There are 230 users in the forums

Pre-combine mock **Alex Smith alert**

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
^^

1.) If Harbaugh wants to spend a 3rd rounder on JJ, who am I to complain?
2.) There was no way DD was going to beat out Big Ben. That was never going to happen.
3.) If Dixon is tendered, it will likely be with the lowest tender (cost considerations), making him available in exchange for the round he was picked in (5th)
4.) I don't know if DD can be THEE guy either, but I can assume that he'd be far more prepared to come and start much quicker than any rookie QB. Now, if we sign Alex again and sign Dixon as an RFA, that doesn't preclude us from drafting a QB either. So there is a scenario where we hedge our bets and go:

- Re-sign Alex
- Acquire young vet (Dixon, Johnson, Stanton, etc.)
- AND draft a rookie (Ponder, Kaepernick, Dalton)

That's a possible scenario as well, though my sense is, we'll use those high picks to address other roles if we have Alex and a young vet in the fold already.

I think it will be interesting to see what Baalke and Harbaugh will do when the CBA is signed, assuming that it gets done. I am assuming that they will run their reasonng process similarly to what you have done as well. I am predicting that they will attempt to sign Smith just as an insurance policy, get a trade in place for someone who can help, and draft a QB or two to work with while working with the vets. So if they pick up Dixon, Flynn, Palmer, Kolb, it is irrelevant to me since I dont' have to sign the checks. I would like them to get the best person available without breaking the draft, but they have to do what needs to be done. We will know shortly what their plans are at the draft and if the CBA is signed hopefully there will be some FA movement before the draft.
Originally posted by dwett:
Ghost great post as usual but can you have Arizona taking someone else. The idea of Peterson being a Cardinal make me sick. I have no issue with resigning Smith, but him throwing a high pass with Peterson on the other side scares me.

lol.....no kidding. There's always a chance the Cards go after a pass rusher (Miller or Quinn), or maybe even Cam if he blows up the combine. Just not convinced we're going to get that lucky and have Peterson fall into our laps.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Ghost great post as usual but can you have Arizona taking someone else. The idea of Peterson being a Cardinal make me sick. I have no issue with resigning Smith, but him throwing a high pass with Peterson on the other side scares me.

lol.....no kidding. There's always a chance the Cards go after a pass rusher (Miller or Quinn), or maybe even Cam if he blows up the combine. Just not convinced we're going to get that lucky and have Peterson fall into our laps.

How do you feel about trading up in this draft from the 7th pick? I've very mixed feelings about it. Yes, there will be pretty good player available at 7, but do you see a player or two, who are worth a trade up?
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

How do you feel about trading up in this draft from the 7th pick? I've very mixed feelings about it. Yes, there will be pretty good player available at 7, but do you see a player or two, who are worth a trade up?

I would seriously consider moving up to get Peterson (maybe trading spots with Cincy), if the CBA was worked out by then and we were able to secure a veteran QB and pass rusher.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

I would seriously consider moving up to get Peterson (maybe trading spots with Cincy), if the CBA was worked out by then and we were able to secure a veteran QB and pass rusher.

This is why I brought it up. To me, Peterson is the best player in the draft - but because he plays CB, he could be there at 4-5. The next best player to me is Cam Newton. Those are two players I would trade up for...I haven't read your opinion on Cam Newton - what do you think of him and do you agree or disagree that he is worth a trade up?
Originally posted by 49ersNoKaOi:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Wow. I knew there would be a few things said about my comment about black qb's but I had no idea it would be this bad.

I am sorry if you took it as hatred racism. I may be ignorant, stupid, short, brown, dumb, and moke but I am not a racist. I have many white, yellow, black, and brown friends I have no care for the color of their skin.

I am not sorry for what I said. It is my right to have an opinion, I'm not a huge fan of black QB's. Not saying I hate black QB's, not saying black QB's cant be good, just not a big fan of them.

We get you NoKaOi, just next time say your a fan of running Qb's.

I love qb's that can run! but i understand, the zone is not like Hawai'i, here we can make jokes or say things like that without people getting offended because the society is so ethnically varied. Will be more cautious next time knowing how sensitive a lot of these punanis are.

lol just say popolo next time and no one will know what you're talking about
[ Edited by footballxpaul on Feb 24, 2011 at 12:11 AM ]
oh and Im not a huge fan of miller, i dont understand his hype so much. Ive seen too much game footage (not highlights) where he runs himself out of the play majority of the time

This is why I brought it up. To me, Peterson is the best player in the draft - but because he plays CB, he could be there at 4-5. The next best player to me is Cam Newton. Those are two players I would trade up for...I haven't read your opinion on Cam Newton - what do you think of him and do you agree or disagree that he is worth a trade up?

I think with the right coaching and plenty of patience, he could develop into a great QB. IMO, if Cam has at least two full seasons to digest a playbook, learn how to think and prepare like an NFL QB and have the right players/system around him, there's no doubt in my mind he could be every bit the QB that Big Ben is (if not better over time).

But if he's rushed into playing and doesn't have the right supporting cast around him (coaching, teammates and proper offensive system to fit his skills), he could easily turn into a bust.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

I think with the right coaching and plenty of patience, he could develop into a great QB. IMO, if Cam has at least two full seasons to digest a playbook, learn how to think and prepare like an NFL QB and have the right players/system around him, there's no doubt in my mind he could be every bit the QB that Big Ben is (if not better over time).

But if he's rushed into playing and doesn't have the right supporting cast around him (coaching, teammates and proper offensive system to fit his skills), he could easily turn into a bust.

- I do think though that Cam can play a pretty good role as a wild-cat QB till he learns the whole system, so he won't be completely useless.

Another question...this one regarding trading down. If we were to trade down to Minnesota's position or Miami's - who do you think the Niners will target there. Also, will you be releasing your player ratings?

- I do think though that Cam can play a pretty good role as a wild-cat QB till he learns the whole system, so he won't be completely useless.

Another question...this one regarding trading down. If we were to trade down to Minnesota's position or Miami's - who do you think the Niners will target there. Also, will you be releasing your player ratings?

If they trade down anywhere between 12-15, I can see the Niners targeting a pass rusher (probably Aldon Smith, with Justin Houston being a long-shot possibility), or CBs like Prince or Jimmy Smith depending on who's still available. If Harbaugh really likes Jake Locker, he could take him there and use some of the extra picks to fill the other needs, but most people (including me) would think that's way too high for Jake.

I'll probably put the player ratings together by mid-March. I'm thinking we need to do another weekend divisional mock too.

• 4ML
  • Veteran

If they trade down anywhere between 12-15, I can see the Niners targeting a pass rusher (probably Aldon Smith, with Justin Houston being a long-shot possibility), or CBs like Prince or Jimmy Smith depending on who's still available. If Harbaugh really likes Jake Locker, he could take him there and use some of the extra picks to fill the other needs, but most people (including me) would think that's way too high for Jake.

I'll probably put the player ratings together by mid-March. I'm thinking we need to do another weekend divisional mock too.

I like Aldon Smith. I'm not a fan of Locker, but I'll be fine with pretty much any QB Harbaugh drafts. Yea...we def. gotta do the divisional mock. I was thinkin' of settin' one up after the combine.
Originally posted by footballxpaul:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Wow. I knew there would be a few things said about my comment about black qb's but I had no idea it would be this bad.

I am sorry if you took it as hatred racism. I may be ignorant, stupid, short, brown, dumb, and moke but I am not a racist. I have many white, yellow, black, and brown friends I have no care for the color of their skin.

I am not sorry for what I said. It is my right to have an opinion, I'm not a huge fan of black QB's. Not saying I hate black QB's, not saying black QB's cant be good, just not a big fan of them.

We get you NoKaOi, just next time say your a fan of running Qb's.

I love qb's that can run! but i understand, the zone is not like Hawai'i, here we can make jokes or say things like that without people getting offended because the society is so ethnically varied. Will be more cautious next time knowing how sensitive a lot of these punanis are.

lol just say popolo next time and no one will know what you're talking about

good thinking!
The Alex Smith thing would not suprise me. I am still not convinced that he wants to stick around though! Assuming he does stay, I highly doubt the biggest challenge they bring in Dennis Dixon...? If Smith sticks around, I could see them going QB in round 1 or 2. I do not know why they would keep Carr, unless the CBA drags on until August, Sept.
  • dwett
  • Veteran

I agree but I thought the same thing about Crabtree so you never know. Although the Raiders are not picking ahead of us this time so that hurts our chances
Share 49ersWebzone