LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

What happens if?

If Harbaugh trusts Alex than I will hate it but I trust that he can get the most out of him. Even more than Norv did because Harbaugh will have him more than one year. However, I feel like he is just saying these things because of the CBA situation and, having Alex at Qb who at least knows the team is better than Carr or a new Qb at the last minute. As a fan, i just can't take it anymore. i would rather put my hope in any rookie or free agent than in smith. at least with them i can say, their young, or they need to adjust to NFL, but with Alex i am out of excuses. He played for Helix High down in SD where i'm from so I wanted the guy to work out. But if the guy needs 5 years to learn to throw the ball away on 1st and 2nd down to prevent 3rd and long, than i don't know how far Harbaugh can go with him. The image from the Saints game this year will forever be burned into my head... the roll out to the left, fumble/strip for 6 just kills me...
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
screw awards, so yeah he has a NATional Title.

AJ has had more starts and is more ready than Newton.

The draft is for the future not just the next year.

I am not sure about Cam Newton, but if he is there it is going to be tempting.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
If Harbaugh trusts Alex than I will hate it but I trust that he can get the most out of him. Even more than Norv did because Harbaugh will have him more than one year. However, I feel like he is just saying these things because of the CBA situation and, having Alex at Qb who at least knows the team is better than Carr or a new Qb at the last minute. As a fan, i just can't take it anymore. i would rather put my hope in any rookie or free agent than in smith. at least with them i can say, their young, or they need to adjust to NFL, but with Alex i am out of excuses. He played for Helix High down in SD where i'm from so I wanted the guy to work out. But if the guy needs 5 years to learn to throw the ball away on 1st and 2nd down to prevent 3rd and long, than i don't know how far Harbaugh can go with him. The image from the Saints game this year will forever be burned into my head... the roll out to the left, fumble/strip for 6 just kills me...

nope harbrough is currently trying to sign smith if he was doing it cause CBA he wouldve waited after draft or at least wait a while to get another qb and not try to sign him before fa starts
Originally posted by lamontb:
Give me Newton. Need a qb way more than a WR. Minus Fitzgerald in 08 somebody name me a top 10 drafted WR that has led his team anywhere in the last 10 years?
Harbaugh is not going to be perfect. on film i think most coach's can see that Smith is talented. Smith just plays scared. don't know how harbaugh will fix that. Jim has only been here for a month and a half. Articles have said that he hasn't really focused on the draft yet. maybe once he starts evaluating college kids he might like what he see's there. with the cba/FA crap going on we are not going to here what he thinks about possible QB upgrades because they can't talk with other teams. Baelke has said the future Qb is not on the roster. i'd hoped that meant Harbaugh and him saw eye to eye since people say that they are thinking the same. we will see...
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Newton

- did far more in his college career
- far more successful resume
- more important position (most important in fact)
- a position of need for the 49ers (WR is not)
- a good WR needs a good QB (see Larry Fitz) not the other way around
- no QB prospect has been quite as big and fast as Newton, many have been as big and fast as Green at WR
- if we hit on Green we get Calvin Johnson (and despite Johnson the Lions are still losers without a QB) if we hit on Newton we get a top QB which could put us in a position to compete for championships for the next decade.

I have to add that this thread title is hideous. "What happens if?"

Here's a thought, give people some idea of what your thread is about with the title.

huh, how did Cam do more, he has 14 career starts, AJ Has and was a dynamic WR.

Won more awards and carried a team on his back to the National Championship. He accomplished more in those 14 starts for the University of Auburn than Green did in more starts for Georgia. That is beyond any dispute.

Green

YEAR REC YDS TD
2008 56 963 8
2009 53 808 6
2010 57 848 9

Note that his numbers are surprisingly pedestrian given how much talent he has. I do not doubt his talent.

2009 All-SEC First Team (Coaches, ESPN)
2008 All-Freshman First Team (CFN, TSN)
2008 All-SEC First Team (AP)
2008 SEC Freshman of the Year (Coaches)
2007 All-American (Parade)

Newton

Passing Stats
185/280, 66%, 2854 yds, 30 TD, 7 INT, 182.05 rating

Rushing Stats
264, 1473 yds, 5.6 avg, 20 TDs

2010 AP Player of the Year Award
2010 Consensus All-America
2010 Davey O'Brien Quarterback Award
2010 Heisman Trophy
2010 Maxwell Award
2010 SEC Offensive Player of the Year
2010 Walter Camp Player of the Year Award
National Champion

Think about it this way... if you favorite college team could have had the success Georgia had under the Green years or what Auburn had in one year with Newton... every college fan in America would have taken the National Championship over being a solid team with a potent wideout, nothing more.

Think about it this way, college stats mean very little when it comes to judging NFL caliber talent. Archie Griffin won the Heisman twice, back to back. Based on his accolades, one could argue he was the greatest college football player EVER. He played 7 years in the NFL with the Bengals before being demoted to the USFL.

College Stats:
Rushing: 5177 yards, 26 touchdowns

-Heisman Trophy finalist (5th in voting as a sophomore)
-Heisman Trophy winner (as a junior)
-Heisman Trophy winner (as a senior)
-NCAA records for 100-yard games (33) and consecutive 100-yard games (31)
-NCAA record for most average yards per carry-6.13
-Fifth in NCAA rushing with 5,177 yards
-The only player to lead OSU in rushing four-consecutive years
-One of two players to start four Rose Bowl games
-Big 10 Most Valuable Player Award twice (1973-1974)
-United Press International named him Player of the Year twice (1974-1975),
-Walter Camp Foundation named him top player twice (1974-1975),
-Maxwell Award (1975),
-Sporting News Man of the Year (1975).

NFL stats OVER THE SPAN OF 7 YEARS
Rushing: 2808 yards, 7 touchdowns
Receiving: 192 catches, 1607 yards, and 6 touchdowns.

I think the real stats speak for themselves
give me a break, Newton is a gmmicky QB like Gabbert, ala VY.

Green is a dynamic WR and would be a no brainer for us at 7 if all are not there.
Newton

- no QB prospect has been quite as big and fast as Newton, many have been as big and fast as Green at WR
- if we hit on Green we get Calvin Johnson (and despite Johnson the Lions are still losers without a QB) if we hit on Newton we get a top QB which could put us in a position to compete for championships for the next decade.

Here's a thought, give people some idea of what your thread is about with the title.

Won more awards and carried a team on his back to the National Championship. He accomplished more in those 14 starts for the University of Auburn than Green did in more starts for Georgia. That is beyond any dispute.

Green

YEAR REC YDS TD
2008 56 963 8
2009 53 808 6
2010 57 848 9

Note that his numbers are surprisingly pedestrian given how much talent he has. I do not doubt his talent.

Newton

Passing Stats

Rushing Stats

2010 Heisman Trophy
2010 Maxwell Award
National Champion

Think about it this way... if you favorite college team could have had the success Georgia had under the Green years or what Auburn had in one year with Newton... every college fan in America would have taken the National Championship over being a solid team with a potent wideout, nothing more.

Think about it this way ... Green's talents translate seamlessly to the NFL. The jury is way out on Cam Newton - a guy that has yet to play in a pro style offense, a run-first QB (seriously - 284 pass attempts and 260 rushes???), with character issues that are replenished every time he opens his mouth.

I could care less about what accolades they earned in college - Tim Tebow is considered one of the 5 greatest college players in history by many accounts - you want him? Manning won nothing in college. Brady same. Steve Young same. Aikman same. Favre same. I'll take the guys that can actually perform in the NFL. The Davey O'Brien award means absolutely nothing to me.

Green is a dynamic WR and would be a no brainer for us at 7 if all are not there.

Very true, if he's available there's no way you can pass on him. AJ Green, Crabtree, and Morgan would make a solid WR's group especially if Kyle Williams develops.

We would have ridiculous talent on offense with our skilled position players. Only question marks would be the QB and how good the o-line chemistry is.
  • dwett
  • Veteran

I agree with you there. I just wish I knew how Crabtree was going to turn out. Picking two WRs in the top ten in a 3 year span make me feel like a Lions fan. Although having Green on one side and Crabtree on another??? OK you sold me

Originally posted by GIMMEa6thSHIP:
Newton

Green

YEAR REC YDS TD
2008 56 963 8
2009 53 808 6
2010 57 848 9

Newton

Passing Stats

Rushing Stats

2010 Heisman Trophy
2010 Maxwell Award
National Champion

Think about it this way, college stats mean very little when it comes to judging NFL caliber talent. Archie Griffin won the Heisman twice, back to back. Based on his accolades, one could argue he was the greatest college football player EVER. He played 7 years in the NFL with the Bengals before being demoted to the USFL.

College Stats:
Rushing: 5177 yards, 26 touchdowns

-Heisman Trophy finalist (5th in voting as a sophomore)
-Heisman Trophy winner (as a junior)
-Heisman Trophy winner (as a senior)
-NCAA records for 100-yard games (33) and consecutive 100-yard games (31)
-NCAA record for most average yards per carry-6.13
-Fifth in NCAA rushing with 5,177 yards
-The only player to lead OSU in rushing four-consecutive years
-One of two players to start four Rose Bowl games
-Big 10 Most Valuable Player Award twice (1973-1974)
-United Press International named him Player of the Year twice (1974-1975),
-Walter Camp Foundation named him top player twice (1974-1975),
-Maxwell Award (1975),
-Sporting News Man of the Year (1975).

NFL stats OVER THE SPAN OF 7 YEARS
Rushing: 2808 yards, 7 touchdowns
Receiving: 192 catches, 1607 yards, and 6 touchdowns.

I think the real stats speak for themselves

I think you missed the point. Someone tried to tell me AJ had a better COLLEGE career than Cam Newton. I wasn't having that BS. This was all about who had the better college career.
Give me Newton. Need a qb way more than a WR. Minus Fitzgerald in 08 somebody name me a top 10 drafted WR that has led his team anywhere in the last 10 years?

Andre Johnson? but, i'm not even sure he was drafted in the top 10. I agree with you. I say if all those guys are gone, it means we trade down. pile some picks
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:

Andre Johnson? but, i'm not even sure he was drafted in the top 10. I agree with you. I say if all those guys are gone, it means we trade down. pile some picks

I agree that we need a qb more than a receiver but it sort of depends on whether you believe Newton is your franchise qb for the next 10-15 years. Because Green will be productive in the NFL for a decade, very little down side to picking him in the top 10. Newton could be a huge bust. The boom/bust risk is, for me, enough not to take him with the 7th pick overall. I just don't think he's a franchise qb.
Originally posted by midrdan:
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:

I agree that we need a qb more than a receiver but it sort of depends on whether you believe Newton is your franchise qb for the next 10-15 years. Because Green will be productive in the NFL for a decade, very little down side to picking him in the top 10. Newton could be a huge bust. The boom/bust risk is, for me, enough not to take him with the 7th pick overall. I just don't think he's a franchise qb.

Top WRs bust at the same rate top QBs do.

It's too early to tell with recent athletes so this is starting in 2004 and looking at the 5 year period from 2000-04. This is looking at top 10 picks during that time frame.

QBs

Eli Manning
Philip Rivers
Carson Palmer
Byron Leftwich (Bust)
David Carr (bust)
Joey Harrington (bust)
Mike Vick

57% success

WRs

Peter Warrick (bust)
Plaxico Burress
Travis Taylor (bust)
David Terrell (bust)
Koren Robinson (bust)
Charles Rogers (bust)
Larry Fitzgerald
Roy Williams
Reggie Williams (bust)

33% success

I was even surprised at these results as I thought it'd be 50/50 for both positions. Probably these are especially bad years for WRs. But regardless, the thought WRs are safer is a total myth.
Cam Newton or Green would be fine with me. i think Cam is cocky and thats a good thing for a qb to be if he can back it up, like Cam did on every level hes played at. Green is a monster and i wouldnt mind him either with crabtree on the otherside and Morgan in the slot.
Share 49ersWebzone