There are 206 users in the forums

Are We Just Being Teased

• buck
  • Veteran
Given that we are picking seventh, we should pick a very good player.

We will have a little bit better idea after the combine. I think that we be able to fill one of our big needs--QB, OLB, or CB--in the first round.
Originally posted by TalkinBoutWILLIS:
The more and more I look at mock drafts I see us landing Patrick Peterson. This is not only fan mocks but the so called gurus as well. Kipers new mock has us landing peterson instead of quinn now. Is this a very good possibility or are we just being teased and someone will snag him before us.

With that being said how would we approach the rest of the draft and FA (whenever that would start) if we are to assume we will land Peterson

If Peterson runs 4.3 anything he wont be there. If he runs in the 4.2s hes a definate top 3 pick. All mocks will change a good 10 times after the combine right up to the draft.
Another fact to this little tease is that; on the sportscenter bottom line, it said that John Elway is trying to work out a deal with Champ Bailey before the CBA runs out to keep him in Denver.

The first thing I thought was Peterson dropping.

I can't see in any way, how a team AFTER Denver would make a corner/safety a top 5 pick under each teams circumstances. (I actually thought PP would go 2nd because of the high need.) The Broncos could very well address their D with Bowers or Fairley. What a great dilemma if Newton goes first. I think they take Bowers. And hopefully Champ to go with him.

I cannot see in any way, how Buffalo spends a #3 pick on Peterson. Even though they have a pretty good group at receiver, I believe its more of a chance to draft Green than on cornerback.

Cincinnati, this team I see would have power to trade down because of the top-flight talent available. A few needs to address can be made at the bottom of the first. So I can totally see a team with few needs like Minnesota, or the Titans, who need a qb or Patrick Peterson, make a jump to this spot. Very realistic.

A quarterback who shines more than a cornerback at the Combine will be the reason for Arizona's pick. #5, I cannot see Patrick Peterson chosen if he falls from #4. The team will not be improved drastically the way it would if Newton or Gabbert was drafted. This team needs a top tier qb because whiz doesn't have the gift of developing qbs who have some question marks; like other coaches do.

Von Miller to the Browns anyone. I think so.
Or our worse case scenario - a trade down with the Cowboys, who snag Peterson without breaking the bank. Very possible, I think this could happen

My thoughts

Fairley first
Bowers to the Broncos
AJ Green third
Cincinnati stays and picks Newton.
Gabbert in Arizona
Peterson at 6 by trade (Dallas)

We miss out if we don't move
[ Edited by SFL49ER on Feb 17, 2011 at 7:11 PM ]
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Another fact to this little tease is that; on the sportscenter bottom line, it said that John Elway is trying to work out a deal with Champ Bailey before the CBA runs out to keep him in Denver.

I can't see in any way, how a team AFTER Denver would make a corner/safety a top 5 pick under each teams circumstances. (I actually thought PP would go 2nd because of the high need.) The Broncos could very well address their D with Bowers or Fairley. What a great dilemma if Newton goes first. I think they take Bowers. And hopefully Champ to go with him.

I cannot see in any way, how Buffalo spends a #3 pick on Peterson. Even though they have a pretty good group at receiver, I believe its more of a chance to draft Green than on cornerback.

Cincinnati, this team I see would have power to trade down because of the top-flight talent available. A few needs to address can be made at the bottom of the first. So I can totally see a team with few needs like Minnesota, or the Titans, who need a qb or Patrick Peterson, make a jump to this spot. Very realistic.

A quarterback who shines more than a cornerback at the Combine will be the reason for Arizona's pick. #5, I cannot see Patrick Peterson chosen if he falls from #4. The team will not be improved drastically the way it would if Newton or Gabbert was drafted. This team needs a top tier qb because whiz doesn't have the gift of developing qbs who have some question marks; like other coaches do.

Or our worse case scenario - a trade down with the Cowboys, who snag Peterson without breaking the bank. Very possible, I think this could happen

My thoughts

Fairley first
Bowers to the Broncos
AJ Green third
Gabbert in Arizona

Really newton to cincinnati??? Palmar is the first qb to even throw more td's then ints for the bungles. I think they will try to do whatever they can to keep him and make him happy. Arizona might do that i still think they will take miller.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:

My thoughts

Fairley first
Bowers to the Broncos
AJ Green third
Gabbert in Arizona

Really newton to cincinnati??? Palmar is the first qb to even throw more td's then ints for the bungles. I think they will try to do whatever they can to keep him and make him happy. Arizona might do that i still think they will take miller.

What's done is done in Cincinnati for Palmer. There isn't any turning back from here. Look for fireworks from the Bengals' front office once this CBA gets straightened out. Their owner is a jackass idiot and this time his hard ways are going to backfire if he doesn't work a trade and get value for CP.

Even so, quarterback play has been a big factor in the fall of the Bengals. A new direction. A fresh face is what they need. Without a trade down, they will miss on the best qbs in this draft if they don't take one with their first pick. I don't think they take that chance when they see Newton on their board at #4! Its a win win situation to me.
[ Edited by SFL49ER on Feb 18, 2011 at 5:41 AM ]
i really do think you are right about the cowboys possibly moving up. in terms of pure talent they are probably one of the top third in talent. so losing picks to move up wont hurt them since they are very talented.

the only problem is if peterson is still on the board amukamara would still be on the board and i now dont see why they would move up when they would just land either....tenn and wash arent going cb unless its PP and that would be just a BPA pick.
Patrick, Prince or Miller and im happy.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by irishluder:
I just saw Mayock quote about PP being a possible safety, I wonder if this is why he may slide to #7. Is it correct to say that PP may be a younger Nate Clements?

I hope that Newton and Gabbert get picked ahead of us so (2) top 5 players could slide...maybe we could pull a small trade back and still get Miller, PP, or Prince

I'm excited for the combine, this CBA drama has me all antsy!

As a huge LSU fan that watched nearly every game. I'd say that is THE exact comparison I have made in my mind for a long time now. Both have the same strengths and weaknesses. At this point in their ages, PP still has the speed and Nate has lost a couple of steps. PP is such a safe choice because he would make a great safety if CB fails him. I don't think it will though... nor do I think he will be available after his Combine performances.

Hey Oldman:
I have enjoyed your input over the years and I was wondering if you took the projected top 10 in this years draft what would be the order of selection for the niners? Would we go Newton, Fairly, Peterson if we were drafting number 1?

Just quickly reflecting on the last decade of #1 overall selections and our current roster, one would likely figure on this hypothetical pick for SF being a QB.

It's hard to know or say which QB though... I don't think it would be Cam Newton. I don't see him being the cerebral type of QB that Harbaugh would target. The guess would have to be Blaine Gabbert... but I do not think he would be a worthy choice there. You would be thinking QB, OT, or DE... and at this time, there are no prospects worthy of the #1 overall from those positions.

So like 2005, it would seem to be a really crappy year to pick #1 overall. To simply take the Best Talent Available at #1, I would say the pick should be A.J. Green, Patrick Peterson, or possibly Fairley/Marcell Dareus. Keep in mind, the Combine can help make things more clear.

Who would I take at #1 right now? That's a disgusting call... just for the money involved... and we still don't know what will happen with the restructuring of Clements' contract... or whether we will be keeping Franklin. That plays a part too. Best talent is like I said above... but it's a crappy place to be.

I think Green, PP, and Dareus are safe picks that WILL be pretty good... so while the value may not be there? As a hypothetical GM decision maker, I'm taking one of them.
Share 49ersWebzone