LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

49ers top 7 big board

1. Patrick Peterson - need meets value meets production meets upside meets SEC

2. Robert Quinn - the "red flags" are preposterous...this guy is as violent of a pass rusher as you will see. He will be a 10+ sack guy for a decade

3. Von Miller - size worries me, and you can't avoid the fragility concerns. Still he'll be high on the list due to production, need, and Sr. Bowl performance

4. AJ Green - not a great need, but Green, Crabtree, Vernon...oh my! Sometimes you have to take the best player in the draft, and that might be AJ

5. Nick Fairly - questionable work ethic, one year wonder, and not a great schematic fit, but compares favorably from a talent standpoint to last year's rookie who dominated the league from day 1

6. Marcel Dareus - perfect fit in the scheme, and may trickle down to the OLB and CB production. Him and JS may give us the best 3/4 ends in the league for years (since JS doesn't seem to be slowing down one tad). Have been reading a number of things that question his upside however.

7. Prince Amukamara - stock is falling, but is still a quality prospect at a major position of need. Think Marcus Trufant like upside. Still a good addition, but won't be a game changer in a way Ed Reed, Palamalu or Woodson are.
Nice job!
Bowers not on there?
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

2. Robert Quinn - the "red flags" are preposterous...this guy is as violent of a pass rusher as you will see. He will be a 10+ sack guy for a decade

3. Von Miller - size worries me, and you can't avoid the fragility concerns. Still he'll be high on the list due to production, need, and Sr. Bowl performance

4. AJ Green - not a great need, but Green, Crabtree, Vernon...oh my! Sometimes you have to take the best player in the draft, and that might be AJ

5. Nick Fairly - questionable work ethic, one year wonder, and not a great schematic fit, but compares favorably from a talent standpoint to last year's rookie who dominated the league from day 1

6. Marcel Dareus - perfect fit in the scheme, and may trickle down to the OLB and CB production. Him and JS may give us the best 3/4 ends in the league for years (since JS doesn't seem to be slowing down one tad). Have been reading a number of things that question his upside however.

7. Prince Amukamara - stock is falling, but is still a quality prospect at a major position of need. Think Marcus Trufant like upside. Still a good addition, but won't be a game changer in a way Ed Reed, Palamalu or Woodson are.

So you think Prince projects more as a safety than a QB?

If that's the case, I wouldn't take him at #7. Don't get me wrong, I think he will be a fine CB in the NFL, and would be thrilled to get him at 7 if Peterson or a dominant pass rusher isn't available. But that's assuming the team believes he will be a CB.

If they are drafting him to be a S, then I'd put Jordan and Bowers ahead of him.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'd actually put Nick Fairley on the top of the list, then Peterson and Dareus as 2a and 2b.

oops.
[ Edited by Kolohe on Feb 20, 2011 at 2:02 PM ]
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Bowers not on there?

no place for him in a 3-4. Complete waste at 3-4 end, and far too big for 3-4 OLB. He's one of those guys that may be completely off our board because he simply doesn't fit
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I'd actually put Nick Fairley on the top of the list, then Peterson and Dareus as 1a and 1b.

No way for Fairly. Several reasons:

a) he's truly a one-year wonder. Not the end of the world but still a concern
b) major questions regarding his work habits...which is a HUGE deal for d-lineman
c) he's a 4-3 player that COULD play in a 3-4, but isn't ideal for that scheme

as for Dareus, I've been reading a lot from Wes Bunting about how scouts are actually not as high on Dareus as the media. See him as a solid, not spectacular player with a low floor and an avg ceiling. Plus, the D-line has been our strength, which won't work in his favor with us.
Bowers not on there?

no place for him in a 3-4. Complete waste at 3-4 end, and far too big for 3-4 OLB. He's one of those guys that may be completely off our board because he simply doesn't fit

HAHAHAHAHA LOL.

Someone (YOU) clearly has never seen Da'Quan Bowers play. He'd be an ideal fit for a 34DE. He's the same size as Justin Smith. In fact, he may be able to play the run better than Justin Smith. Bowers is such a unique athlete that you most certainly can rush him from a 2 point stance. Yes, he probably is better suited to be a 43DE because that is where he'll be more statistically productive as far as sacks go. BUT he won't be known for his sacks, as much as he will be for his pressures, tackles for losses, and stopping the run. I suggest you go do some (any) research before making completely unfounded statements.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:

If that's the case, I wouldn't take him at #7. Don't get me wrong, I think he will be a fine CB in the NFL, and would be thrilled to get him at 7 if Peterson or a dominant pass rusher isn't available. But that's assuming the team believes he will be a CB.

If they are drafting him to be a S, then I'd put Jordan and Bowers ahead of him.

of course he is a better safety than QB haha but i think the relations to safety is speed concerns he has good speed but not elite
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'd actually put Nick Fairley on the top of the list, then Peterson and Dareus as 1a and 1b.

b) major questions regarding his work habits...which is a HUGE deal for d-lineman

as for Dareus, I've been reading a lot from Wes Bunting about how scouts are actually not as high on Dareus as the media. See him as a solid, not spectacular player with a low floor and an avg ceiling. Plus, the D-line has been our strength, which won't work in his favor with us.

You see Fairley as a one-hit wonder, I see him as a penetrating two-gap DT that can play inside or outside in a 3-4. Hes very fast off the snap and probably the hardest player to block in the draft. I'd be pretty disappointed if we passed on Fairley with the #7 pick. Dareus is also very similar to Fairley, only not as dominating on every snap like like Fairley. And as much as we've seen how good Raji was for Green Bay, Dareus and Fairley are both just as or more impressive than Raji. And if we're gonna run the 3-4 properly, it all starts with the D-line, I don't know any successful 3-4 out there with a sub par D-line.

This is just my opinion, I could careless what the scouts say about Fairley and Dareus. Sure I've been wrong about prospects and of course am not a real talent evaluator, but scouts have been wrong too. And I'm sure if both Fairley and Dareus were there at the #7 overall pick, scouts would probably agree that it wouldn't be wise to pass them up if they fell to #7.

Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
Bowers not on there?

HAHAHAHAHA LOL.

Someone (YOU) clearly has never seen Da'Quan Bowers play. He'd be an ideal fit for a 34DE. He's the same size as Justin Smith. In fact, he may be able to play the run better than Justin Smith. Bowers is such a unique athlete that you most certainly can rush him from a 2 point stance. Yes, he probably is better suited to be a 43DE because that is where he'll be more statistically productive as far as sacks go. BUT he won't be known for his sacks, as much as he will be for his pressures, tackles for losses, and stopping the run. I suggest you go do some (any) research before making completely unfounded statements.

And I suggest you do some reading of posts you respond to. I said he is a "waste" as a 3-4 end. Meaning that it is not a good use of his talents. He is clearly most valuable as a 4-3 end, and putting him in position to take on blockers is a very bad use of his skill set. A team can afford one 3-4 end the size of Smith, not 2. A 3-4 end is ideally 310 lbs. Smith is 285. Opposite of him the other end has to be at least 3 bills, otherwise we are once again squeezing a square peg in a round hole. Smith is also abnormally strong for his size. He's got the strength of a man who has 40+ lbs on him, and has a very very thick upper body build. You're welcome to your opinion, but if you think it is unfounded that Bowers is a 4-3 player, then we can group you with that guy who still thinks Ricky Stanzi is the best prospect in the draft...oh wait...
Originally posted by TalkinBoutWILLIS:
Originally posted by TexasNiner:

of course he is a better safety than QB haha but i think the relations to safety is speed concerns he has good speed but not elite

I think he can be a CB. The question with him is hip fluidity, not speed. He actually has ELITE speed. That's his strongest resume point. I think he'll have a Lott type career, where he'll start at CB, but will eventually realize that he can be a better S. I also think a safety is worth #7 pick. Wouldn't you give up #7 for Palamalu?

You see Fairley as a one-hit wonder, I see him as a penetrating two-gap DT that can play inside or outside in a 3-4. Hes very fast off the snap and probably the hardest player to block in the draft. I'd be pretty disappointed if we passed on Fairley with the #7 pick. Dareus is also very similar to Fairley, only not as dominating on every snap like like Fairley. And as much as we've seen how good Raji was for Green Bay, Dareus and Fairley are both just as or more impressive than Raji. And if we're gonna run the 3-4 properly, it all starts with the D-line, I don't know any successful 3-4 out there with a sub par D-line.

This is just my opinion, I could careless what the scouts say about Fairley and Dareus. Sure I've been wrong about prospects and of course am not a real talent evaluator, but scouts have been wrong too. And I'm sure if both Fairley and Dareus were there at the #7 overall pick, scouts would probably agree that it wouldn't be wise to pass them up if they fell to #7.

Still major question marks regarding work effort. And I don't get how scout opinions are meaningless. These are people who do this for a living, have access to the type of material most people simply don't, and talk directly to coaches and teammates. Are they wrong sometimes? Yes. Are they wrong often? Yes. But to care less? I think scout opinions are very important. You should form your own opinions, of course, but input of others is very valuable.
I like this list.

I think Cam is a wild card though. Pending a good combine, he could jump strait to the top.
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
Bowers not on there?

HAHAHAHAHA LOL.

And I suggest you do some reading of posts you respond to. I said he is a "waste" as a 3-4 end. Meaning that it is not a good use of his talents. He is clearly most valuable as a 4-3 end, and putting him in position to take on blockers is a very bad use of his skill set. A team can afford one 3-4 end the size of Smith, not 2. A 3-4 end is ideally 310 lbs. Smith is 285. Opposite of him the other end has to be at least 3 bills, otherwise we are once again squeezing a square peg in a round hole. Smith is also abnormally strong for his size. He's got the strength of a man who has 40+ lbs on him, and has a very very thick upper body build. You're welcome to your opinion, but if you think it is unfounded that Bowers is a 4-3 player, then we can group you with that guy who still thinks Ricky Stanzi is the best prospect in the draft...oh wait...
Pwned

and youre absolutely right
Share 49ersWebzone