LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

who do you expect to drop out of the top 10 in the draft

i say blaine gabbet but could be wrong or prince
Gabbert and Newton are good bets but i'm not sure they qualify as drops since they are not necessarily consensus top 10 picks. among the consensus I would say Dareus or Quinn
Assuming:

Patrick Peterson
Nick Fairley
A.J. Green
Da'Quan Bowers
Cameron Jordan
Marcell Dareus
Von Miller
JJ Watt
Robert Quinn
Prince Amukamara

Are the consensus top 10, and the possibilities for players selected instead of/ahead of them are: Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, Ryan Kerrigan, Aldon Smith, Julio Jones and MAYBE an OT,

then you have to think Dareus, Jordan and Quinn are the most likely suspects. If any of them have bad combines/pro days, one of the other DEs/OLBs could move up instead or they could be the one dropping down if a QB, OT or some surprise position makes it into the top 10.

If a couple QBs are taken, and say Peterson makes it to us, there is a chance Prince could fall past 10, but not by much.

I would say Dareus and Jordon are the most likely. But Quinn totally depends on the combine and workouts. If he looks great, he's a top 3 pick. If he looks like he hasn't worked out in a year, he could slide fast and far.
Prince is around a top ten pick so i say houston gets him after the top ten a few picks later. Lets just hope dallas doesnt trade up on front of us to get petersen if he is there at pick number six
My top 13 players in the draft.

RB Ingram, WR's Julio and AJ, DL Fairley, Bowers, Dareus, Watt, LB's Miller, Quinn, CBs Peterson, Prince and Smith.

And then Newton and Gabbert will go top 10-15.

But on topic, I think it could be prince or watt. But I can see Dareus falling if CLE passes on him. Then he fits perfectly with the Vikings at 12.

Others I like are, Cal DE Cameron Jordan, Purdue DE/LB Ryan Kerrigan and OTs Solder, Carimi.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
My top 13 players in the draft.

RB Ingram, WR's Julio and AJ, DL Fairley, Bowers, Dareus, Watt, LB's Miller, Quinn, CBs Peterson, Prince and Smith.

And then Newton and Gabbert will go top 10-15.

But on topic, I think it could be prince or watt. But I can see Dareus falling if CLE passes on him. Then he fits perfectly with the Vikings at 12.

Others I like are, Cal DE Cameron Jordan, Purdue DE/LB Ryan Kerrigan and OTs Solder, Carimi.

You just nailed most of the top 20 by bpa and by need. I say even though the two ots are not the top 20 in the draft they will be picked due to need. Throw in a guard.....pouncey and julio jones might slip past 20 unless the rams take him. Cb jimmy smith will be in there as well bc dal hou minn det need cb bad
Dareus. Does anyone want this guy? Here's my thoughts I could be wrong...

But in our system, a 3-4 system, you need a great nose and great linebackers. You don't need a great DE. You need a big body at the ends that can occupy offensive lineman. It's not expected (and near impossible) to rush the passer as a 3-4 end.

It would be a joke imo, to draft a 3-4 end at #7. That's what Dareus projects as, or am I wrong here? He doesn't seem big enough to play NT. In a 4-3 he'd be a fine DT I suppose. But a lot of the NFL is trending in the 3-4 direction. After all it's a copycat league and both Super Bowl teams ran 3-4. I feel he'll fall for these reasons.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Dareus. Does anyone want this guy? Here's my thoughts I could be wrong...

But in our system, a 3-4 system, you need a great nose and great linebackers. You don't need a great DE. You need a big body at the ends that can occupy offensive lineman. It's not expected (and near impossible) to rush the passer as a 3-4 end.

It would be a joke imo, to draft a 3-4 end at #7. That's what Dareus projects as, or am I wrong here? He doesn't seem big enough to play NT. In a 4-3 he'd be a fine DT I suppose. But a lot of the NFL is trending in the 3-4 direction. After all it's a copycat league and both Super Bowl teams ran 3-4. I feel he'll fall for these reasons.

Would it be ?

Was it when NE took Seymour at 6 or Warren at 13 ? Or Baltimore who took Ngata at 12 ? When Cincy (Lebeau was the HC at the time) took Justin Smith at 4 ?

When GB took Raji, he initially came in as a DE but has since moved over to nose. Tyson Jackson...the jury is still out on him (only 2 years in the league) but Pioli made the pick for the same reasons he and Belichick took Seymour and Warren high (albeit Jackson was a reach).

He might be able to play nose in a 1 gap 3-4 scheme, however most 3-4 teams will probably look at him as a 5 technique (3-4 end). Great 3-4 defenses start by winning in the trenches thus why in a copycat league a lot of the 3-4 teams take DL in the 1st round.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
I think Cam.
Dareus is the same size as RJF... who we are/were hoping would be Franklin's successor in the 3-4.

In a 1 gap 3-4, your DEs are NOT just there to soak up blocks. Some of you (not you, KRS-1) need to refresh or improve your knowledge of defenses before spouting BS.

Dareus has versatility for either 1-gap NT or DE. He's a top 5 talent.

To the topic, man, really hard to guess. If Von Miller weighs in at less than 245, I think he falls out of the 1st. Otherwise, the top 10 seems pretty set.
[ Edited by oldman9er on Feb 26, 2011 at 6:54 AM ]

Originally posted by oldman9er:
Dareus is the same size as RJF... who we are/were hoping would be Franklin's successor in the 3-4.

In a 1 gap 3-4, your DEs are NOT just there to soak up blocks. Some of you (not you, KRS-1) need to refresh or improve your knowledge of defenses before spouting BS.

To the topic, man, really hard to guess. If Von Miller weighs in at less than 245, I think he falls out of the 1st. Otherwise, the top 10 seems pretty set.

If he falls to 6 Cle will have a hard time passing him up.
  • evil
  • Veteran

You also can't look at a player like Dareus and what he brings to the base defense solely, because someone like Dareus could eventually push McDonald for snaps in the 4-3 nickel on passing downs in our system. When taking a player in the top 10 you want someone who is going to be more than a 2 down player and Dareus has show the ability to be exactly that.
Originally posted by KRS-1:

You also can't look at a player like Dareus and what he brings to the base defense solely, because someone like Dareus could eventually push McDonald for snaps in the 4-3 nickel on passing downs in our system. When taking a player in the top 10 you want someone who is going to be more than a 2 down player and Dareus has show the ability to be exactly that.

RayMac may not even be back... he's a FA or RFA. If I follow what you're saying, I agree... Dareus is more than just a 2 down player.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1:

RayMac may not even be back... he's a FA or RFA. If I follow what you're saying, I agree... Dareus is more than just a 2 down player.

You are following.
Share 49ersWebzone