LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 216 users in the forums

stevers first full 1st round mock draft 2011

Have fun :)
----------
1) Carolina Panthers

AJ Green, WR , Georgia

There are some character concerns with Nick Fairley and Dareus is not a 1st overall pick. There is no qb worth this pick, too, so the Panthers need to take a player who can be an offensive weapon for Clausen, or another qb they take later.

------------------------

2) Denver Broncos

Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn

Jon Elway has made resigning Bailey a priority, else this pick could be Peterson. With safety being another position where Denver needs help, Peterson could still be the pick, but i think, in this scenario, the Broncos select Nick Fairley, who should really excel in their new 4-3 defense.

--------------------------

3) Buffalo Bills

Robert Quinn, OLB, North Carolina

Their top need is an ot, but nobody is worth a pick this high this year. A nose tackle is no option with Fairley gone the pick before. The leaves a pass rusher as the next biggest need. If they were in a 4-3, this pick would be Bowers. But we are talking about a 3-4 and so the pick is Von Miller or Robert Quinn. I think Quinn will tear up the combine and will be the 1st 3-4 linebacker this year.

-------------------------------

4) Cincinatti Bengals

Daquan Bowers, DE, Clemson

The two biggest needs are CB and a pass rusher. This was a hard decision between Peterson and Bowers. The Bengals have a real problem getting to the qb, even with a good rookie season by Carlos Dunlap. At cb, Jonathan Joseph has said, that he wants to stay, so the Bengals will find a way to sign him. This make Bowers the pick.

---------------------------------

5) Arizona Cardinals

Cam Newton, QB, Auburn

The Cardinals are a real mess at qb. Nobody has shown, that he can be a starter in the nfl. There are some other troubles at olb, so Von Miller could be an option, too, but i think some team will fall in love with Newton, and i think the cards are desperate enought to do so.

------------------------------------

6) Cleveland Browns

Von Miller, OLB/DE , Texas A&M

The top need for the browns is a #1 wr, and Julio Jones is an option. But i think, there will be some good wr talent available in the early 2nd round. The next two big needs are de and olb. Von Miller could play both positions and will be a real pass rushing terror.

----------------------------------------

7) San Francisco 49ers

Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU

There will be somebody running to the podium in this scenario. I thought about Marcel Dareus here, who would be absolutely awesome as an 3-4 end opposite to Justin Smith, but Peterson is just to good on a position of need. And even better : If he is not quick enough to be an elite cb, he will be a pro bowl safety :)

------------------------------------------

8) Tennessee Titans

Marcel Dareus, DT, Alabama

Blaine Gabbert could be the pick here if the Titans somehow manage to get Haynesworth back. If they don't, they need a domininat dt. Dareus would be an dt in their 4-3 and can really generate pressure from this position.

-------------------------------------------

9) Dallas Cowboys

Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska

Another team, that will run to the podium if this happens. Terence Newman still is a good cb, but he is in the mid 30s and due to a big payday. Amukamara may be the best pure cornerback in the draft so this is a no brainer.

-----------------------------------------------

10) Washington Redskins

Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

Julio Jones could be the pick, too, but the qb situation in Washington is a real mess. McNabb will be gone when the season starts and nobody else is worth starting. Gabbert seems to be the 1st qb besides Newton on the boards.

------------------------------------------------

11) Houston Texans

Ryan Kerrigan, OLB, Purdue

The Texans move to a 3-4 and remove themselfs of their best pass rushing tread with moving Williams to a 3-4 end. So they need new pass rushers and Ryan Kerrigan is exactly what they need. Aldon Smith could be the pick here, too.

12) Minnessota Vikings

Julio Jones, WR, Alabama

This pick depends on who the vikings will put the franchise tag on. If the will tag Chad Greenway (what i think would be wise), they could loose Sidney Rice. In this scenario, with Julio Jones falling to #12, this pick is almost sure to happen.

13) Detroit Lions

Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA

The lions denied their need for an ot the last few years, so i don't think they will pick on ot this year in a very weak class on this position. Julian Peterson will likely be released because of his down season and huge contract and Zack Follet had a very bad looking injury.

-------------------------------------------------

14) St.Louis Rams

Cameron Jordan, DE/DT, CAL

With Julio Jones gone, the Rams will set their eyes on dline help. Jordan can play opposite to Chris Long on base downs and move inside on passing downs, providing them with a long needed update.

---------------------------------------------------

15) Miami Dolphins

Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama

The top qbs are not available, Jake Locker would be a reach currently, so the next need is a running back with both Brown and Williams beeing on their way out.

16) Jacksonville Jaguars

Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri

This is between Clayborn, Watt and Smith here, with a pass rushing DE missing on the Jaguars roster besides Aaron Kapman, who had two ACL tears in two years and can't be counted on. The decision is on Smith here based on his potential and trend to pick pure pass rushers quite early (see Pierre-Paul last year)

17 ) New England Patriots (from Oakland)

JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin

There is some work needed on both lines. There are some offensive tackles available later at #28, but a player like Watt has to be taken here. The patriots decide between him and Clayborn and take their Justin Smith clone

--------------------------------------------------

18) San Diego Chargers

Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa

The other option here is a pass rusher, but Clayborn can be both a base end and a pass rusher from this position. I think the chargers will take whoever the Patriots don't take at #17

--------------------------------------------------------

19) New York Giants

Nate Solder, OT, Colorado

It is time for the 1st offensive tackle. The Giants have a problem at left tackle after a bad season by Willam Beatty. Solder is very good value in the late teens.

20) Tampa Bay Buccs

Justin Houston, DE, Georgia

The young Buccs team seems to have everything in place in the offense for a long time, but need some pass rusher to pair them with their good young interior linemen.Houston is exactly what they need. A real pass rusher who knows where the way to the qb is.

21) Kansas City Chiefs

Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin

There are bigger needs at pass rusher, but there is no pass rusher after Houson beeing gone in this part of the draft. An OT makes a lot of sense, because Brandon Albert has some problems on the left side and Barry Richardson can't pass protect. The knock on Carimi is, that he may be a RT only, but they can try him on the left and move Albert over to the other side.

----------------------------------------------

22) Indinapolis Colts

Tyron Smith, OT, USC

Another draft, another year the colts need help on both lines. Cameron Heyward would fit the colts offense quite good as an dt, but i think Smith is just to tempting as a new left tackle to pass on him.

23) Philadelphia Eagles

Derrick Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State

The run on offensive tackles continues. Michael Vick gets killed every week and won't take this beating for a full season, so they need to protect him. So this pick should be Sherrod or Castonzo

24) New Orleans Saints

Cameron Heyward, DT, Ohio State

The saints need a player on their dline, that can penetrate and get to the qb. Heyward played a lot de in college but should be able to be a very good player in the saints scheme. The other option could be a running back, but there should be a rb available a round later

------------------------------------------------------

25) Seattle Seahawks

Jimmy Smith, CB , Colorado

If the seahawks don't pick Locker here , their biggest need should be a cornerback opposite to Marcus Trufant. Kelly Jennings is a free agent and so the best available corner should be the pick. (Brandon Harris is in the running , too)

-------------------------------------------------------

26) Baltimore Ravens

Torey Smith, WR, Maryland

Joe Flacco needs a deep threat at wr, to stretch the field for guys like Ray Rice and Anquan Boldin. Smith is sure handed, can fly and brings value as a return man, too.

------------------------------------------------------

27) Atlanta Falcons

Anthony Castonzo, Boston College

Sam Baker really struggled this year and the Falcons need Matt Ryan to be healthy. They could pick WR like baldwin or a defensive tackle like Liuget, but i think a protected Matt Ryan is reason enough

----------------------------------------------------------------

28) New England Patriots

Mikkel Leshoure, RB, Illinois

The patriots miss out on the offensive tackle hunt by one pick and decide to address their running back by commitee approach by adding a real #1 back with the versatile guy from Illinois

29) Chicago Bears

Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida

Like the patriots, the bears would have loved to find an ot late in the 1st round, but nobody is left. The interior line is another weakness of the bears and if Mike Pouncey does play half the way his brother does in Pittsburgh, he will be special

30) New York Jets

Jonathan Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh

Holmes and Braylon Edwards are both free agents and it will be very expensive to resign both of them. The Jets should opt to bring in competition with the very talented guy. He is a character risk, but Rex Ryan does not really shy away from that.

-------------------------------------------------------------

31) Pittsburgh Steelers

Brandon Harris, CB, Miami

If there is a weak link in the steelers defense, it is their cornerbacks. McFadden really is not very special. With Brandon Harris available this late, he should be a no brainer, especially with Pouncey gone.

------------------------------------------------------------------

32) Green Bay Packers

Corey Liuget, DE, Illinois

Cullen Jenkins is a free agent, Johnny Jolly had his share of troubles before and so the pack could need a new 3-4 end. Liuget is a dt in the 4-3 and a de in the 3-4.
[ Edited by stever on Feb 19, 2011 at 8:50 AM ]
And here is the continuation : Rd 2 and Rd3 until the niners pick:

33 New England S.Wisniewsky OG
34 Buffalo P.Taylor NT
35 Cincinatti R.Mallet QB
36 Denver A.Williams CB
37 Cleveland L.Hankerson WR
38 Arizona M.Wilson MLB
39 Tennessee J.Locker QB
40 Dallas R.Moore S
41 Washington T.Young WR
42 Houston S.Paea NT
43 Minnesota B.Carter OLB
44 Detroit R.Hudson OG
45 San Francisco C.Ponder QB
46 Denver B.Ijalana OG
47 St.Louis J.Jernigan WR
48 Oakland J.Moffit OG
49 Jacksonville M.Foster OLB
50 San Diego Q.Carter S
51 Tampa Bay G.Jones OLB
52 New York G K.Rudolph TE
53 Indianapolis D.Nevis DT
54 Philadelphia R.I.Dowling CB
55 Kansas City J.Beal OLB
56 New Orleans R.Williams RB
57 Seattle C.Kaepernick QB
58 Baltimore D.Thomas RB
59 Atlanta A.Bailey DE
60 New England J.Sheard OLB
61 Chicago M.Austin DT
62 San Diego JJ.Powe NT
63 Pittsburgh C.Ballard DE
64 Green Bay B.Burton CB

65 Carolina D.Watkins OG
66 Cincinatti D.McDaniel S
67 Denver J.Carpenter OT
68 Buffalo D.Love OT
69 Arizona M.Herzlich OLB
70 Cleveland C.Brown CB
71 Dallas M.Cannon OG
72 New Orleans Q.Sturdivant OLB
73 Houston D.House CB
74 New England O.Franklin OT
75 Detroit J.Brown CB
76 San Francisco B.Reed OLB
[ Edited by stever on Feb 19, 2011 at 12:39 PM ]
Nice
Looks mostly plausible. Just a couple things...

• No way Phil Taylor makes it out of the first round, unless he pulls an Andre Smith at the combine. Wouldn't surprise me to see him go in the top 15.
  • I think that's a little high to be taking Ponder. Maybe the Niners trade up from the third after they take an OLB with their second pick.
  • The picks overall are very rational, but there's bound to be a head-scratcher or two in the first round.
  • I have the feeling some team below 20 will trade up to get a player they want from a team that needs more picks.
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Looks mostly plausible. Just a couple things...

• No way Phil Taylor makes it out of the first round, unless he pulls an Andre Smith at the combine. Wouldn't surprise me to see him go in the top 15.
  • I think that's a little high to be taking Ponder. Maybe the Niners trade up from the third after they take an OLB with their second pick.
  • The picks overall are very rational, but there's bound to be a head-scratcher or two in the first round.
  • I have the feeling some team below 20 will trade up to get a player they want from a team that needs more picks.

You are absolutely right about the head scratchers. There have been some in every draft i followed (from Donte Withner, over Heyward-Bey to Tyson Alualu in the recent years), but in a mock i try to assess what the teams should do from a common perspective :)
It is also very true, that there will be trades, but my mocks are tradeless :)

I don't know, if a NT will be drafted that high. Even Vince Wilfork went in the 20s as we all painfully know (I won't say the name of the WR the niners drafted now) ;)
One more thing : Which OLB would you pick up in the 2nd round ? I don't really see many options in the middle of the 2nd round. Jeremy Beal looked completely lost against bigger oposition at the senior bowl. In my scenario with Foster and Carter beeing 4-3 olbs, this only leaves Sheard or Herzlich and i think it is way to high for both of them.
Great my mock would look similar you have great reasoning behind each pick. If bailey and joseph re sign....then i think we can get pp.

The only two that may screw things up are von miller might be picked up before cle and green although it makes the most sense might be too high for a number one pick. Wrs rarely go first no matter how good. Besides that and the trades that might happen very solid first 15 picks and great reasoning
would be happy with those first 3 rounds...all pretty solid talent at positions of need
Share 49ersWebzone