LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

combine thread (watch live)

Originally posted by jreff22:
McShay13 Todd McShay
DT Nick Fairley 2 inches shorter (6'3") and about 9 pounds lighter (291). Marcell Dareus same height and nearly 30 lbs bigger

I wonder if Fairley could play 3-4 end now?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
McShay13 Todd McShay
DT Nick Fairley 2 inches shorter (6'3") and about 9 pounds lighter (291). Marcell Dareus same height and nearly 30 lbs bigger

I wonder how far Fairley will fall now??
Originally posted by Kolohe:
McShay13 Todd McShay

He won't pass the bills for sure
Clemson defensive end Da'Quan Bowers will not win himself fans among scouts with his decision to not work out at the Combine despite the fact that he characterized himself as "100%" and "willing to compete with anyone, any where" in his Q/A session with the media.

Bowers underwent surgery to repair a torn meniscsus in his right knee following the season and explained that he "wanted as much time to prepare for [the workouts] as others."

The reality is that despite leading the country with 15.5 sacks, scouts have questions about Bowers' burst.

Bowers benefitted from an aggressive Clemson defensive scheme which often utilized twists and stunts, freeing him up to rack up sacks while his defensive tackles absorbed blockers. Bowers, himself, acknowledged the play of his teammates who "did all of the dirty work."

By not working out here, Bowers risks losing some of the buzz his monster junior season had created. North Carolina's Robert Quinn and Missouri's Aldon Smith, in particular, are expected to work out exceptionally well and have each demonstrated a greater first step as pass rusher than Bowers.

Bowers' Pro Day is March 10.
Clemson defensive end Da'Quan Bowers will not win himself fans among scouts with his decision to not work out at the Combine despite the fact that he characterized himself as "100%" and "willing to compete with anyone, any where" in his Q/A session with the media.

Bowers underwent surgery to repair a torn meniscsus in his right knee following the season and explained that he "wanted as much time to prepare for [the workouts] as others."

The reality is that despite leading the country with 15.5 sacks, scouts have questions about Bowers' burst.

Bowers benefitted from an aggressive Clemson defensive scheme which often utilized twists and stunts, freeing him up to rack up sacks while his defensive tackles absorbed blockers. Bowers, himself, acknowledged the play of his teammates who "did all of the dirty work."

By not working out here, Bowers risks losing some of the buzz his monster junior season had created. North Carolina's Robert Quinn and Missouri's Aldon Smith, in particular, are expected to work out exceptionally well and have each demonstrated a greater first step as pass rusher than Bowers.

Bowers' Pro Day is March 10.

Bowers sounds like he'd be a great fit with the Vikings to me
But theres no way he falls that low
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
McShay13 Todd McShay

Have never doubted he could play 3-4 end, but his skill set would be best served playing on a 4 man front.

He doesn't fall beyond 6 IMO, and likely stays in the top 4 picks. Suh was 6"3 7/8th's so it's not like he is "undersized" in terms of height. He is still a viable option for Carolina.
NFLDraftDodger DraftDodger
#Cal DE Cameron Jordan at 287, should be a top 5 pick as a 4-3 power end or a 5 technique #Combine #NFLDRAFT

whoa top 5
Let's Play Good Day-Bad Day:

Good Day:
1) Von Miller is up to 246 pounds, and is beginning to eliminate all doubts about his size at the next level as a 3-4 OLB.

2) Marcel Dareus at 6'3", 319 is making himself versatile enough to play all three line positions in the 3-4 defense, as well as both interior DT positions in the 4-3.

3) Nate Solder running at nearly 5.00, at 6'8", and broad jumping 9'2", showed outstanding athleticism, better than expected.

4) The same goes for Gabe Carimi, who was considered the least athletic of the top OT's in this draft. However, Carimi was a top performer in the vertical and broad jumps, showing explosiveness.

5) Virgil Green is becoming a combine superstar with a ridiculous 42.5" vertical and 10'10" broad. Crazy numbers for a TE. He still is stiff when not running in a straight line, and will probably be drafted too early based on his athleticism, but the man mad some money.

6) Likewise, little known TE Rob Houser of Florida Atlantic ran the fastest 40 at 4.55, and looked terrific in drills. He is a very athletic TE and will give scouts a rush to grab some more tape to look at his on the field play.

7) Cal RB Shane Vareen posted 31 reps at 225, which is an amazing number for 205 pound back. Shows some upper body strength.

8) Rodney Hudson appeared to be the most fluid interior lineman in drills, outside of Jason Kelce, who is listed at 280. Against the rest, to me it didn't look close. At 299 pounds, practicing at center and guard, he is someone a LOT of second round teams need to take a serious peak at.

9) Syracuse C Ryan Bartholomew continues a nice combine with a sub 5.00 forty and looking solid in positional drills. He is clearly the most athletic of the centers at the combine, even though he grades much lower than many others at the position.

Bad Day:
1) Cam Newton- He has a great personality, but is not eliminating the perception that he is a guy surrounded by too many voices and distractions. I can't see him sliding past Daniel Snyder at 10, but there are so many off the field questions that I find him unlikely to go at 1 or 3, as many suspect.

2) Ryan Mallett carries more flags than communists at a Mao Zedong rally. I still think a team is crazy enough to burn a mid-late 2nd rounder on the kid, but I'd be surprised if he is even on half of the NFL boards by the time of the draft. The kid obviously has a past with drug usage, and the only way to bury that story is to be forthcoming with the media and teams.

3) John Moffitt- Terrific college football player who needs to dispel fears that he lacks athleticism at the next level. Running a 5.52 forty does not help. He did recover with much better 20 yard and 60 yard shuttle times, but the forty time????Yikes!!!

4) Utah C Zane Taylor is a player that many analysts like, and think is flying under the radar, but coming in last in nearly every measurable for centers at the combine makes it appear he is only a phone booth center.

5) Casey Matthews measured in at 6'1", 231 pounds, with smallish hands at 8 1/2 inches. These numbers are going to bother scouts and player personnel directors.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Feb 26, 2011 at 6:40 PM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Let's Play Good Day-Bad Day:

Good Day:
1) Von Miller is up to 246 pounds, and is beginning to eliminate all doubts about his size at the next level as a 3-4 OLB.

2) Marcel Dareus at 6'3", 319 is making himself versatile enough to play all three line positions in the 3-4 defense, as well as both interior DT positions in the 4-3.

3) Nate Solder running at nearly 5.00, at 6'8", and broad jumping 9'2", showed outstanding athleticism, better than expected.

4) The same goes for Gabe Carimi, who was considered the least athletic of the top OT's in this draft. However, Carimi was a top performer in the vertical and broad jumps, showing explosiveness.

5) Virgil Green is becoming a combine superstar with a ridiculous 42.5" vertical and 10'10" broad. Crazy numbers for a TE. He still is stiff when not running in a straight line, and will probably be drafted too early based on his athleticism, but the man mad some money.

6) Likewise, little known TE Rob Houser of Florida Atlantic ran the fastest 40 at 4.55, and looked terrific in drills. He is a very athletic TE and will give scouts a rush to grab some more tape to look at his on the field play.

7) Cal RB Shane Vareen posted 31 reps at 225, which is an amazing number for 205 pound back. Shows some upper body strength.

8) Rodney Hudson appeared to be the most fluid interior lineman in drills, outside of Jason Kelce, who is listed at 280. Against the rest, to me it didn't look close. At 299 pounds, practicing at center and guard, he is someone a LOT of second round teams need to take a serious peak at.

9) Syracuse C Ryan Bartholomew continues a nice combine with a sub 5.00 forty and looking solid in positional drills. He is clearly the most athletic of the centers at the combine, even though he grades much lower than many others at the position.

Bad Day:
1) Cam Newton- He has a great personality, but is not eliminating the perception that he is a guy surrounded by too many voices and distractions. I can't see him sliding past Daniel Snyder at 10, but there are so many off the field questions that I find him unlikely to go at 1 or 3, as many suspect.

2) Ryan Mallett carries more flags than communists at a Mao Zedong rally. I still think a team is crazy enough to burn a mid-late 2nd rounder on the kid, but I'd be surprised if he is even on half of the NFL boards by the time of the draft. The kid obviously has a past with drug usage, and the only way to bury that story is to be forthcoming with the media and teams.

3) John Moffitt- Terrific college football player who needs to dispel fears that he lacks athleticism at the next level. Running a 5.52 forty does not help. He did recover with much better 20 yard and 60 yard shuttle times, but the forty time????Yikes!!!

4) Utah C Zane Taylor is a player that many analysts like, and think is flying under the radar, but coming in last in nearly every measurable for centers at the combine makes it appear he is only a phone booth center.

5) Casey Matthews measured in at 6'1", 231 pounds, with smallish hands at 8 1/2 inches. These numbers are going to bother scouts and player personnel directors.

Thanks for the summary
I suggest anyone who isn't familiar with the drills or even if you are to check out Mike Mayock explaining what his favorite drills for each position is. Also, explains what the purpose of each is. Really really good info....

http://www.nfl.com/combine/workouts

Pull down either the Workout Drills or Position Drills and select one... I would watch the position drills for sure... good stuff.

I went to Scott Wright's website and saw where he reported the hand size of the QB prospects. Some are concerned about such things. As a basis of comparison, we can compare them to our "Small Hands" Smith, who, according to Chronicle writer C. W. Nevius, once reported Alex's at 9 3/8 ".

Kaepernick 9 1/8
Dalton 9 1/2
Locker 9 5/8
Newton 9 7/8
Stanzi 10
Ponder 10 1/4
Mallet 10 1/2
Originally posted by excelsior:
I went to Scott Wright's website and saw where he reported the hand size of the QB prospects. Some are concerned about such things. As a basis of comparison, we can compare them to our "Small Hands" Smith, who, according to Chronicle writer C. W. Nevius, once reported Alex's at 9 3/8 ".

Kaepernick 9 1/8
Dalton 9 1/2
Locker 9 5/8
Newton 9 7/8
Stanzi 10
Ponder 10 1/4
Mallet 10 1/2

Damn!! And was really hoping we'd draft Kaepernick.... I guess he won't be any good after all....
Originally posted by excelsior:

Kaepernick 9 1/8
Dalton 9 1/2
Locker 9 5/8
Newton 9 7/8
Stanzi 10
Ponder 10 1/4
Mallet 10 1/2

How big are Rodgers hands?
no gabbert?
Sorry, I missed Gabbert. He's a 10.
Share 49ersWebzone