Not a huge fan of black qb's.

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:

• mayo49
  • Veteran

Damn, NoKaOi tells us how you really feel.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
I am a big Oregon fan.

I am a big Dennis Dixon fan.

I do not want the Niners to sign him, he is too injury prone.

Yeah, Ghost. I don't like Dixon either. Just start Alex for a year or two and draft a Qb to groom.

They might to do that, but it's a low risk move for a high-upside QB. IMO, we won't get anyone in the 5th round with Dixon's potential, so it's a smart way to manuever your draft board, filling other critical needs on your roster as opposed to spending a relatively high pick on a QB that will likely sit for a year+.

I agree with the reasoning and needs and like the direction you took with it but I just saw him come up injured too often. Not sure he has the size or durability to do it.

IMO, if he didn't have the injury issues, he would be more expensive (2nd round tender, likely). So it's a low-risk move with a potential high upside...worse case, you wipe the slate clean next year and make a move for either a veteran QB starter or a high pick. But you spent 2011 addressing most of your other major needs (pass rush, CB, backup RB, d-line, etc.), so you can dedicate the majority of your resources on a top-light QB if the Smith/Dixon experiment goes bad.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame

Great mock draft Ghost. I really hope PP drops to us but I'm fine with VM.
[ Edited by Amir_Mamu on Feb 21, 2011 at 4:07 PM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:

Damn, NoKaOi tells us how you really feel.

Not hating on blacks or anything just my opinion. Black QB's are more athletic QB's, I would rather have a Manning/Brady pocket passer even if they are slow as hell.

I guess you didn't get the PC memo..
Again, the point here is, I think Harbaugh is going to convince Smith to return. Knowing Alex will be the default starter heading into camp, the team needs to find a young veteran who:

~can challenge Alex for playing time NOW (unlike a rookie 1st/2nd/3rd rounder)
~has WCO QB qualities
~still has the potential to be the answer long-term (unlike McNabb, Kitna, Bulger, etc.)
~doesn't come at too high of a price (ala Kolb, a Carson Palmer or even Kyle Orton)

IMO, Dixon meets that criteria, but I'm sure they'll look at all others.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 21, 2011 at 4:19 PM ]
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Again, the point here is, I think Harbaugh is going to convince Smith to return. Knowing Alex will be the default starter heading into camp, the team needs to find a young veteran who:

~has WCO QB qualities
~still has the potential to be the answer long-term (unlike McNabb, Kitna, Bulger, etc.)
~doesn't come at too high of a price (ala Kolb, a Carson Palmer or even Kyle Orton)

Well said. With the CBA issues, we'd be stupid not to keep Alex Smith, unless of course it gets resolved sooner than later. Just makes sense. Not a AS fan at all but I wanna see what Harbaugh can do with him.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Amir_Mamu:

~has WCO QB qualities

Well said. With the CBA issues, we'd be stupid not to keep Alex Smith, unless of course it gets resolved sooner than later. Just makes sense. Not a AS fan at all but I wanna see what Harbaugh can do with him.

Alex must love misery, to come back and have to hear the boo birds all season long. I think he's a goner.

Any other QBs with some potential in them that we can pick up cheap and at least bring to camp?
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Any other QBs with some potential in them that we can pick up cheap and at least bring to camp?

Usually not a lot of those just laying around.
  • EdEs
  • Veteran

Please ban this moron, if you meant to say athletic quarterbacks then say athletic quarterbacks, which includes Tebow, Locker. But to say black what the hell is your problem?
teeohh/DW - I think Smith will beat out Dixon, which is probably fine. It will allow Dixon to learn the offense a little longer before getting playing time...by the end of the season though, I could see D2 taking over. BTW, I think Dixon could be a special WCO-type QB, especially with JH coaching him up.

The biggest deal out of this draft though will easily be Miller. He can be our Clay Matthews with Fangio moving him around and being creative with blitzes. A guy like that changes the dynamics of a defense.

Standard 3-4 defensive front seven:
RayMac - Soap - JSmith
Haralson/Miller - Spikes - Willis - Brooks/Gibson

4-3 defensive front seven on passing downs:
Haralson - RayMac - JSmith - Brooks
Bowman - Willis - Bowman

4-3 defensive fronts on rushing downs:
RayMac - Soap - Cofield - JSmith
Miller - Spikes - Willis

I am assuming you made a typo and wanted Miller in the 4-3 passing downs lineup. Which Bowman spot do you see him in?
Good mock! I like Dixon and wouldn't mind seeing what Harbaugh can do with him. You address just about evey area. I have a feeling that Harbaugh has a QB or two in mind that could be brought in but that could be wishful thinking. I would also rather have Quinn than Miller.

You have Bowman down on both sides of Willis in your defense. Doubt he can do double duty but I do like him.

"4-3 defensive front seven on passing downs:
Haralson - RayMac - JSmith - Brooks
Bowman - Willis - Bowman?"

Edit: A bit too slow on the keyboard! Someone beat me to it!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 21, 2011 at 5:46 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone