There are 265 users in the forums

WORSE case scenario for the 49ers this draft.....

Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Worse case scenario is we draft Cam Newton

definitely this too!

if he has to start right away yes. id be perfectly fine if we went with newton (hopefully we traded down in the first and got him) and were able to have a solid vet teach him the ways for a year or 2. smith for all his criticism and talk about revolving OC and playbooks had to pretty much start right away when we werent very good at all. i personally think that is the reason why he turned out the way he did....everything else certainly didnt help
Originally posted by TalkinBoutWILLIS:

definitely this too!

if he has to start right away yes. id be perfectly fine if we went with newton (hopefully we traded down in the first and got him) and were able to have a solid vet teach him the ways for a year or 2. smith for all his criticism and talk about revolving OC and playbooks had to pretty much start right away when we werent very good at all. i personally think that is the reason why he turned out the way he did....everything else certainly didnt help

Well I for one don't like drafting THAT big of a project at #7. So you can imagine how I felt when we drafted Alex #1 overall... but that's history.

Cam may very well develop into a good QB years from now... but the value for me just isn't there inside the top 15... despite the fact that these guys do get drafted early by some teams. If we want a project that can develop for a couple of years, we should wait till later in the draft, IMHO.
I am open to all variations on the theme. I would like Fairly but he is not likely to drop to us. I would like in the following order:
Fairly
Miller
Peterson
Newton
Bowers
Green
Trade back and get Kerrigan, Cameron, Ayers, Smith, Amakamura and as many other draft picks that we can get.
Originally posted by rayn36:
Originally posted by joeymac49s:
I agree a good player will be there at 7 i'm just afraid it's a player we're going to reach on. However, I feel pretty good with Harbaugh/Ballke at the helm however i'd like some options... I'm not sold on Quinn at all Mike Williams and Maurice Clarett had to sit out of football a year before being drafted, how did those two make out?? Not to mention the last D-linemen we took from North Carolina who was suppose to be a "beast" didn't turn out so well for us. (Kentwan Balmer) So excuse me if i'm a little hesitant to jump on his band wagon. That really only leaves Dareus left for us. Not that he's not a good player. Like I said, I would just like a little variety. We definately are in the perfect place. Hopefully someone falls in love w/ Quinn or Darius b/c I honestly would like to move down at that point and take an Akeem Ayers or Cameron Jordan and get some extra picks.

I either do not understand your draft logic or if I am understanding it, I do not agree. Balmer was a late bloomer and a 1 hit wonder in college. It is unfair/unwise to pigeonhole DL from UNC because he could very well have a career like Julius Peppers.

Also, I do not understand your stance on Dareus. You do not like him because of variety? I think he would be a beast as a 3-4 end. He would be a huge upgrade.

It sounds like you have already decided you want to trade down. I am not against this but there will be a great prospect at 7. Unless there are multiple players we are targeting who are available and equal in value, we need to stay put.

Worst case scenario IMO - Quinn, Miller, Dareus
Best case - Peterson, Green, etc
We will get a great player no matter what.

The part about him being a DT from NC was a joke, the part about his off the field issues and not playing for a full year are legitimate concerns and reasons I don't want to draft him that early in the draft. I just feel at pick #7 there shouldn't be any serious question marks about the person your going to draft.

As for my stance on Dareus I believe he is going to be a very good pro and I said he would be the only person left I wouldn't have any questions on us picking. What I was saying about variety was I'd like to have more top players available so we can have more options then just Dareus (who once again I believe is the only player that would be safe to take) Basically, I'm saying if the draft falls the way it fell above Dareus would be our only option at #7 b/c I don't like Quinn there.

I haven't decided on trading down. Personally let's say the top 3 are gone, Bowers,Fairley and Green... My ideal stance then would us to go Peterson, Prince, Von Miller, Dareus, trade down. In that order. My arguement is if the draft falls that way and our pick at #7 is Dareus or Quinn then we should really look at trading down b/c I honestly believe Jordan (which by the way the draft we're talking about has Jordan going to the Cowboys 2 picks after we take Newton and 2 picks before Quinn) will develop into just as good a pass rusher as Quinn would, maybe not Dareus but I don't think far from him. So would we trade down a few spots to draft Jordan who is a small notch below Dareus for us to pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd Rd. pick? I honestly believe after the top pass rushers/D-lineman go (Fairley, Bowers, Von Miller and Dareus) the next batch (Akeem Ayers, Cameron Jordan, Justin Houston, Ryan Kerrigan, Aldon Smith, Adrian Clayborn and Cameron Heyward) aren't as far behind the top players as people would like to think. I honestly believe this is a very deep Pass Rush draft which is why I think we should go "shut down" corner first. (Peterson, Prince)

Worse Case Scenario IMO- Quinn, A QB that is drafted on "potential"
Best Case Scenarion IMO, In this order- Peterson, Prince, Von Miller, Dareus
of course that's assuming the top 3 are gone.
The sum of this whole thing is yes we're going to get a great player at #7 however, if the top guys on our board are gone, especially at the need positions. Then IMO I believe we could trade back, pick up and extra 2nd or 3rd and get a player that will be just as good as what we could have had at #7.

How about this scenario, Fairley, Bowers, Peterson, Prince, Von Miller, AJ Green are all gone, we trade down to #12-15 and pick up an extra 2nd Rd pick. We draft Cameron Jordan... We use said new found 2nd rd pick and 1 of our 2 4th rd picks, trade BACK up into the 1st rd. and select Jimmy Smith or Brandon Harris. I would prefer that over taking a question mark of a player in Quinn. Did I clarify anything or just confuse you more?? I tend to over think things....
I agree a good player will be there at 7 i'm just afraid it's a player we're going to reach on. However, I feel pretty good with Harbaugh/Ballke at the helm however i'd like some options... I'm not sold on Quinn at all Mike Williams and Maurice Clarett had to sit out of football a year before being drafted, how did those two make out?? Not to mention the last D-linemen we took from North Carolina who was suppose to be a "beast" didn't turn out so well for us. (Kentwan Balmer) So excuse me if i'm a little hesitant to jump on his band wagon. That really only leaves Dareus left for us. Not that he's not a good player. Like I said, I would just like a little variety. We definately are in the perfect place. Hopefully someone falls in love w/ Quinn or Darius b/c I honestly would like to move down at that point and take an Akeem Ayers or Cameron Jordan and get some extra picks.

I either do not understand your draft logic or if I am understanding it, I do not agree. Balmer was a late bloomer and a 1 hit wonder in college. It is unfair/unwise to pigeonhole DL from UNC because he could very well have a career like Julius Peppers.

Also, I do not understand your stance on Dareus. You do not like him because of variety? I think he would be a beast as a 3-4 end. He would be a huge upgrade.

It sounds like you have already decided you want to trade down. I am not against this but there will be a great prospect at 7. Unless there are multiple players we are targeting who are available and equal in value, we need to stay put.

The part about him being a DT from NC was a joke, the part about his off the field issues and not playing for a full year are legitimate concerns and reasons I don't want to draft him that early in the draft. I just feel at pick #7 there shouldn't be any serious question marks about the person your going to draft.

As for my stance on Dareus I believe he is going to be a very good pro and I said he would be the only person left I wouldn't have any questions on us picking. What I was saying about variety was I'd like to have more top players available so we can have more options then just Dareus (who once again I believe is the only player that would be safe to take) Basically, I'm saying if the draft falls the way it fell above Dareus would be our only option at #7 b/c I don't like Quinn there.

I haven't decided on trading down. Personally let's say the top 3 are gone, Bowers,Fairley and Green... My ideal stance then would us to go Peterson, Prince, Von Miller, Dareus, trade down. In that order. My arguement is if the draft falls that way and our pick at #7 is Dareus or Quinn then we should really look at trading down b/c I honestly believe Jordan (which by the way the draft we're talking about has Jordan going to the Cowboys 2 picks after we take Newton and 2 picks before Quinn) will develop into just as good a pass rusher as Quinn would, maybe not Dareus but I don't think far from him. So would we trade down a few spots to draft Jordan who is a small notch below Dareus for us to pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd Rd. pick? I honestly believe after the top pass rushers/D-lineman go (Fairley, Bowers, Von Miller and Dareus) the next batch (Akeem Ayers, Cameron Jordan, Justin Houston, Ryan Kerrigan, Aldon Smith, Adrian Clayborn and Cameron Heyward) aren't as far behind the top players as people would like to think. I honestly believe this is a very deep Pass Rush draft which is why I think we should go "shut down" corner first. (Peterson, Prince)

The sum of this whole thing is yes we're going to get a great player at #7 however, if the top guys on our board are gone, especially at the need positions. Then IMO I believe we could trade back, pick up and extra 2nd or 3rd and get a player that will be just as good as what we could have had at #7.

How about this scenario, Fairley, Bowers, Peterson, Prince, Von Miller, AJ Green are all gone, we trade down to #12-15 and pick up an extra 2nd Rd pick. We draft Cameron Jordan... We use said new found 2nd rd pick and 1 of our 2 4th rd picks, trade BACK up into the 1st rd. and select Jimmy Smith or Brandon Harris. I would prefer that over taking a question mark of a player in Quinn. Did I clarify anything or just confuse you more?? I tend to over think things....

I think you clarified everything. I think you may have just assumed we all understood what you was going on in that over thinking brain of yours earlier though

It is too early to rule Quinn out at a high pick bc he missed a year. And even with his off field issues. Here's why:

-Players miss full years before the draft frequently. The latest high profile pick was Bradford. What I need to see is what kind of shape he is in at the combine. That will determine how far he is from being in football shape.

-He will go through very thorough tests at the combine. From interviews I have seen and his competitive sports history, I have seen a humble guy with great work ethic (you don't go undefeated in wrestling for 2 years without good work ethic). He can put the character issue question marks to rest with the interviews at the combine.

Those are the 2 knocks on him. Other than that, he is easily one of the top 3-4 prospects in this draft and could actually push for 1st overall.

All I'm saying is Quinn should still be in consideration. He could easily be a solid pick at 3 after a good combine.
[ Edited by rayn36 on Feb 17, 2011 at 10:11 PM ]
Worst case scenario would be if Newton and Gabbert are both gone. Harbaugh should at least have the option of a top QB if he wants one. Locker or Mallett may be a reach at 7.

Here's 8 non QBs that would be fine.

Green
Fairley
Dareus
Von Miller
Peterson
Prince A.
Quinn
Bowers

I don't sweat this draft too much because no matter who goes ahead of us, our options at 7 are outstanding.

My worse case scenario is if both QBs are gone, Miller is gone, both top CBs are gone, and Green is gone.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Worst case scenario would be if Newton and Gabbert are both gone. Harbaugh should at least have the option of a top QB if he wants one. Locker or Mallett may be a reach at 7.

Here's 8 non QBs that would be fine.

Green
Fairley
Dareus
Von Miller
Peterson
Prince A.
Quinn
Bowers

I don't sweat this draft too much because no matter who goes ahead of us, our options at 7 are outstanding.

My worse case scenario is if both QBs are gone, Miller is gone, both top CBs are gone, and Green is gone.

damn if both qbs are gone that would push
peterson
daerus
fairley
or green

best case scanario for me
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TalkinBoutWILLIS:

definitely this too!

Well I for one don't like drafting THAT big of a project at #7. So you can imagine how I felt when we drafted Alex #1 overall... but that's history.

Cam may very well develop into a good QB years from now... but the value for me just isn't there inside the top 15... despite the fact that these guys do get drafted early by some teams. If we want a project that can develop for a couple of years, we should wait till later in the draft, IMHO.

In the event that the CBA is resolved and we have the entire offseason how can you guys safely assume Cam needs a year to sit ? How do you know he is THAT big of a project ? Do you have connections at Auburn or Blinn? Ever been in a classroom setting with Cam ? Ever broke down film with the kid ?

Nobody truly knows how football smart the kid is, how quickly he can pick up an offense, and the likes. It's all guesswork, and those who don't want us to draft him are convincing themselves he is a big project without any true facts.

For all we know Harbaugh could have him ready to start on Day 1 with a full offseason to work with him. Perhaps he needs a year, perhaps 2 years. But his ceiling right now is at a point that from what we have seen on film there is no way to deny he isn't a top 10 prospect regardless of whether he needs a year or 2 to develop.

Put it this way if the NFL knew Tom Brady was going to be as good as he is but would need 2 years to develop (I know he started in year 2 but for arguments sake...), do you think teams would have taken him outside the top 15 and possibly outside the 1st round or would he have been a lock to go top 10 ? And no I am not comparing Newton to Brady just making a point.

I think you clarified everything. I think you may have just assumed we all understood what you was going on in that over thinking brain of yours earlier though

It is too early to rule Quinn out at a high pick bc he missed a year. And even with his off field issues. Here's why:

-Players miss full years before the draft frequently. The latest high profile pick was Bradford. What I need to see is what kind of shape he is in at the combine. That will determine how far he is from being in football shape.

-He will go through very thorough tests at the combine. From interviews I have seen and his competitive sports history, I have seen a humble guy with great work ethic (you don't go undefeated in wrestling for 2 years without good work ethic). He can put the character issue question marks to rest with the interviews at the combine.

Those are the 2 knocks on him. Other than that, he is easily one of the top 3-4 prospects in this draft and could actually push for 1st overall.

All I'm saying is Quinn should still be in consideration. He could easily be a solid pick at 3 after a good combine.

Bradford was not a one hit wonder though. DL are a hit miss thing as it is, add in situation like Quinns it is even greater. Not saying he might not amount to being great, but just to iffy for me.
Bradford was not a one hit wonder though. DL are a hit miss thing as it is, add in situation like Quinns it is even greater. Not saying he might not amount to being great, but just to iffy for me.

That's exactly what I was getting at. I understand when players miss a full year b/c of an injury. Your still able to be around the team and in the team atmosphere. Lift with the team, go to practices, travel with the team. All of that. If your suspended for the year I don't believe you can do that? I'm not 100% on that but i'm sure someone on here will know and if i'm wrong please take it easy on me for getting it wrong... It just seems common sense to me that if your suspended and in trouble you don't get all the perks the team gets. I do agree that Quinn had a great 09 however he did go from 2 sacks to 11 sacks in 1 year. Is that him growing as a player? Is that the D itself getting better? Is that a Balmer 1 hit wonder? Trust me I know I dont have all the answers and I KNOW they are going to look at Quinn especially if the 6 we all know and love are already gone. If Fangio likes Quinn for his D and we draft him I'm not saying it's going to ruin the draft for me like it did when we took Balmer (and Chilo) over DeSean Jackson (who I wanted us to draft SOOO bad and who also wanted to play here SOOO bad... )

The players I really want us to target in this draft are Peterson/Prince (I think both are going to develop into Revis-like CBs IF Prince can prove he has the top flight speed he's going to need) If both of them are gone by the time we pick then i'm open to whoever we take as long as we don't reach for them (like we did last year w/ Davis, we honestly could have traded DOWN a few places and got him instead of UP and giving up a draft pick), I also really want Christian Ponder as our future QB, I also would really like for us to give Greg Romeus DE Pittsburgh 6'6 270 a chance b/c I think he could be a HUGE steal if he can remain healthy, and last but definately not least I really want Owen Marecic FB Stanford 6'1 245lbs. I think he could be a HUGE HUGE HUGE help to this team, not only as a player but as an on the field coach. He played offense AND defense last year for Harbaugh so he knows both...... he could help teach our key guys (Gore,VD,Willis,TKO) this offense and defense. Not to mention we need to get younger and better at our FB position and he could become our next Michael Robinson on Special Teams.... Those are really the 4(5) guys I want us to take. Not to mention a big/physical WR, a speedy (big play) back and a DT (b/c I don't believe Franklin will be back)!! There's my dream mock draft guys.... Any thoughts???????

That's exactly what I was getting at. I understand when players miss a full year b/c of an injury. Your still able to be around the team and in the team atmosphere. Lift with the team, go to practices, travel with the team. All of that. If your suspended for the year I don't believe you can do that? I'm not 100% on that but i'm sure someone on here will know and if i'm wrong please take it easy on me for getting it wrong... It just seems common sense to me that if your suspended and in trouble you don't get all the perks the team gets. I do agree that Quinn had a great 09 however he did go from 2 sacks to 11 sacks in 1 year. Is that him growing as a player? Is that the D itself getting better? Is that a Balmer 1 hit wonder? Trust me I know I dont have all the answers and I KNOW they are going to look at Quinn especially if the 6 we all know and love are already gone. If Fangio likes Quinn for his D and we draft him I'm not saying it's going to ruin the draft for me like it did when we took Balmer (and Chilo) over DeSean Jackson (who I wanted us to draft SOOO bad and who also wanted to play here SOOO bad... )

The players I really want us to target in this draft are Peterson/Prince (I think both are going to develop into Revis-like CBs IF Prince can prove he has the top flight speed he's going to need) If both of them are gone by the time we pick then i'm open to whoever we take as long as we don't reach for them (like we did last year w/ Davis, we honestly could have traded DOWN a few places and got him instead of UP and giving up a draft pick), I also really want Christian Ponder as our future QB, I also would really like for us to give Greg Romeus DE Pittsburgh 6'6 270 a chance b/c I think he could be a HUGE steal if he can remain healthy, and last but definately not least I really want Owen Marecic FB Stanford 6'1 245lbs. I think he could be a HUGE HUGE HUGE help to this team, not only as a player but as an on the field coach. He played offense AND defense last year for Harbaugh so he knows both...... he could help teach our key guys (Gore,VD,Willis,TKO) this offense and defense. Not to mention we need to get younger and better at our FB position and he could become our next Michael Robinson on Special Teams.... Those are really the 4(5) guys I want us to take. Not to mention a big/physical WR, a speedy (big play) back and a DT (b/c I don't believe Franklin will be back)!! There's my dream mock draft guys.... Any thoughts???????

prince isnt a shutdown corner he is a playmaker hell get the it but will allow his wr to catch the ball occasionaly where pp is a shutdown corner
Robert Quinn...best case scenario imo. That way we won't have the choice but upgrade our pass rush instead of taking a corner who may be converted to safety.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

prince isnt a shutdown corner he is a playmaker hell get the it but will allow his wr to catch the ball occasionaly where pp is a shutdown corner

What I've read is that PP may be changed to Safety b/c he plays a little stiff. Where Prince will play more open. Prince just has to answer the questions about his speed and how does he go about doing that?? By going to the combine and participating in every drill. I love the confidence he has to do that. Basically saying here you go, in front of everyone. Not just the people that shows up at my pro day. I'll show the whole nation I'm a top CB. I'm not gonna lie i watched Prince play a lot this year and he impressed me just as much as Peterson did. Now me being a Gators fan I would normally say... But the SEC is top flight competition every week... however as a whole the SEC was down (I don't think ANYONE, even Auburn fans thought they'd win out to become champion... ) this year. So the difference between SEC offenses and BIG 12 offenses wasn't that big of a drop. At least that's what I noticed.
Share 49ersWebzone