LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 408 users in the forums

combine thread (watch live)

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Adam Schefter AdamSchefter

USC OT Tyron Smith, who weighed 285 at college, weighed in today at 307. Added weight, added value.

He's emerging as the top OT in this draft, if he puts together a solid workout. The biggest concern was his weight, and he erased that issue today by adding 20 pounds.

I have him as a top 15 draftee right now.

First tackle drafted?
Gailey wasn't convincing in his lack of interest in Cam Newton.
Why isnt it on NFL Network?
Originally posted by TheGoldenState:

Just coaches interviews; they usually don't carry that stuff live.

i posted a link when it starts it will be there
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Just coaches interviews; they usually don't carry that stuff live.

oh so thats all their doing today, I thought they did that yesterday.

I just looked on NFL Network theres something called Press Conf. coming on at 11:30, under info it says Coverage of live press conference from the NFL scouting combine.

Theyre showing Jim Harbaugh's interview on ESPN right now
[ Edited by TheGoldenState on Feb 24, 2011 at 9:52 AM ]
Combine weight-in notes from day one

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Combine-weightin-notes-from-day-one.html

USC OT Tyron Smith, who weighed 285 at college, weighed in today at 307. Added weight, added value.

He's emerging as the top OT in this draft, if he puts together a solid workout. The biggest concern was his weight, and he erased that issue today by adding 20 pounds.

First tackle drafted?

37" arms?
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

First tackle drafted?

37" arms?

hes buff as hell hes like all muscle dude

First tackle drafted?

37" arms?

Holy poop on a stick!

Originally posted by oldman9er:

Marcus Cannon 6-6 358 with 34" arms, listed at OT

Any chance we look at him for RG? He's about an inch taller than Iupati & 20lbs heavier.

First tackle drafted?

Should be. I have him at 13th overall in my Big 150 Board. There is no dominant OT in this draft class, and Smith may be the most athletic and have the best upside of the group...plus 37 inch arms. Stunning length.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Feb 24, 2011 at 10:33 AM ]
Originally posted by Overkill:
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Marcus Cannon 6-6 358 with 34" arms, listed at OT

Any chance we look at him for RG? He's about an inch taller than Iupati & 20lbs heavier.

I think 358 is still a disappointing number. He supposedly played at 375 last year, and I'm sure coaches would love to see him nearer to 330 than 360.

Probably headed inside at the next level, but if he can continue to lose weight may get a long look at tackle. He still has time before his campus workout to drop more lbs.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

First tackle drafted?

37" arms?

Can't coach that.

Originally posted by Wodwo:

First tackle drafted?

37" arms?

Can't coach that.

This blog post has excerpts from a National Football Post article from a couple years ago. Off the charts.

The reach or arm length of an NFL prospect is a key attribute to any position, especially those on the line of scrimmage. However, no position is more crucial when it comes to reach than offensive tackle. To put into perspective how offensive linemen are either helped or hindered by reach, I want to look at two former prospects with similar height/weight numbers whose paths in the NFL have been markedly different.

Offensive tackles Adam Terry of the Baltimore Ravens and Marcus McNeill from the San Diego Chargers are former second-round picks (Terry in 2005, McNeill in 2006) who weighed in during their combine appearances at around 330 pounds. However, the key difference during each player’s weigh-in was the discrepancy in reach. Even at an inch shorter than Terry (6-foot-:cool:, McNeill had the longer reach: 35½ inches; compared to 32¼. So we have two men who are roughly the same size, but McNeill has the length to match and maximize his 6-7 frame. Terry’s length forces him to play like a tackle closer to 6-3.

There are other variables that go into an equation like this, but the fact is, McNeill has been the Chargers’ starting left tackle each of the past three years, while Terry has bounced back and fourth between starter and back up the past four years and looks to be limited to the right tackle position. Again, there are other variables to be considered, but you have to figure the 3-plus-inch reach advantage McNeill has over Terry must be a significant factor why one player has been successful and the other has not.

To put this into perspective, I broke down this year’s top left tackle prospects in order to give you a better idea what linemen have NFL-worthy arm length and what prospects will struggle playing to their listed size. But first, I constructed a range of arm lengths for the OT position in order to put each measurement into context.

“Great” arm length (35-plus inches)
D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Jets: 35½ inches (2006)
Ryan Clady, Broncos: 36 inches (200:cool:

“Good” arm length (34-34 7/8 inches)
Jammal Brown, Saints: 34¼ inches (2005)
Jeff Otah, Panthers: 34 5/8 inches (200:cool:

“Average” arm length (33-33 7/8 inches)
Michael Roos, Titans: 33 5/8 inches (2005)
Levi Brown, Cardinals: 33 1/8 inches (2007)

“Below average” arm length (32-32 7/8 inches)
Robert Gallery, Raiders: 32¼ inches (2004)
Chris Williams, Bears: 32¾ inches (200:cool:
Share 49ersWebzone