Final Mock Draft Before Combine

CAR-Fairley
DEN-Bowers
BUF-Dareus
CIN-Green
AZ-Gabbert
CLE-Miller

1st- CB Patrick Peterson-automatic starter across from Spencer

2nd- QB Christian Ponder-perfect WCO Quarterback that will be our future while a bet starts

3rd-OLB Sam Acho-A good pass rusher who will challenge Brooks/Laboy for PT, while a FA like Wimbley starts on the other side

4th-NT Sione Fua-Fangio's NT from Stanford. Fits our new defense well.

4th-WR Ronald Johnson-Quick, speedy receiver that we need

5th-Stanley Havili-WCO Fullback

6th-RB Derrick Locke-lightning quick RB with a small frame but not afraid of contact

6th-C Chase Beeler-A solid Stanford OL who will help the OL with the new offense

7th-DT Terrell McCLain- good value at this point in the draft. DT with potential
I'm totally down for that draft.
This is actually not bad -- however, I'm skeptical of Ponder. I think he has NFL intangibles, but his health is just unbelievably concerning. He was hurt so much and even when healthy he never really stood out as someone special. It wasn't that he was awful (although every now and then he stunk it up), it was just that in all the times I saw Ponder play, I waited for some sort of wow factor, and never saw it. I never came away super impressed, and that was concerning to me.

If he can stay healthy, I can see Ponder being a solid QB one day, perhaps similar to Jake Plummer. But he's got a fair amount to overcome.

Overall this mock, again, is pretty solid. I wouldn't be a fan of Ronald Johnson though. Dropped a lot, and I mean a lot of easy passes this year. At one point it was just getting embarrassing. I think the kid does a decent job of getting open, but I think he's going to struggle in the NFL and won't ever be more than a #3 or 4.
If Peterson is still there at #6, I think the Browns either draft him or trade down to Dallas and get the best DT or DE available. IMO, Peterson is too valuable to just let slide by; I have a hard time seeing a scenario where the Browns don't capitalize on him somehow.

I also see AZ taking Miller and not a QB that high.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
If Peterson is still there at #6, I think the Browns either draft him or trade down to Dallas and get the best DT or DE available. IMO, Peterson is too valuable to just let slide by; I have a hard time seeing a scenario where the Browns don't capitalize on him somehow.

Some draft day trade scenarios are completely unrealistic, this one isn't. Cleveland doesn't need Peterson as much as Dallas needs a CB and could pick up another 3rd rounder and still pick up Darius with the #9.

On the other hand, if Dallas is OK with Amukamara, they could stay put and get a CB.

But, Jerry Jones loves the spotlight and fancies himself as a smart, wheeler-dealer GM so I could see him making this move.
[ Edited by DaveWilcox on Feb 18, 2011 at 6:51 AM ]
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

I would take Ponder or Dalton there. I like Dalton a little bit better though, nice long consistent winning resume and played his best in his biggest game against a defense that had solid NFL talent. Plus no health concerns. My only real concern is he's a ginger and I can't remember any good ginger QBs.
great job
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

Some draft day trade scenarios are completely unrealistic, this one isn't. Cleveland doesn't need Peterson as much as Dallas needs a CB and could pick up another 3rd rounder and still pick up Darius with the #9.

On the other hand, if Dallas is OK with Amukamara, they could stay put and get a CB.

But, Jerry Jones loves the spotlight and fancies himself as a smart, wheeler-dealer GM so I could see him making this move.

Besides need, this is probably the biggest reason for a trade like that.
Originally posted by TX9R:

I would take Ponder or Dalton there. I like Dalton a little bit better though, nice long consistent winning resume and played his best in his biggest game against a defense that had solid NFL talent. Plus no health concerns. My only real concern is he's a ginger and I can't remember any good ginger QBs.

Garcia?
This is the best mock ive seen so far

McClain is viewed by many as a 2nd-3rd rounder, with almost no chance of him falling past the 4th-5th round. Anything is possible, but having a guy that big, that talented and at that position fall to the 7th, is unlikely.
Originally posted by TX9R:

Gingers have no souls
McClain is viewed by many as a 2nd-3rd rounder, with almost no chance of him falling past the 4th-5th round. Anything is possible, but having a guy that big, that talented and at that position fall to the 7th, is unlikely.

I understand that some regard him as a high draft pick, but I've also seen him as a late round pick, too. IIRC, Maddog also said he'd be available in the 6th or 7th. We'll see, though. I know you're much better than me at this draft stuff.
Originally posted by valrod33:
This is the best mock ive seen so far

Thank you. I tried making it realistic and made sure to address all needs.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
CAR-Fairley
DEN-Bowers
BUF-Dareus
CIN-Green
AZ-Gabbert
CLE-Miller

1st- CB Patrick Peterson-automatic starter across from Spencer

2nd- QB Christian Ponder-perfect WCO Quarterback that will be our future while a bet starts

3rd-OLB Sam Acho-A good pass rusher who will challenge Brooks/Laboy for PT, while a FA like Wimbley starts on the other side

4th-NT Sione Fua-Fangio's NT from Stanford. Fits our new defense well.

4th-WR Ronald Johnson-Quick, speedy receiver that we need

5th-Stanley Havili-WCO Fullback

6th-RB Derrick Locke-lightning quick RB with a small frame but not afraid of contact

6th-C Chase Beeler-A solid Stanford OL who will help the OL with the new offense

7th-DT Terrell McCLain- good value at this point in the draft. DT with potential

I would LOVE Peterson in the first round! If we get him that would be phenomonal, I just hope you're right. I would also say that I would rather see that pass rusher in the 2nd round (Houston from GA?) than go to Dalton especially in the 2nd. I'd be ok with him in the 3rd or Stanzi in the 3rd.

Also I thought Johnson was dropping even further than 5th round consideration based on the fact that he couldn't gain seperation from anyone at the Senior Bowl. Overall pretty good mock though. I wouldn't be hating the whole draft process if this happened, but would still like a little more.
Share 49ersWebzone