LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 366 users in the forums

with 2 4ths 6ths 7ths

I do believe the niners will trade up for sure. We have pretty good depth at some positions and not all of these picks will make the team so based on that alone.....i think the ni ers will trade up for sure. Im betting in round 2 or 3 most likely 3 and give up one of our fourths. Or we will trade up in the second probably swapping seconds and giving up a fourth and maybe a sixth or seventh.

Do you think we will trade up and in which round?

I think whether we get miller petersen or a qb with the first pick we will have to trade up in the second or third round to address the cb qb or olb positions. So whichever position we draft in the first expect to trade up for a player at the position or positions we missed with our first pick.
Either trade up or trade for some next years picks. You seem to get more value by doing the latter. Trade a 4th and a 6th for a 3rd nect year. Profit
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by miked1978:
Either trade up or trade for some next years picks. You seem to get more value by doing the latter. Trade a 4th and a 6th for a 3rd nect year. Profit

Why not trade a 4th and a 6th for a 3rd this year?
I say if we don't pick Ponder or Dalton with our 2nd rounder, we likely trade up using our 3rd and a combination of other picks into the second half of round 2 to draft Dalton, Stanzi. or Kaepernick (Ponder will be gone early to mid 2nd), depending on who Harbaugh and Baalke are targeting. If there's one guy we like and we don't pick him with our 2nd rounder, I doubt we sit and wait to see if he lasts, even if it might be perceived as a reach.
I say we trade down in R1 (gain a pick in R2), trade up with R2 and R3 picks (into R1), and trade both R4 picks and the R5 pick to R3.

This would land:
CB Jimmy Smith
WR Jonathan Baldwin
QB Locker, Dalton or Ponder
OLB Dontay Moch

Details:
Trade #7 to Jacksonville for its #16 and #49 (The Jaguars could want to upgrade their QB) (Select Smith at #16, one QB at #49)
Trade #45 and #76 to Baltimore for its #26 (John Harbaugh helps out little brother) (Select Baldwin, 6043, 4.4)
Trade both 4th round picks and the 5th round pick to San Diego for its 3rd R, #18 (San Diego has no 4th or 5th round selections) (Select Moch)
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Feb 25, 2011 at 8:51 AM ]
Originally posted by elguapo:
I do believe the niners will trade up for sure. We have pretty good depth at some positions and not all of these picks will make the team so based on that alone.....i think the ni ers will trade up for sure. Im betting in round 2 or 3 most likely 3 and give up one of our fourths. Or we will trade up in the second probably swapping seconds and giving up a fourth and maybe a sixth or seventh.

Do you think we will trade up and in which round?

I think whether we get miller petersen or a qb with the first pick we will have to trade up in the second or third round to address the cb qb or olb positions. So whichever position we draft in the first expect to trade up for a player at the position or positions we missed with our first pick.

We had a couple 6s and 7s last year and somewhere I think Baalke said nobody really wants those in exchange for a 4th or whatever. You would think the way teams get steals they would rather have say 2 6s and a 7 over a 4th or whatever. I think the main problem is you start piling up those low round guys there is no room for them on the roster. You don't get enough time to evaluate them. It's hard finding spots for all 10-15 draft picks on your roster. You can put them on the practice squad but they can get signed off that.

I wouldn't be upset if we did though because we do have 2 of them. If we had 1 of each I would pass because you wouldn't want to be out of 2 full rounds. I would probably offer the a few 6s/7s for a 4th or 5th but that is kind of what I mentioned above. I think we could use all 10 players right now though. More information is out there these days and guys are getting looked at closer so you can get steals in the late rounds more and more.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Feb 25, 2011 at 5:31 PM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by miked1978:

Why not trade a 4th and a 6th for a 3rd this year?

agree
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
I say we trade down in R1 (gain a pick in R2), trade up with R2 and R3 picks (into R1), and trade both R4 picks and the R5 pick to R3.

This would land:
CB Jimmy Smith
WR Jonathan Baldwin
QB Locker, Dalton or Ponder
OLB Dontay Moch

Details:
Trade #7 to Jacksonville for its #16 and #49 (The Jaguars could want to upgrade their QB) (Select Smith at #16, one QB at #49)
Trade #45 and #76 to Baltimore for its #26 (John Harbaugh helps out little brother) (Select Baldwin, 6043, 4.4)
Trade both 4th round picks and the 5th round pick to San Diego for its 3rd R, #18 (San Diego has no 4th or 5th round selections) (Select Moch)

Full credit for imagination, but get real. The Niners making three trades involving 6 picks to get guys they could get by standing pat? Never going to happen.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
if everything goes well like last year, we may end up with

Peterson, CB - LSU (1st Round)
Williams, CB - Texas (2nd Round)

and make a trade in the mid 2nd round (giving up a 3rd and a 6th) for:

Ponder, QB - (FSU)
Would love to see us trade up into the first for ponder. Or take stanzi in the 2nd, trade up back into the 2nd to get carmichael or brooks reed.

Originally posted by 9moon:
if everything goes well like last year, we may end up with

Peterson, CB - LSU (1st Round)
Williams, CB - Texas (2nd Round)

and make a trade in the mid 2nd round (giving up a 3rd and a 6th) for:

Ponder, QB - (FSU)

I would love that too but no way we get two cbs in the first and second rounds. Those would be bpa picks but we would have to address an olb in the first or second round
Share 49ersWebzone