LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 136 users in the forums

It's looking like...

Originally posted by fakers23:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Based on the current draft stock as I see it, it seems to me that we'll be picking between Quinn and Green. Green's statement about preparation really hurt him, and it's looking possible that Jones leap frogs him. Wes Bunting is actually reporting that as the more likely scenario. Miller goes top 5, and Fairly and Bowers don't drop passed 6 either. Once Peterson runs tomorrow he may cement himself as a top 3 player. So that's 5 players accounted for. If no QBs are taken, Dareus, AJ or Quinn will account for the 6th spot. My prediction is that a QB is picked (Gabbert) and we have all 3 of the listed to choose from, with AJ and Quinn much higher on the list. Just my $.05

We have more pressing needs then wideout.. If the top defense guys are gone... You trade down and get more picks..

This. It would be dumb for us to draft a WR at that pick. Trading back and getting more "starter" type picks would be much smarter than drafting a WR. I would rather us draft a RG over a WR...that's how bad I think us drafting a WR is at that spot.
we will not draft a wideout with our first pick for the 2nd year in a row. No way we use 2 consecutive top 10 picks on receivers.

Yes, AJ green is a stud and BY FAR the best receiver in this draft but receiver isn't one of our major issues that we MUST fill. We are not the lions of the Matt Millen era.

All this talk about julio jones being better is hysterical to say the least.

If Quinn is there at our pick, I feel as though that makes things real simple. I'm still hoping that Peterson falls to us though.
I'd be shocked and very disappointed if the Niners draft a receiver in the first round. Let's see - cornerbacks, pass-rushers and a quarterback are the areas of greatest need. Receiver? Come on! First round receivers are a bigger crapshoot than QB's. That would be just crazy.
If Green passes the Bengals, great chance we are picking him. The only other team that might pick him would be the Browns.
Originally posted by Go49erss:
If Green passes the Bengals, great chance we are picking him. The only other team that might pick him would be the Browns.

He wont get by Cle
Originally posted by TMays_isaBEAST23:
we will not draft a wideout with our first pick for the 2nd year in a row. No way we use 2 consecutive top 10 picks on receivers.

Yes, AJ green is a stud and BY FAR the best receiver in this draft but receiver isn't one of our major issues that we MUST fill. We are not the lions of the Matt Millen era.

All this talk about julio jones being better is hysterical to say the least.

If Quinn is there at our pick, I feel as though that makes things real simple. I'm still hoping that Peterson falls to us though.

100% we won't pick a receiver in the 1st 2 years in a row. Mostly because we didn't pick one last year. Teams don't strictly draft based on need (see Rodgers, Aaron; Bryant, Dez; Kolb, Kevin). This is my prediction, not desire
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
Based on the current draft stock as I see it, it seems to me that we'll be picking between Quinn and Green. Green's statement about preparation really hurt him, and it's looking possible that Jones leap frogs him. Wes Bunting is actually reporting that as the more likely scenario. Miller goes top 5, and Fairly and Bowers don't drop passed 6 either. Once Peterson runs tomorrow he may cement himself as a top 3 player. So that's 5 players accounted for. If no QBs are taken, Dareus, AJ or Quinn will account for the 6th spot. My prediction is that a QB is picked (Gabbert) and we have all 3 of the listed to choose from, with AJ and Quinn much higher on the list. Just my $.05

I think Mayock is right Dareus goes before Fairly. he also made the comment that CB isn't as highly sought after as Dline and linebacked based on the number of plays they're in on. If no qb goes, I think we choose between Fairly and Peterson. If this is the scenario I hope we're high on a QB otherwise Peterson.

If we had the opportunity to pick between Fairly and Peterson we win either way. At number 7 in this draft we sit on a gold mine of opportunities. If either of these two get to us it is because of a QB or two that was picked before. But in any case we will be rewarded with a good player.
Originally posted by filthyrich49er:
Originally posted by jojomellon:
Originally posted by GIMMEa6thSHIP:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Quinn will go top 2

Von Miller will go before Quinn

cough*AaronMaybin*cough

Miller looks awful at the combine except his 40 time
he just feels like Aaron Maybin to me. Extreeeemely undersized for a End pass rusher whether hes standing up or not. I have major reservations using a guy who plays at 235 to rush the passer and not get swallowed up by a LT.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by fakers23:

We have more pressing needs then wideout.. If the top defense guys are gone... You trade down and get more picks..

This. It would be dumb for us to draft a WR at that pick. Trading back and getting more "starter" type picks would be much smarter than drafting a WR. I would rather us draft a RG over a WR...that's how bad I think us drafting a WR is at that spot.

I agree Joe this is the best way but possible you think AJ Green is considered if he lands there? Just thinking out loud. We weren't supposed to have Crabtree and all accounts we were going to go defensive until Oakland made a mistake.

At the time we drafted Crabtree, we literally had no WR's. We can now afford to pass one up or decide on other options if a guy like Green is there because I'm sure other teams may want to trade to get him.
I think that when you get to pick a top rated cornerback in the top 15 of the first round, it's a relatively safe pick. Off the top of my head over the last 10 or 12 years, I can think of Charles Woodson, Champ Bailey, Quentin Jammer, Terence Newman, DeAngelo Hall, and Darrelle Revis as well as a few who weren't quite as good as these guys, but could definitely start for the Niners right now.

That's why I think Patrick Peterson is the safest and most valuable pick for the Niners if he's still there at seven.

Originally posted by GNielsen:
I think that when you get to pick a top rated cornerback in the top 15 of the first round, it's a relatively safe pick. Off the top of my head over the last 10 or 12 years, I can think of Charles Woodson, Champ Bailey, Quentin Jammer, Terence Newman, DeAngelo Hall, and Darrelle Revis as well as a few who weren't quite as good as these guys, but could definitely start for the Niners right now.

That's why I think Patrick Peterson is the safest and most valuable pick for the Niners if he's still there at seven.

Riiiiight.... But he is not likely to be...
We'll see. I agree with you that it will be surprising if Peterson is still there at seven, but I notice about five mock drafts that have him available there. At any rate, I don't think the Niners are going to pick a receiver at the seven spot no matter who it is. I think it's more likely that if Green is available there, they trade down with somebody and take Prince Amukamara a little later in the first and get some extra picks.
I think either Patrick Peterson or Prince Amukamara would be a heck of a great pick at the seven spot. I'd be happy with either guy. They've both got great speed and size and the team needs a starting corner. Plus, I think it's getting to the point where you have to scheme for a pass rush. But you can't get around weak cornerbacking with any kind of scheme.
Originally posted by jreff22:

He wont get by Cle

Clev might pick Jones after his amazing workout. I think he fits more with the type of offense that Shurmer is going to run.
Originally posted by jreff22:

He wont get by Cle

Clev might pick Jones after his amazing workout. I think he fits more with the type of offense that Shurmer is going to run.

I've read some information that eluded to the same
Share 49ersWebzone