" concept? Just curious.

Yeah, if you look at the top 3-4 OLBs they are all in the 260-265 or so range. Woodley, Suggs, Merriman (in the past), Ware, Porter, LT, etc. People will say Harrison but I don't think he is 240 and if he is he is much stronger and plays much more angry than Miller. Elvin Dumervill people will also say but he's 4 inches shorter. Jason Taylor might be one of the few at 6ft 6in 250. So yeah there might be a few but most of them, even back in the 90s just about all are bigger and stronger than Miller. And the few that where small like Miller where stronger and played with that mean streak. Kevin Green was probably around 250 but that guy would butt heads without a helmet on. Again, Harrison is nasty.

Even though Miller has gained weight which help and he could probably even go up to 250 he still doesn't have the frame that most of these top OLBs do. These guys are basically 4-3 DEs that can cover, move in space, etc. Not saying he can't work out though... he will have to work on getting stronger because you can't just run around tackles in the NFL. Plus we don't want him getting pushed around in the run game.

P.S. Greg Lloyd was another decent OLB for the Steelers. He was on the smaller side but again you know what he played angry.
From Wiki
Lloyd's son, Greg Jr., is a linebacker for the University of Connecticut football team, and he wears #95 like his father,[2] but the two do not have any contact with each other. In 2001, Lloyd was accused of sticking a gun in his son's mouth due to the 12-year old's bad grades in school, but two trials in 2004 ended in hung juries and a third was not pursued. In 2002, Lloyd pointed a gun at ex-wife Rhonda Lloyd's head, and he pleaded no contest to simple battery in 2004.

He had that mentality on the field.

I see your point, but disagree. The only reason is scheme. Sure Pitt, NE and Balti use larger OLBs like Woodley, Suggs, etc. Yet, Matthews exploded in the same D as Fangio where Capers used him as his ace. Miller fits the same bill even more so. I even see AZ going after Quinn more than Miller because he fits the "Steeler" backer mold more so than Miller, JMO.

I believe you underestimate just how good of a technician Miller is using his long arms, violent hands and an innate ability to position himself to make a play, every time...not just once.

You can see his trunk and the explosion within his legs, driving opposite direction with ease.

That's OK man. Matthews started at 240...Miller is six pounds ahead already without battin' an eye.

Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by ninertico:


May I ask why you think Miller is risky? I can see Quinn, but Miller. Is it the "light in the seat" concept? Just curious.

Yeah, if you look at the top 3-4 OLBs they are all in the 260-265 or so range. Woodley, Suggs, Merriman (in the past), Ware, Porter, LT, etc. People will say Harrison but I don't think he is 240 and if he is he is much stronger and plays much more angry than Miller. Elvin Dumervill people will also say but he's 4 inches shorter. Jason Taylor might be one of the few at 6ft 6in 250. So yeah there might be a few but most of them, even back in the 90s just about all are bigger and stronger than Miller. And the few that where small like Miller where stronger and played with that mean streak. Kevin Green was probably around 250 but that guy would butt heads without a helmet on. Again, Harrison is nasty.

Even though Miller has gained weight which help and he could probably even go up to 250 he still doesn't have the frame that most of these top OLBs do. These guys are basically 4-3 DEs that can cover, move in space, etc. Not saying he can't work out though... he will have to work on getting stronger because you can't just run around tackles in the NFL. Plus we don't want him getting pushed around in the run game.

P.S. Greg Lloyd was another decent OLB for the Steelers. He was on the smaller side but again you know what he played angry.
From Wiki
Lloyd's son, Greg Jr., is a linebacker for the University of Connecticut football team, and he wears #95 like his father,[2] but the two do not have any contact with each other. In 2001, Lloyd was accused of sticking a gun in his son's mouth due to the 12-year old's bad grades in school, but two trials in 2004 ended in hung juries and a third was not pursued. In 2002, Lloyd pointed a gun at ex-wife Rhonda Lloyd's head, and he pleaded no contest to simple battery in 2004.

He had that mentality on the field.

I see your point, but disagree. The only reason is scheme. Sure Pitt, NE and Balti use larger OLBs like Woodley, Suggs, etc. Yet, Matthews exploded in the same D as Fangio where Capers used him as his ace. Miller fits the same bill even more so. I even see AZ going after Quinn more than Miller because he fits the "Steeler" backer mold more so than Miller, JMO.

I believe you underestimate just how good of a technician Miller is using his long arms, violent hands and an innate ability to position himself to make a play, every time...not just once.

You can see his trunk and the explosion within his legs, driving opposite direction with ease.

That's OK man. Matthews started at 240...Miller is six pounds ahead already without battin' an eye.


Matthews is actually Thor
1.Peterson
2.Miller
3.Gabbert
4.Quinn
5.Amukamara
6.Green
7.J.Jones
Originally posted by ninertico:

I see your point, but disagree. The only reason is scheme. Sure Pitt, NE and Balti use larger OLBs like Woodley, Suggs, etc. Yet, Matthews exploded in the same D as Fangio where Capers used him as his ace. Miller fits the same bill even more so. I even see AZ going after Quinn more than Miller because he fits the "Steeler" backer mold more so than Miller, JMO.

I believe you underestimate just how good of a technician Miller is using his long arms, violent hands and an innate ability to position himself to make a play, every time...not just once.

You can see his trunk and the explosion within his legs, driving opposite direction with ease.


I hear you tico but I'm pretty sure Matthews was on roids or he was hitting the weights extra hard. There was a report of him and Cushing having tested positive but they tested clean at the combine. Then Cushing gets busted after his rookie year... hmmm

Either way though whoever we take I hope works out and obviously if Arizona takes the other one we will hope he doesn't. I got no problem with Miller I just hope we make the right choice if there is an option. I have my doubts about Quinn as well. We really need that 10-15 sack guy though. It's been so long.

If it where up to me though I would probably take Amukamara and hope like heck Brooks Reed falls to 45.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 1, 2011 at 10:26 PM ]
1. Peterson
2. Miller
3. Quinn
4. Amukamara
5. Dareus
6. Ponder
7. Fairley
[ Edited by 9erguy on Mar 2, 2011 at 6:22 AM ]
1. Patrick Peterson, CB
2. Von Miller, OLB
3. Robert Quinn, DE/OLB
4. Prince Amukamara, CB
5. Marcell Dareus, DT
6. Blaine Gabbert, QB
1.Patrick Peterson
2.Robert Quinn
3.Von Miller
4.Prince Amukamara
5.Marcell Dareus
6.Ryan Kerrigan
7.Cameron Jordan
Originally posted by Hopper:
1.Patrick Peterson
2.Robert Quinn
3.Von Miller
4.Prince Amukamara
5.Marcell Dareus
6.Ryan Kerrigan
7.Cameron Jordan

I agree with your #7. Should have put him on my list over Fairley.
Unless you have two players at the same level, and one is at a greater position of need, you have to always base your board on how you rank their ability to be great in the NFL. Here would be my board, if you put me on the clock today. All of these players have some question marks, and I am really tracking their Pro-Days to make a final conclusion. I have included what I want to see from each to solidy a final grade.

1) AJ Green- In drills, I want to see consistency in catching the ball.
2) Patrick Peterson- For Peterson, it is all about proving he can change directions quickly and effortlessly. I'd love to see him drop 10 pounds as well.
3) Marcel Dareus- Love the weight gain, especially as a potential for being a 3-4 NT prospect. Didn't love the reps at 24. Want to see him in the 30's in his Pro-Day.
4) Von Miller- Keep the weight at 245+, and continue working on playing in reverse.
5) Blaine Gabbert- Put on a show. I have no doubt he will do so. In the past few 6 years, the top QB prospect going into the Pro-Day portion of offseason workouts has played lights out at his Pro-Day. There is no reason to think that Gabbert breaks the trend (Bradford, Stafford, Ryan, Russell, Young, Smith)
6) JJ Watt- Continue to show the size, speed, strength combination that makes him special.
7) Cameron Jordan- See note on Watt.

One final note: It is tough to be a top level prospect and have character concerns. Discipline, devotion, love for yourself, team, city, and family usually bring out the best in athletes in the NFL. All of the guys on the list are considered quality guys, guys who do not have police blotter on them.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 2, 2011 at 10:46 AM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Unless you have two players at the same level, and one is at a greater position of need, you have to always base your board on how you rank their ability to be great in the NFL. Here would be my board, if you put me on the clock today. All of these players have some question marks, and I am really tracking their Pro-Days to make a final conclusion. I have included what I want to see from each to solidy a final grade.

1) AJ Green- In drills, I want to see consistency in catching the ball.
2) Patrick Peterson- For Peterson, it is all about proving he can change directions quickly and effortlessly. I'd love to see him drop 10 pounds as well.
3) Marcel Dareus- Love the weight gain, especially as a potential for being a 3-4 NT prospect. Didn't love the reps at 24. Want to see him in the 30's in his Pro-Day.
4) Von Miller- Keep the weight at 245+, and continue working on playing in reverse.
5) Blaine Gabbert- Put on a show. I have no doubt he will do so. In the past few 6 years, the top QB prospect going into the Pro-Day portion of offseason workouts has played lights out at his Pro-Day. There is no reason to think that Gabbert breaks the trend (Bradford, Stafford, Ryan, Russell, Young, Smith)
6) JJ Watt- Continue to show the size, speed, strength combination that makes him special.
7) Cameron Jordan- See note on Watt.

Do you agree with Mayock about franchise QBs like Gabbert trumping all other position so in this case Dareus, Miller or Peterson if all where available at #7?
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Unless you have two players at the same level, and one is at a greater position of need, you have to always base your board on how you rank their ability to be great in the NFL. Here would be my board, if you put me on the clock today. All of these players have some question marks, and I am really tracking their Pro-Days to make a final conclusion. I have included what I want to see from each to solidy a final grade.

1) AJ Green- In drills, I want to see consistency in catching the ball.
2) Patrick Peterson- For Peterson, it is all about proving he can change directions quickly and effortlessly. I'd love to see him drop 10 pounds as well.
3) Marcel Dareus- Love the weight gain, especially as a potential for being a 3-4 NT prospect. Didn't love the reps at 24. Want to see him in the 30's in his Pro-Day.
4) Von Miller- Keep the weight at 245+, and continue working on playing in reverse.
5) Blaine Gabbert- Put on a show. I have no doubt he will do so. In the past few 6 years, the top QB prospect going into the Pro-Day portion of offseason workouts has played lights out at his Pro-Day. There is no reason to think that Gabbert breaks the trend (Bradford, Stafford, Ryan, Russell, Young, Smith)
6) JJ Watt- Continue to show the size, speed, strength combination that makes him special.
7) Cameron Jordan- See note on Watt.

Do you agree with Mayock about franchise QBs like Gabbert trumping all other position so in this case Dareus, Miller or Peterson if all where available at #7?

I see the top 4 guys as Pro-Bowl caliber players. I don't see Gabbert as a Pro-Bowler, but just like Sam Bradford, a solid NFL QB in that next tier down in a few years.

I do not agree with Mayock in that way. A legit Pro-Bowler is a Pro-Bowler (there are a fair amount of phony Pro-Bowlers every year based on tradition, popularity, etc.). He is the best at what he does. The next level down is the next level down. Now, if both are Pro-Bowl type players, then the QB surely trumps everything.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 2, 2011 at 10:51 AM ]
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Unless you have two players at the same level, and one is at a greater position of need, you have to always base your board on how you rank their ability to be great in the NFL. Here would be my board, if you put me on the clock today. All of these players have some question marks, and I am really tracking their Pro-Days to make a final conclusion. I have included what I want to see from each to solidy a final grade.

1) AJ Green- In drills, I want to see consistency in catching the ball.
2) Patrick Peterson- For Peterson, it is all about proving he can change directions quickly and effortlessly. I'd love to see him drop 10 pounds as well.
3) Marcel Dareus- Love the weight gain, especially as a potential for being a 3-4 NT prospect. Didn't love the reps at 24. Want to see him in the 30's in his Pro-Day.
4) Von Miller- Keep the weight at 245+, and continue working on playing in reverse.
5) Blaine Gabbert- Put on a show. I have no doubt he will do so. In the past few 6 years, the top QB prospect going into the Pro-Day portion of offseason workouts has played lights out at his Pro-Day. There is no reason to think that Gabbert breaks the trend (Bradford, Stafford, Ryan, Russell, Young, Smith)
6) JJ Watt- Continue to show the size, speed, strength combination that makes him special.
7) Cameron Jordan- See note on Watt.

Do you agree with Mayock about franchise QBs like Gabbert trumping all other position so in this case Dareus, Miller or Peterson if all where available at #7?

I wanted to add that I see nothing wrong with the Niners selecting Gabbert. But, he is not going to be on the board. A QB is going to go top 5, or someone will jump up.
1. Patrick Peterson
2. Robert Quinn
3. Von Miller
4. Marcel Dareus
5. Prince Amukamara
6. Julio Jones
7. Ryan Kerrigan