LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 229 users in the forums

49ers top 7 big board

Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Wes Bunting's (National Football Post) top 3-4 DEs

1) Cameron Jordan: Cal (6-4, 287)
2) Marcell Dareus: Alabama (6-3, 309)
3) Cameron Heyward: Ohio State (6-5, 288)
4) J.J. Watt: Wisconsin (6-6, 292)
5) Adrian Clayborn: Iowa (6-3, 287)
6) Christian Ballard: Iowa (6-4, 297)
7) Muhammad Wilkerson: Temple (6-5, 305)
8) Lawrence Guy: Arizona State (6-5, 300)

Bowers is nowhere on the list. Unless he's just after Lawrence Guy.

Walterfootball's 3-4 DE ranking (less credible source but still worthwhile)

1) Fairly
2) Dareus
3) Jordan
4) Watt
5) Cam Hayward
6) Liuget
7) Wilkerson
8) Ballard
9) Baily
10) Jenkins
11) Guy
12) Thornton
13) Blanc
14) Bair

Ok, I'm going to stop, we're talking about 6th rounders now. Clearly they don't see Bowers as a 3-4 end either. Not saying my opinion is based purely on this, but since you're bringing up draft sites, thought I'd do the same.

Also, I'm shocked Wes doesn't have Bowers in there. Especially considering 3 of his top 5 guys are very similar in height and weight to Bowers. Not to mention Bowers has better stats vs the run than those guys. Perhaps it was an oversight by Wes. I'll tweet him and see if he responds.

So far Wes and i have seen eye to eye on A LOT of this draft class so i do value his opinion.
At first I woud of said no to Bowers as a 3-4 End, but lets look at Justin Smith, looks like a 4-3 DE but lays the 3-4 end pretty darn good.

So i wouldnt be surprised if Bowers would or could be a 3-4 end, but of course, he is a likely top 3 pick.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
At first I woud of said no to Bowers as a 3-4 End, but lets look at Justin Smith, looks like a 4-3 DE but lays the 3-4 end pretty darn good.

So i wouldnt be surprised if Bowers would or could be a 3-4 end, but of course, he is a likely top 3 pick.

justin smith is a rare case imo we shouldnt draft a rookie based on justin smiths situation (unless he is ridiculously strong)

if were going 3-4 end i want daerus
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

justin smith is a rare case imo we shouldnt draft a rookie based on justin smiths situation (unless he is ridiculously strong)

if were going 3-4 end i want daerus

i see your point. But Bowers is a freakish athlete, but im with you, I would draft Dareus over him for our scheme in a heartbeat.
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:

1) Fairly
2) Dareus
3) Jordan
4) Watt
5) Cam Hayward
6) Liuget
7) Wilkerson
8) Ballard
9) Baily
10) Jenkins
11) Guy
12) Thornton
13) Blanc
14) Bair

Ok, I'm going to stop, we're talking about 6th rounders now. Clearly they don't see Bowers as a 3-4 end either. Not saying my opinion is based purely on this, but since you're bringing up draft sites, thought I'd do the same.

Also, I'm shocked Wes doesn't have Bowers in there. Especially considering 3 of his top 5 guys are very similar in height and weight to Bowers. Not to mention Bowers has better stats vs the run than those guys. Perhaps it was an oversight by Wes. I'll tweet him and see if he responds.

So far Wes and i have seen eye to eye on A LOT of this draft class so i do value his opinion.

I agree about Wes, that's why I was surprised that you referred to Rob Rang (who is pretty credible in his own right) as a "more credible source"...but perhaps you were comparing him to the guys at Walterfootball (who at best provide entertaining opinions that barely border on informative). If you follow Wes, you may notice that he isn't that high on Bowers. As for Bowers's additional 20 lbs last year, it was all fat. Anyone can put on 20 lbs of fat--the issue is having a frame that can hold an additional 20 lbs of muscle. I don't see Bowrs having that body type. He is a player we may have to agree to disagree on. I see him as an overrated version of a Peppers like player, who is a pure 4-3 end. Chances are he goes to a 4-3 team anyways based on who drafts early, and we'll never really settle this debate. I would be interested in Bunting's reply to your question however.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Originally posted by TalkinBoutWILLIS:
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
1. Patrick Peterson - need meets value meets production meets upside meets SEC

2. Robert Quinn - the "red flags" are preposterous...this guy is as violent of a pass rusher as you will see. He will be a 10+ sack guy for a decade

3. Von Miller - size worries me, and you can't avoid the fragility concerns. Still he'll be high on the list due to production, need, and Sr. Bowl performance

4. AJ Green - not a great need, but Green, Crabtree, Vernon...oh my! Sometimes you have to take the best player in the draft, and that might be AJ

5. Nick Fairly - questionable work ethic, one year wonder, and not a great schematic fit, but compares favorably from a talent standpoint to last year's rookie who dominated the league from day 1

6. Marcel Dareus - perfect fit in the scheme, and may trickle down to the OLB and CB production. Him and JS may give us the best 3/4 ends in the league for years (since JS doesn't seem to be slowing down one tad). Have been reading a number of things that question his upside however.

7. Prince Amukamara - stock is falling, but is still a quality prospect at a major position of need. Think Marcus Trufant like upside. Still a good addition, but won't be a game changer in a way Ed Reed, Palamalu or Woodson are.

So you think Prince projects more as a safety than a QB?

If that's the case, I wouldn't take him at #7. Don't get me wrong, I think he will be a fine CB in the NFL, and would be thrilled to get him at 7 if Peterson or a dominant pass rusher isn't available. But that's assuming the team believes he will be a CB.

If they are drafting him to be a S, then I'd put Jordan and Bowers ahead of him.

of course he is a better safety than QB haha but i think the relations to safety is speed concerns he has good speed but not elite

CB obviously is what I meant. Do you project him as a S or CB in our system/the NFL?

Because if we are drafting him a S, I think #7 is too high and he would drop much farther into the first round. Again, that being said, personally, I see him as a CB.

I think he'll definitely get a shake at CB, but eventually in his career will move to Safety because his speed/size will actually make him an elite safety, but his tight hips may keep him from becoming an elite CB. He'll be good as either. Also, a S is definitely worth a top pick. Eric Berry established that fact last year.

On a side note, there are several certainties in life...

1) death
2) taxes
3) if Peterson is on the board at 7, he won't be at 8

I agree with point 3 in general. But not if we are converting him to safety. That's kind of the point. VERY few CBs have successfully converted to elite safeties in their careers. Lott and Woodson are the exceptions.

Certainly, I agree that someone who can be an Ed Reed type is worth the #7 pick. But that's a rare gem. Finding that type of player, let alone converting one from another position, is very, very rare.

Usually safeties are not the dominant players on a D. They are essentially CBs who can't cover, but can hit. Not all of course, but that's more the "typical" S, than not.

So drafting someone to transition from CB to S at #7, seem like a high risk to me.

I'd take whatever pass rusher/3-4 end is available first in that case. Because a player who is at least good in that role, will be more valuable than a "good" safety.

Plus, we have a player on the roster who might still be a "good" safety. I'm not a huge believer in Mays, but he could be serviceable. Which might be all you get from Prince or any other converted CB. At least Mays has spent his entire career playing the position.
If Bowers weighs in around 275 it's possible he could play OLB. I mean he is a beast of a pass rusher and he is not going to get thrown around a lot. Yeah he might not cover so well but at the same time he's a heck of an athlete so who knows? I wouldn't exactly bet against the guy. He is really good IMO, and I would love to have him. Especially on 3rd downs

1) Fairly
2) Dareus
3) Jordan
4) Watt
5) Cam Hayward
6) Liuget
7) Wilkerson
8) Ballard
9) Baily
10) Jenkins
11) Guy
12) Thornton
13) Blanc
14) Bair

I agree about Wes, that's why I was surprised that you referred to Rob Rang (who is pretty credible in his own right) as a "more credible source"...but perhaps you were comparing him to the guys at Walterfootball (who at best provide entertaining opinions that barely border on informative). If you follow Wes, you may notice that he isn't that high on Bowers. As for Bowers's additional 20 lbs last year, it was all fat. Anyone can put on 20 lbs of fat--the issue is having a frame that can hold an additional 20 lbs of muscle. I don't see Bowrs having that body type. He is a player we may have to agree to disagree on. I see him as an overrated version of a Peppers like player, who is a pure 4-3 end. Chances are he goes to a 4-3 team anyways based on who drafts early, and we'll never really settle this debate. I would be interested in Bunting's reply to your question however.

The question is, if Bowers is available at 7 (which I doubt), do you pick him if you clearly consider him the best player available? If he can't bulk up to play 3-4 DE and you don't see him as a candidate for rush OLB, maybe that's when you trade back. If he IS there, there will probably be plenty of suitors ready to trade up to get him. Move back a couple of spots and we still might get Quinn, Miller, Amukamara or simply not reach for a QB.
[ Edited by gravelburn on Feb 21, 2011 at 12:54 AM ]
Originally posted by gravelburn:

1) Fairly
2) Dareus
3) Jordan
4) Watt
5) Cam Hayward
6) Liuget
7) Wilkerson
8) Ballard
9) Baily
10) Jenkins
11) Guy
12) Thornton
13) Blanc
14) Bair

The question is, if Bowers is available at 7 (which I doubt), do you pick him if you clearly consider him the best player available? If he can't bulk up to play 3-4 DE and you don't see him as a candidate for rush OLB, maybe that's when you trade back. If he IS there, there will probably be plenty of suitors ready to trade up to get him. Move back a couple of spots and we still might get Quinn, Miller, Amukamara or simply not reach for a QB.

I have a hard time seeing why Bowers is a better prospect than Quinn. If both are there, pick Quinn!

1) Fairly
2) Dareus
3) Jordan
4) Watt
5) Cam Hayward
6) Liuget
7) Wilkerson
8) Ballard
9) Baily
10) Jenkins
11) Guy
12) Thornton
13) Blanc
14) Bair

I have a hard time seeing why Bowers is a better prospect than Quinn. If both are there, pick Quinn!

I don't think he is either, but Quinn has slipped bacause of his "issues". I don't expect that with the seventh pick we'll have the luxury of choosing between these two anyway. One or both of them will most likely be long gone.

1) Fairly
2) Dareus
3) Jordan
4) Watt
5) Cam Hayward
6) Liuget
7) Wilkerson
8) Ballard
9) Baily
10) Jenkins
11) Guy
12) Thornton
13) Blanc
14) Bair

I agree. I love Bowers, but Quinn to me is the next Demarcus Ware. He's just so big, so strong, so violent, and has a truly great burst. In my last mock i had us taking Quinn, but i'm afraid after the combine he could go as high as #2.

1) Fairly
2) Dareus
3) Jordan
4) Watt
5) Cam Hayward
6) Liuget
7) Wilkerson
8) Ballard
9) Baily
10) Jenkins
11) Guy
12) Thornton
13) Blanc
14) Bair

I agree. I love Bowers, but Quinn to me is the next Demarcus Ware. He's just so big, so strong, so violent, and has a truly great burst. In my last mock i had us taking Quinn, but i'm afraid after the combine he could go as high as #2.

He's the guy I'm hoping for too deep down. I'd love to see him wreak havoc in a Niner uniform for the next decade. Transition to OLB is still a question, but I'm pretty sure he'd dominate at the position.

1) Fairly
2) Dareus
3) Jordan
4) Watt
5) Cam Hayward
6) Liuget
7) Wilkerson
8) Ballard
9) Baily
10) Jenkins
11) Guy
12) Thornton
13) Blanc
14) Bair

He's the guy I'm hoping for too deep down. I'd love to see him wreak havoc in a Niner uniform for the next decade. Transition to OLB is still a question, but I'm pretty sure he'd dominate at the position.

The way Butch Davis ran things down there, Quinn was asked to do a decent amount of his pass rushing from a 2 point stance, so the transition should be minimal with a man like Quinns athleticism. In fact, i believe he's better suited to rush from the OLB position because one of his "knocks" is that while he has such great burst, he doesn't get off the ball as quickly as most hand in the dirt rushers. OLB don't need to be the greatest off the ball rushers like 43DE's. If you watch a lot of clay matthews and demarcus ware they rarely rush within the first half second of the ball being snapped. It's usually a delayed pass rush.

1) Fairly
2) Dareus
3) Jordan
4) Watt
5) Cam Hayward
6) Liuget
7) Wilkerson
8) Ballard
9) Baily
10) Jenkins
11) Guy
12) Thornton
13) Blanc
14) Bair

The way Butch Davis ran things down there, Quinn was asked to do a decent amount of his pass rushing from a 2 point stance, so the transition should be minimal with a man like Quinns athleticism. In fact, i believe he's better suited to rush from the OLB position because one of his "knocks" is that while he has such great burst, he doesn't get off the ball as quickly as most hand in the dirt rushers. OLB don't need to be the greatest off the ball rushers like 43DE's. If you watch a lot of clay matthews and demarcus ware they rarely rush within the first half second of the ball being snapped. It's usually a delayed pass rush.

Don't think he goes 2, but wouldn't shock me. I might see him as the best overall player in the draft
Originally posted by rayn36:
I like this list.

I think Cam is a wild card though. Pending a good combine, he could jump strait to the top.

This
Share 49ersWebzone