LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 294 users in the forums

WORSE case scenario for the 49ers this draft.....

Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
We draft Quinn or Dareus then....

Either way I think we are in a good spot because even if no QBs are taken we get one of these players:

Fairley
Bowers
Dareus
Green
Miller
Quinn
Amukamara
Peterson

Add in a QB or two and we have an option of 3 or 4 of those guys. If not we have an option of 2. Win/win as long as we don't reach on a QB.

This... except for me not wanting Miller. I have Quinn and Dareus higher than some on that list, so I sure can think of a less favorable outcome than the OP.

this i wouldnt be mad if we got miller(exceot if we took him over peterson) but id rather have every1 else on that list
Originally posted by valrod33:
Worse case scenario is we draft Cam Newton

definitely this too!
Originally posted by joeymac49s:
I agree a good player will be there at 7 i'm just afraid it's a player we're going to reach on. However, I feel pretty good with Harbaugh/Ballke at the helm however i'd like some options... I'm not sold on Quinn at all Mike Williams and Maurice Clarett had to sit out of football a year before being drafted, how did those two make out?? Not to mention the last D-linemen we took from North Carolina who was suppose to be a "beast" didn't turn out so well for us. (Kentwan Balmer) So excuse me if i'm a little hesitant to jump on his band wagon. That really only leaves Dareus left for us. Not that he's not a good player. Like I said, I would just like a little variety. We definately are in the perfect place. Hopefully someone falls in love w/ Quinn or Darius b/c I honestly would like to move down at that point and take an Akeem Ayers or Cameron Jordan and get some extra picks.

I either do not understand your draft logic or if I am understanding it, I do not agree. Balmer was a late bloomer and a 1 hit wonder in college. It is unfair/unwise to pigeonhole DL from UNC because he could very well have a career like Julius Peppers.

Also, I do not understand your stance on Dareus. You do not like him because of variety? I think he would be a beast as a 3-4 end. He would be a huge upgrade.

It sounds like you have already decided you want to trade down. I am not against this but there will be a great prospect at 7. Unless there are multiple players we are targeting who are available and equal in value, we need to stay put.

Worst case scenario IMO - Quinn, Miller, Dareus
Best case - Peterson, Green, etc
We will get a great player no matter what.
I'm feeling that Marcell Dareus could play a monstrous NT or LE. That raises his value in my eyes, as we could use that kind of versatility. Truth told, he is in my top 3 of my most wanted prospects at the top.
I don't see how thats that bad. We get Robert Quinn...
I'm feeling that Marcell Dareus could play a monstrous NT or LE. That raises his value in my eyes, as we could use that kind of versatility. Truth told, he is in my top 3 of my most wanted prospects at the top.

Exactly. This guy is a BEAST and a top 3 talent in my opinion.

isnt he to small to play NT but i know hell make an excellent DE
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Dareus is roughly 6' 2" and change and weighs 305-310 pounds. For comparison, Franklin is 6' 1" and change and weighs 305-310 pounds. Ricky Jean-Francois is also 6' 2" and change and 310 pounds.

This is the type of 3-4 NT we like to use... before and after Vic Fangio. Dareus has both the anchor and the pass rush abilities to be what we need at NT... IMHO.
This is why everyone loves the draft, it is so unpredictable with or without Al Davis. There is always someone in the top 10 picks that will make people go - oh snap, damn and either leave you all giddy or mad as hell.

I think Dareus will get drafted before us and Cam will make someone fall in love with him, simply because of his size, and his athletic ability, unless he does a crabtree, entourage with father saying or doing something to f it up. Here is to hoping Gabbert climbs back up the ladder, as these will give us better options at 7.

Really not high on Quinn, one hit wonder and out of football for a year, plus the last UNC player, Kentwan, was no joy for us.
The worst case scenario, is actually the best scenario to trade back. There are 9 teams that will want a franchise QB and at least one of them will like to take a shot at Cam Newton. The Titans are likely to take Newton at #8, so the following teams could be eager to move in front of the Titans:
10) Redskins gives us a 3rd
12) Vikings gives us a 2nd and we give them a 4th
16) Jaguars gives us a 2nd
17) Oakland gives us a 2nd and a 4th

Marcell Dareus might be a beast, but the DL talent is very good for the first 12 linemen taken off the board. So there wouldn't be much fall off from Dareus to JJ Watt who according to MadDog should still be on the board at #13.

With the two 2nds, you could get 2 very good CBs. Or, combine them and go after Akeem Ayers OLB in the bottom of the first.

Either of these scenarios would improve our pass defense.

Now if the worst case scenario doesn't happen, than take a top rush OLB or CB.

Dareus is roughly 6' 2" and change and weighs 305-310 pounds. For comparison, Franklin is 6' 1" and change and weighs 305-310 pounds. Ricky Jean-Francois is also 6' 2" and change and 310 pounds.

This is the type of 3-4 NT we like to use... before and after Vic Fangio. Dareus has both the anchor and the pass rush abilities to be what we need at NT... IMHO.

Couple of comments:

1. Franklin is closer to 330 lbs.

2. Dareus is very lean for 300 lbs. He is very solidly built and has a lot of power. He will be a load wherever he lines up. He gives the def a lot of versatility and I have no problem picking him over either of the rush LBs. We do not go wrong with any of them.
Originally posted by rayn36:

Couple of comments:

2. Dareus is very lean for 300 lbs. He is very solidly built and has a lot of power. He will be a load wherever he lines up. He gives the def a lot of versatility and I have no problem picking him over either of the rush LBs. We do not go wrong with any of them.

Not being snotty as I say this, but:

1. No. Franklin got down to the playing weight of 305-310 lbs, according to numerous prior articles.

2. No. Dareus is quite stocky of build. Lean is not a word I'd use to describe him in the least.
As long as we stop trying draft to convert players to something else and let them play their natural position, or let them play the old Walsh hybrid position of elephant which Haley and b-4 that Dean played. Stop trying to make them linebackers that have to cover.
Originally posted by rayn36:

Couple of comments:

Not being snotty as I say this, but:

1. No. Franklin got down to the playing weight of 305-310 lbs, according to numerous prior articles.

2. No. Dareus is quite stocky of build. Lean is not a word I'd use to describe him in the least.

If that is the case, Franklin is a very heavy looking 310 lb-er. And when I describe Dareus as lean, I mean that relative to other 300 pounders. He does not have much of a gut and seems to have a lower body fat % relative to other DTs. But I am basing this on the eyeball test.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
i'd trade down a bit and draft Kerrigan of Purdue..
Share 49ersWebzone