LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

Will Baalke leap frog Arizona this year?

Will Baalke leap frog Arizona this year?

I hope not. It would cost too much. I would much rather that they packaged up some of the extra 4th and 5th rounders and added another early 2nd rounder.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
If they feel there is a player they have to have - they should. Draft picks are over-rated. How many 2nd, 3rd, 4th round picks have we hit on last few years?

Quality >>> Quantity
  • sfout
  • Veteran
It depends on who it is for, say we want Blaine Gabbert, Cam Newton for QB or on the other side of the ball Von Miller or Robert Quinn(if Miller was picked in say the top 3). Then yes we will because the Cards will take either of them if they are there. They aren't too needy of a CB so they would probably let Peterson or Amukamara slide by them. It really just depends on our plan, if Harbaugh/Baalke want Gabbert or Newton they'll do whatever they have to do to get them but if we are focused on taking the best OLB/CB available then it becomes less likely we will send talent or picks to another team just to move up 3 spots. Quinn, Miller, Smith, Peterson, Amukamara, and Smith are the top 3 for OLBs and CBs respectably. At 7 we will still be picking from at least 4 of the 6 players I just listed so I am much more inclined to say no we will not trade up unless it is for the QB that we want. It is still way to early to discuss, we should revisit this after the combine when we have a more finite knowledge of players skills and where they will probably be picked at.
[ Edited by sfout on Feb 17, 2011 at 7:31 AM ]
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Cam Newton!? I know his stock is rising but top 5 rising, you know not all GM's listen to Kiper's and Mcshay's mock draft.

That's not my premise. The premise is that he has elite tools, elite. Now, it where GMs place those tools and at what maturity. Again, I said IF he proves that he's their kind of franchise QB, he will be taken top five because of the uncertainty of the CBA coupled with the overvaluation of QBs AND Cam's elite tools like Big Ben when he came out.

Not saying I agree. Just sayin' he will project top five. Buffalo truly looks like the place where he can learn while a Vet takes the reigns while he learns.

I have seen QBs rise and fall since I really paid attention from 2004 with the Rivers Manning and Big Ben drafts. I see Newton rising like Sanchez and he's has more tools to work with. QBs are premium and Newton is no different.

Just sayin...

So I guess what Im saying is that if he's an Elite Big Ben, rising star like Sanchez, and with that can start from day one........we should take him at #7?
If we want Miller we may have to.
  • mike
  • Veteran
I'm fine with miller or peterson, so I'd rather just hope one of them falls into our laps.

If newton's stock rises, harbaugh thinks he's "the guy", and Arizona wants him, then sure spend whatever it takes to get Harbaugh his man.

But otherwise...There are good defensive players in this top 10 and a really talented one is going to fall to us.
There will be someone worth picking available at 7, so no. Either Green, Peterson, Quinn or Miller will be there. Any of those would be good picks.
Originally posted by gravelburn:
There will be someone worth picking available at 7, so no. Either Green, Peterson, Quinn or Miller will be there. Any of those would be good picks.

Don't forget Dareus
  • ACUK
  • Veteran
I hope not, I would rather sit and wait and see whos available at 7, theres plenty of talent, no need to jump up this year.
Only for a QB that they think Arizona will snatch up.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Mad, what QB you think they'd be targeting?
[ Edited by mayo49 on Feb 20, 2011 at 6:46 AM ]

I agree although I think it's unlikely. I don't see them giving up that much for any other position. Just guessing I'd say they would have fallen in love with Gabbert or Newton.
if they do it has to be for peterson or green
Originally posted by dhp318:
I think we only trade up for Cam Newton.
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Originally posted by mayo49:

Mad, what QB you think they'd be targeting?

Gabbert or Newton. Those are the top two QB's in this draft. It really comes down to who Harbaugh really likes and thinks he can develop.
Share 49ersWebzone