MadDog49er Pre-Combine Big 150 Board

Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Oh no you didn't.

Look, i can understand lowering Stanzi a tad bit because i rep him so highly and it's a way for you to take a shot at me personally.

But 126. Really MD?

ESPN's Mel Kiper believes that Iowa QB Ricky Stanzi "deserves to be a second-round pick."
Whereas Jake Locker completed 51.1 percent of his third-down passes, Stanzi's rate was 59.2. Stanzi went 26-9 as a starter and 3-0 in bowl games, compared to Locker's 15-25 career record. But Stanzi's forty time isn't as good as Locker's. And Stanzi wasn't "supposed" to be last year's No. 1 overall pick.

Also, i like Kaepernick but 20 something spots ahead of Dalton and Ponder? Again, i feel like you're doing this just to upset me.

It's working.

Maybe in my Big 150 board i won't even rank Gabbert at all. How do you like that?

Cheers!

As if MD is the only one . . .

NFLDraftScout: #105
The Huddle Report: #123
DraftTek: #121
New Era: #152
GBN: Unranked in their Top 150

The only exception putting him north of the 4th round that I could find is the National Football Post with him at #80

Is the personal angle a gag?

All suck. No better than a joe nobody

just like you when it comes to player evaluations

Um, considering none of these player have played a single nfl snap how can you judge my player evaluations?

Because you don't write for a respectable source and no one knows who the hell you are.

hence, you = joe nobody

Mayock, Bunting, Kiper, and Wright are significantly more "respectable sources" than the sources you provided and MadDog. Mayock, Bunting, Kiper, and Wright all agree that 126th ranking is SIGNIFICANTLY too low for Ricky Stanzi. So while i may be a joe nobody, at least i'm of a similar opinion to the more "respectable sources".
Oh no you didn't.

Look, i can understand lowering Stanzi a tad bit because i rep him so highly and it's a way for you to take a shot at me personally.

But 126. Really MD?

ESPN's Mel Kiper believes that Iowa QB Ricky Stanzi "deserves to be a second-round pick."
Whereas Jake Locker completed 51.1 percent of his third-down passes, Stanzi's rate was 59.2. Stanzi went 26-9 as a starter and 3-0 in bowl games, compared to Locker's 15-25 career record. But Stanzi's forty time isn't as good as Locker's. And Stanzi wasn't "supposed" to be last year's No. 1 overall pick.

Also, i like Kaepernick but 20 something spots ahead of Dalton and Ponder? Again, i feel like you're doing this just to upset me.

It's working.

Maybe in my Big 150 board i won't even rank Gabbert at all. How do you like that?

Cheers!

The only exception putting him north of the 4th round that I could find is the National Football Post with him at #80

Um, considering none of these player have played a single nfl snap how can you judge my player evaluations?

Because you don't write for a respectable source and no one knows who the hell you are.

hence, you = joe nobody

Mayock, Bunting, Kiper, and Wright are significantly more "respectable sources" than the sources you provided and MadDog. Mayock, Bunting, Kiper, and Wright all agree that 126th ranking is SIGNIFICANTLY too low for Ricky Stanzi. So while i may be a joe nobody, at least i'm of a similar opinion to the more "respectable sources".
Oh no you didn't.

But 126. Really MD?

It's working.

Cheers!

hence, you = joe nobody

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Damn, Swagg triple post?
When I look at Locker and his flaws, I wonder if they are fixable flaws. Can his accuracy problems be solved by better mechanics?
I'll be very surprised if MadDog is correct and they take Gabbert. I'll be surprised if they take ANY quarterback in the first round and it's because of Harbaugh. But Gabbert is a spread guy. Are they going to do that again? He says all the right things, but most of them do, especially those who work with Tom Condon.

I think that Pat Peterson will be there and they'll take him. If Peterson's not there, but Von Miller is, they'll take Miller. I think they'll take a QB in the second or third round because Harbaugh knows how to coach a quarterback.
As far as Locker is concerned, I remember an interview early on with Harbaugh on quarterbacks. He said decision-making is easier to coach than accuracy and that there is a certain quality of "he's either got it or he doesn't" to the issue of accuracy. The kid who may drop into the second, but who everyone agrees is very accurate, is this Colin Kaapernick (spelling?). Also, evidently Christian Ponder is very accurate.
Oh no you didn't.

But 126. Really MD?

It's working.

Cheers!

hence, you = joe nobody

You are so biased on your man-love for Stanzi that you blind yourself to the truth.

Right now, he has about a mid 4th round grade. Some have him as a 3-4th rounder, others as a 4th-5th.

If you take all the decent rankings currently available, the highest actually ranking I can find is Wright's 88. Others call him a solid 3rd, but usually 3rd-4th. So, if you give a scores of say, a 70, 90, and 100 to account for the descriptions (without rankings) that guys like Kiper, Bunting and Mayock have given him, and combine and average them with the rankings given earlier, he averages out to about a 115.

A mid 4th rounder. Which is the general consensus.

Could he shoot up into the 3rd with a great combine and workouts? Sure. Could he tumble into the late 5th or beyond with poor showings or interviews? Also a very real possibility.

To completely dismiss the idea that a 4th round selection could move up or down a round at this point in the process, and to simply dismiss anyone who disagrees with you shows YOUR bias, not anyone the bias of anyone else, nor the credibility (or lack thereof) of either set of sources.
I'll be surprised if the first round pick isn't Peterson, Miller or Quinn and I believe one of those guys will be available. I'll be surprised if they don't take a QB in the second round.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Oh no you didn't.

But 126. Really MD?

It's working.

Cheers!

hence, you = joe nobody

You are so biased on your man-love for Stanzi that you blind yourself to the truth.

Right now, he has about a mid 4th round grade. Some have him as a 3-4th rounder, others as a 4th-5th.

If you take all the decent rankings currently available, the highest actually ranking I can find is Wright's 88. Others call him a solid 3rd, but usually 3rd-4th. So, if you give a scores of say, a 70, 90, and 100 to account for the descriptions (without rankings) that guys like Kiper, Bunting and Mayock have given him, and combine and average them with the rankings given earlier, he averages out to about a 115.

Could he shoot up into the 3rd with a great combine and workouts? Sure. Could he tumble into the late 5th or beyond with poor showings or interviews? Also a very real possibility.

To completely dismiss the idea that a 4th round selection could move up or down a round at this point in the process, and to simply dismiss anyone who disagrees with you shows YOUR bias, not anyone the bias of anyone else, nor the credibility (or lack thereof) of either set of sources.

What math world do you live in bro? I just told you Kiper, Bunting, Mayock, and Wright all gave Stanzi a 2nd round grade. No grey area there. They said 2nd round. Not 3rd. Not 4th. They said 2nd round. What don't you get about that?

I'm not completely dismissing the idea of a 4th round selection. NOBODY knows what GM's are thinking. BUT MD says he bases his rankings off of credible sources. So are you telling me that Kiper, Bunting, Mayock and Wright aren't some of the more credible sources that we have? If you say they are, then you'd have to DISAGREE w/ MD's ranking of 126 (almost 5th round) for Stanzi. If you say they aren't, then you don't follow the draft well enough over the past few years.

• GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I'll be very surprised if MadDog is correct and they take Gabbert. I'll be surprised if they take ANY quarterback in the first round and it's because of Harbaugh. But Gabbert is a spread guy. Are they going to do that again? He says all the right things, but most of them do, especially those who work with Tom Condon.

I think that Pat Peterson will be there and they'll take him. If Peterson's not there, but Von Miller is, they'll take Miller. I think they'll take a QB in the second or third round because Harbaugh knows how to coach a quarterback.

It appears to me that Peterson, Quinn and Miller may all be of the board at #7. And I believe that Harbaugh has said that Qb is the most important position, so if he Likes Gabbert then he will not even hesitate.

I donot agree that Gabbert is another Alex Smith. Gabbert seems to have more confidence that just my opinion.
Well, I agree with that. I think Gabbert is a much stronger personality with more fire in the belly. But, my feeling is that as someone who knows how to get the most out of the position, Harbaugh sees a lot of value and depth in the 2nd to middle rounds - guys he can work with.

But, you might be right. Harbaugh is also a schemer and he may just be blowing smoke at everyone with his praise of Alex Smith, trying to convince other teams that he's NOT going to take a QB in the first. With Harbaugh there, I wouldn't at all be disappointed if he takes Gabbert with the seventh pick. I just don't expect them to do that.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Oh no you didn't.

But 126. Really MD?

It's working.

Cheers!

hence, you = joe nobody

What math world do you live in bro? I just told you Kiper, Bunting, Mayock, and Wright all gave Stanzi a 2nd round grade. No grey area there. They said 2nd round. Not 3rd. Not 4th. They said 2nd round. What don't you get about that?

I'm not completely dismissing the idea of a 4th round selection. NOBODY knows what GM's are thinking. BUT MD says he bases his rankings off of credible sources. So are you telling me that Kiper, Bunting, Mayock and Wright aren't some of the more credible sources that we have? If you say they are, then you'd have to DISAGREE w/ MD's ranking of 126 (almost 5th round) for Stanzi. If you say they aren't, then you don't follow the draft well enough over the past few years.

First off what YOU tell me and what I've read are not the same thing.

From Bunting's own website:

Ricky Stanzi: Iowa

He’s an interesting guy to take a look at in rounds 3-4 because he has some upside with his physical skill set and you know he’s going to do everything it takes Monday-Saturday in order to win for you on Sunday.

Wright's rankings: Stanzi is 88, which in my math world is the bottom half of the 3rd round.

Scout's Inc has him graded as a "71", which makes him at the bottom level of a "good prospect" and a likely 3rd rounder.

I've yet to see Kiper or Mayock give him a specific ranking, but neither have him above top 5 (Kiper) or 6-7 (Mayock) on their position specific lists. So, that puts him MAYBE as a late 2nd, but probably a mid -3rd rounder at best.

So the "gray" area is that:

1. You don't have your fact straight. You take anything you can find and hear only what you want.

2. Even among your own sources he is NOT being given a clear 2nd round grade.

3. No one said the sources you like aren't credible, just that they aren't the ONLY credible sources out there. Being on TV doesn't make your more correct than other sources, just more famous. YOU are the one questioning sources.

4. MD does NOT base his rankings on "sources", he may use them for research, but the rankings are HIS. That's the point. Feel free to disagree, I disagree with him plenty. He's been wrong, he's been dead on when the "experts" all fell for the hype. But it's HIS opinion, not his opinion based on other people's rankings.

5. You are the one thinking his rankings are personal and dismissing any ideas other than your own and those that disagree with you because they must jabs at you or using sources that "suck" and aren't better than "joe nobody" because they disagree with you, the very definition of "joe nobody".

Get over it. Someone has a different opinion than you. Deal with it. Either defend your position or shut up. But claiming it is some kind of attack or that no other sources but yours are acceptable is NOT defending your position. It's hiding behind BS.

Especially when MD has built up WAY more credibility on this board than just about anyone else when it comes to draft rankings.
[ Edited by TexasNiner on Feb 26, 2011 at 10:37 AM ]
Double Post
[ Edited by TexasNiner on Feb 26, 2011 at 10:36 AM ]
Why do people have to create these long winded threads repeating the same things. Be mature enough to accept that some posters will never agree . . . in fact, never get it. Sometimes, it's because they just HAVE to be right. Sometimes, it just a case of being mentally challenged. Move on. Next time you know what you're dealing with.

For WIW, sources who I think are more reputable (the names are out there), believe that right behind the top four "1st round talent", there is a tight group of Kapearnick, Ponder, Dalton and Stanzi. Mayock, who Billick reckons is one of the best talent evaluators he's been around, grades tham as second round talents. That includes Stanzi.

For the life of me, I don't understand how a QB who can't hit a barn door at 20 feet (Locker) can be rated over them (I understand athleticism . . . still?). Or a physical specimen with a bloated head, only 14 games under his belt, and no real demonstrable accuracy. But there it is.
Share 49ersWebzone