LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 137 users in the forums

Your 49ers top 7 if you were making the board on draft day.

1. Miller
2. Peterson
3. Dareus
4. Quinn
5. Green
6. Prince
7. Kerrigan

Fairley and Bowers aren't 3-4 players.
[ Edited by Schulzy on Feb 28, 2011 at 7:40 PM ]
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Schulzy:
1. Miller
2. Peterson
3. Dareus
4. Quinn
5. Green
6. Prince
7. Kerrigan

Fairley and Bowers aren't 3-4 players.

IMO Bowers would be a great 3-4 DE to play on the other side of Justin Smith.
1. Patrick Peterson
2. Robert Quinn
3. Dareus
4. Cam Jordan
5. Von Miller
6. Prince
7. AJ Green
Peterson
Miller
Fairley
Prince
Dareus
AJ
Quinn
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
This is exciting, i love this kinda thread.. if Jim Harbaugh faxed me this note requesting to turn in MY TOP 10 DRAFT BOARD and reason for each, this is what it's gonna look like:

1) Cam Newton - If Im gambling on a QB in the 2nd or in the 3rd, then I may as well gamble on drafting one in the 1st round.. There's no reason why a guy is projected as a first rounder if he doesnt have the potential to be great.. Lets get real, the Joe Montanas, the Tom Bradys and the Johnny Unitas storyline only happens every 10 years..

2) Patrick Peterson - Just like Deion and Rod, taking away half of the field makes a defensive coordinator's life much easier.. Plus, this kid can help our DL get to the QB faster than any DL in this draft .

3) Marcell Dareus - He's the safest DL to draft in my opinion and my reason is simple.. he can play both NT and DT under the 3-4 scheme and he wont have a problem playing DT either if we ever change to a 4-3 scheme.

4) DaQuan Bowers - Id put him ahead of Dareus only if we were playing a 4-3 scheme.. Like Bruce Smith, he'll be a less effective DE under the 3-4..

5) Julio Jones - he would have been a heismann type of player had he gone to a school that threw more, or a school that spread the ball.. he learned a lot under coach Saban, but that offense never got to see his full potential.. Think of TO and Sterling Sharpe combined..

6) AJ Green - I really dont see a Randy Moss type of explosiveness in him, but for each time I watch him play,
he reminds me of Tim Brown.. He doesnt look like he's gonna put up some big numbers, then u look at his stats after the game and u'll see that he just had a 9 catches for 205 yards and 3 TDs.. all in the 2nd half..

7) Nick Fairley - he scares me cause for each time i watch him play, he would be a disruptive kinda player.. but when i look at hime, it's like he's not even that interested, and u cant have this kinda attitude in the pros.

8) Nate Solder - he's one of the players who i think that is very solid that you wont even notice how well he's done.. he's no Anthony Munoz or a young Boseli, but when it's all said and done, he's one of those Paul Gruber kinda OTs who played superbly for 10 to 12 years but never got the attention he deserved.

9) Jake Locker - for a guy to carry the UW on his shoulder all alone for the last 4 years, that should be enuff to tell you what kinda player he is.. this kid woulda been a better player than Tim Tebow had he gone to Florida.. Brett Favre had the same scouting report on him coming out of college and that's why he fell in round 2... but make no mistake, this kid just needs a coaches touch and you'll see a bigger, faster and stronger Brett Favre..

10) Ryan Kerrigan - many will argue of the spot for this kid, but as long as can produce, why wait and see if we can land him around the 15s or 20s? why not draft him this high? at least we know that motor alone and attitude alone, we'll get our money's worth..
1. CB Patrick Peterson

2. DL Marcell Dareus

3. DE/OLB Robert Quinn

4. DT Nick Fairley

5. CB Prince Amukamara

6. LB Von Miller

7. Trade back
1. Cam Newton
2. Patrick Peterson
3. Von Miller
4. Prince Amukamara
5. Robert Quinn
6. Marcell Dareus
7. Julio Jones

Just Outside:

AJ Green
JJ Watt
Aldon Smith

Players to Target if we Trade Back in the 1st Round:

Jake Locker
Mark Ingram
Jimmy Smith
  • Chief
  • Veteran
I had to change my top 7 to include Amukamara after his solid combine numbers.
Originally posted by Chief:

1. Von Miller, OLB
2. Robert Quinn, DE/OLB
3. Prince Amukamara, CB
4. Patrick Peterson, CB
5. Marcell Dareus, DT
6. Blaine Gabbert, QB
7. Look to trade back.

So you mean top seven from the seventh pick or the top seven players the niners have on the board period?
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by Chief:

1. Von Miller, OLB
2. Robert Quinn, DE/OLB
3. Prince Amukamara, CB
4. Patrick Peterson, CB
5. Marcell Dareus, DT
6. Blaine Gabbert, QB
7. Look to trade back.

So you mean top seven from the seventh pick or the top seven players the niners have on the board period?

Number 1 being the player I would draft first if all the players were still on the board.

1. Miller
2. Peterson
3. Darius
4. Green
5. Prince
6. Jordan
7. Julio

I love Quinn but I see him more as a pure 4-3 DE. So unless Miller or Peterson fall to us, I think Prince will be the pick.
Peterson
Amukamara
Green
Dareus
Quinn/Miller (I think both are risky)
Fairley

If we trade down:
Harris
Jimmy Smith
Watt
Jordan
J. Jones
Kerrigan (If he cuts his hair so he can see)
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 1, 2011 at 2:20 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Peterson
Amukamara
Green
Dareus
Quinn/Miller (I think both are risky)
Fairley

If we trade down:
Harris
Jimmy Smith
Watt
Jordan
J. Jones
Kerrigan (If he cuts his hair so he can see)

May I ask why you think Miller is risky? I can see Quinn, but Miller. Is it the "light in the seat" concept? Just curious.
Nick Fairley Auburn DT
A.J. Green Georgia WR
Marcell Dareus Alabama DT
Patrick Peterson LSU CB
Von Miller Texas A&M OLB
Robert Quinn North Carolina OLB
Prince Amukamara Nebraska CB
Peterson
Miller
Quinn
Green
Dareus