LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 287 users in the forums

Which QB gives us the best chance to win NEXT year?

Which QB gives us the best chance to win NEXT year?

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I'm not worried about next year, to be honest. Though I think our overall talent level and performance will get better, I don't think we'll see huge changes in terms of wins/losses until year three anyway. And I'm ok with that, so long as we're consistently trending in the right direction.

The Jets, Bucs, Rams, and Falcons all resurrected their franchises with the addition of a franchise QB.

I don't know if we can pull the same stunt, but we have the talent throughout the rest of the roster to make a similar jump, pending the addition of a franchise QB. Blaine Gabbert may not be as talented as Matt Ryan or Sam Bradford or Josh Freeman, but I'd be hard pressed to think he isn't as good as Mark Sanchez.

I'm not about to resign to loosing the next two years. That's Alex Smith talk. A rookie QB with an offensive minded coach can win NOW, not in 2014.

If people took that approach during the Walsh era, he would've been out of a job before 1981. All I'm saying is, if we don't manage to secure that franchise QB this year, we're likely going to be stuck with a losing record again. That won't mean we're not getting better as a franchise, because it sometimes takes a year or two to REALLY see results.

Guess what I'm saying is, even if we don't win next year, if we're building the right way, I'm ok with it...knowing that we're going in the right direction in a sustained fashion is more important than our winning % next year (IMO).

That's reasonable, even if its hard to take. We have a majority of the pieces in place to immediately switch from mediocrity to upper echelon, with a franchise QB.

Do you think trading up to secure Gabbert would be altogether positive, or put us further back on your timeline for success?

I like Gabbert, but I don't think he's the only guy in this draft that Harbaugh can mold into a winner. I think Ponder could be that guy and possibly even Dalton (to a lesser extent)....and I even believe he could make the corrections needed in Jake Locker to turn him into something special.

IMO, those are the guys that have the raw tools you need to play and succeed in a west coast offense. So I personally wouldn't move up to get Gabbert, knowing I could make other moves. Now, if Gabbert falls to #7, that would be interesting.

It would surprise me if Gabbert was there at 7, and if he was gone, I like going with Ponder in the 2nd (or even moving into the late 1st for him). I worry about Ponder holding up against injuries. But I guess that's a concern for any of these guys.

The reason I think Gabbert gives us the best chance NOW is he joins the club in late April and can join the skill position group to gain chemistry outside team facilities well before the CBA is passed. And with the limited armchair GM-ing I've done recently, I think Gabbert has the best set of tools to compete and win now. But what do I know
We should just go for McElroy or Kaepernick
Originally posted by Joecool:
We should just go for McElroy or Kaepernick

McElroy - Smart, Accurate, Low-Ceiling, NFL-ready - Probably a 6th - UDFA
Kaepernick - Smart, Athletic, High-Ceiling, 1 or 2 year project - 2nd - 4th

McElroy makes sense if we land Peterson in the 1st and an OLB in the 2nd, and all of the 2nd/3rd tweener QBs are gone.

Kaepernick would have to our 2nd pick, then go after a FA QB
[ Edited by NinerBuff on Mar 2, 2011 at 3:56 PM ]

Btw, I personally think we're farther away than most people want to believe:

~We have no QB AT ALL (most important position on any roster)
~We might not have a starting center in a few days
~Our WRs are talented but still unproven
~Our o-line is better, but not deep and still very inconsistent
~Our all-pro RB is not exactly young, he's coming off injury and he's in the last year of his contract
~We run a 3-4 and have almost nothing in terms of OLB/edge pass rusher
~We might not have a proven NT in a few days depending on what happens to AF
~We have over-priced, slow and old starting CBs
~We have huge question marks at both safety spots

I mean, yah...it could be worse. But we narrowly avoided finishing last in the worst division in football, and we have a ton of holes to fill.
nonono, you are absolutely wrong...if we find our qb of the future, we will be a pennerial superbowl contender...the pieces are in place and so on, did you really forget that "fact"???
  • cools
  • Veteran
Would love to see Palmer and Ponder as the Niner QB's
  • buhda
  • Veteran
Alex Smith because of the lock out and the situation with free agent QB..
Originally posted by buhda:
Alex Smith because of the lock out and the situation with free agent QB..

Not any more (after 9pm PT) then he will be just as a** backward as all the other QBs learning our new system. A draftee has the benefit of being a Niner for several months (or less, please less ) and could work out off premises with the skill position group i.e. Davis, Crabtree, Morgan, Walker, Ginn and co.
Share 49ersWebzone