There are 156 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

WORSE case scenario for the 49ers this draft.....

I mentioned in another post that the website www.NewNFLDraft.com has us taking Cameron Newton at the #7 pick. Another thing that website does is it lays out what our worse case scenario would be during the draft. Not to mention it could be a very real scenario.... That website has the draft going like this...

Carolina- Nick Fairley
Denver- Patrick Peterson
Buffalo Bills- Da'Quan Bowers
Cincinnati Bengals- A.J. Green
Arizona Cardinals- Von Miller
Cleveland Browns- Prince Amukamara (not sure this is a huge need since they drafted Joe Haden last year and their seconday was one of their strengths)

That's the top 3 players overall IMO... Fairley,Bowers and Green plus our top 3 in Peterson, Prince and Miller...
What do we do in the very possible scenario that this happens?? I believe we have to give a serious look at Marcell Dareus DT Alabama 6'3 307lbs. I belive he's one of the only other players worthy of drafting that high. We could always take a look at the QBs in this situaton but I'm not sold on any of them. I know A LOT of ppl. are going to say Robert Quinn here but I honestly don't think we can spend the money on him a #7 draftee would receive. Don't get me wrong he's a hell of an athlete and could turn out to be a great player but right now at #7 he has too many question marks. 1. He has off the field issues and 2. He hasn't played organized football in over a year. I just think when you weight the good vs. the bad right now the bad wins. I think our best bet if we don't take Dareus is to trade back, pick up an extra pick or two and draft Cameron Jordan DE/DT Cal 6'4 287. A little on the light side but he's more of an OLB/Pass Rusher then he is DT. Either him or Jimmy Smith but the depends how far back in the draft we go. What's everyone else's thoughts??
[ Edited by joeymac49s on Feb 17, 2011 at 12:37 AM ]
I would draft Robert Quinn, drafting Cam Newton would be the WORST case scenario for me. That would ruin the entire draft for me, thankfully Harbaugh is our coach and would not do such an idiotic thing...I hope.

Quinn would give us more talent in our pass rush which we need so badly. A solid CB could slide to us in the 2nd. If not then we try to add a CB that can start via FA, if there is one

This CBA screws the whole offseason up!
Originally posted by irishluder:
I would draft Robert Quinn, drafting Cam Newton would be the WORST case scenario for me. That would ruin the entire draft for me, thankfully Harbaugh is our coach and would not do such an idiotic thing...I hope.

Quinn would give us more talent in our pass rush which we need so badly. A solid CB could slide to us in the 2nd. If not then we try to add a CB that can start via FA, if there is one

This CBA screws the whole offseason up!

Well, you got everything in this post. lol I agree with one thing, I disagree with one thing and I disagree and agree on the 3rd thing.
I definately agree that this CBA is screwing everything up b/c there would be a CB out there in FA. Asomugha would be out there for us.
I disagree on the Quinn comment for the reason's stated above and honestly I'm not 100% sure Quinn is better then Cameron Jordan not to mention we could add extra draft picks if we went the Jordan route. If you watched any of the Senior Bowl practices or the game you would have noticed 2 things. Cameron Jordan was a man amongst boys, he was dominating top level players and the other thing was Christian Ponder should be the next 49ers QB b/c he tore it up and again, it was against top level competition.
As for the 3rd thing I'm torn on. You said worse case scenario would be if we drafted Cam Newton, I don't think that would be worse case scenario b/c like you said Harbaugh isn't an idiot especially when it comes to QB's. I think we can both definately agree that Newton has the most upside and is an absolute freak of an athlete so if Harbaugh saw something in him that he honestly believed he could turn into a Philadelphia Season 2 Mike Vick. Well then I think I would be pretty excited b/c I trust Harbaugh when it comes to QB's. However, with that being said as of today I DON'T believe Newton is our future QB and as of right now I also don't want him as our QB. Hence why I agree and disagree all at the same time with that comment...
[ Edited by joeymac49s on Feb 17, 2011 at 10:31 AM ]
I'd take Quinn and wouldn't even be mad.

His off the field issues are minor. He hasn't been arrested for any crimes but all he's done is what 75% of all major college athletes do and that is take an illegal bribe but the difference is he got caught.

Hm not playing ball for a year doesn't really scare me either. It's not like he forgot how to play and I'm sure he has stayed in shape. We will know further at the combine.
quinn and id be happy with that if we picked 8 and quin went 7th then we would have a problem were picking in the perfect place
You worry to much. A very good player will be there at 7
We draft Quinn or Dareus then....

Either way I think we are in a good spot because even if no QBs are taken we get one of these players:

Fairley
Bowers
Dareus
Green
Miller
Quinn
Amukamara
Peterson

Add in a QB or two and we have an option of 3 or 4 of those guys. If not we have an option of 2. Win/win as long as we don't reach on a QB.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Feb 17, 2011 at 5:49 AM ]
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

yes but quinn and dareus should be awesome consolation prizes....we dont want them to be the only people on the board

id rather have the choice to choose them over someone if we want....we need atleast 1 of miller, peterson and prince to be there
Originally posted by TalkinBoutWILLIS:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

yes but quinn and dareus should be awesome consolation prizes....we dont want them to be the only people on the board

id rather have the choice to choose them over someone if we want....we need atleast 1 of miller, peterson and prince to be there

I think Dareus is probably a better player than Quinn and Amukamara but it isn't as big of a need. I agree... I would be fine with Dareus or Quinn. Dareus is probably the safest pick but Quinn has a lot of potential.
Trade back for Kerrigan
I'd grab Quinn
This draft will go a long way to determining if Baalke is any good. This will be his first draft w/o Singletary, Scotty, Nolan influences.. Moving up 2 slots (to #12) last year smells like a Singletary driven move. That move cost them a 4th rounder. Most draft experts agree that they didn't have to make that move, that Davis would have been there at #14..

The game here is chess, not checkers.

A good GM with the 7th Pick will have stacked the board and played out every scenario in advance, before draft day. No doubt, the 49ers will have their eye on 2 - 3 players that they expect will be available when #7 rolls around.

The cost to move up 3 or 4 spots would be huge, more than I would want to give up, but I am not the GM.. Maybe Baalke will move up, but I doubt it.

I expect him to be patient, not act like an amatuer GM or worse like Singletary, and take the best player at #7..

We will get a very good player at #7..
[ Edited by DaveWilcox on Feb 17, 2011 at 8:47 AM ]
I agree a good player will be there at 7 i'm just afraid it's a player we're going to reach on. However, I feel pretty good with Harbaugh/Ballke at the helm however i'd like some options... I'm not sold on Quinn at all Mike Williams and Maurice Clarett had to sit out of football a year before being drafted, how did those two make out?? Not to mention the last D-linemen we took from North Carolina who was suppose to be a "beast" didn't turn out so well for us. (Kentwan Balmer) So excuse me if i'm a little hesitant to jump on his band wagon. That really only leaves Dareus left for us. Not that he's not a good player. Like I said, I would just like a little variety. We definately are in the perfect place. Hopefully someone falls in love w/ Quinn or Darius b/c I honestly would like to move down at that point and take an Akeem Ayers or Cameron Jordan and get some extra picks.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
We draft Quinn or Dareus then....

Either way I think we are in a good spot because even if no QBs are taken we get one of these players:

Fairley
Bowers
Dareus
Green
Miller
Quinn
Amukamara
Peterson

Add in a QB or two and we have an option of 3 or 4 of those guys. If not we have an option of 2. Win/win as long as we don't reach on a QB.

This... except for me not wanting Miller. I have Quinn and Dareus higher than some on that list, so I sure can think of a less favorable outcome than the OP.
Worse case scenario is we draft Cam Newton