There are 55 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2nd Rd. pick is shaping up to be our most important draft pick...

After going thru about a million mock drafts already and evaluating all the prospects I've come to the conclusion our 2nd Rd pick is going to be VERY important to our team. I believe in the 1st rd. we're going to take (hopefully in this order) Peterson, Prince, Von Miller, Cameron Jordan. With anyone of those 4 players our draft is starting out as a huge success. While trying to evaluate our 2nd rd. pick i've noticed a logjam of talent we could use on our team. Now i'll admit, in my 1st mock draft of the year I had us taking Moffitt as our 2nd rd. pick. Although I do belive he is going to be a pro-bowl type guard at the NFL level I do agree that taking a guard that high is unnecessary. Now, with that being said here are the 4-5 players I have that we should "target" in the 2nd rd. let me know what you think....

Pick #45 San Francisco 49ers select... (in no paticular order)

Phil Taylor DT Baylor 6-4/340 (Not a prototypical Harbaugh DT however he is a house in the middle. He will easily occupy 2 blockers which will free up our LB's to make plays, and is a great run stuffer. He has had some off the field issues, been suspened a full year after a fight at Penn State which is why he could fall this far. CBS has him as a 1-2 rd projection.)

Marvin Austin DT North Carolina 6-2/310 (A prototypical Harbaugh DT, 30 lbs. lighter then Taylor however is VERY athletic. He is easily a top 20 talent when you look at his on the field work. However, like Taylor he was suspended a year (last year). He hasn't played organized football in over a year but he could be a steal at this spot. The reason I have 2-DT's on this list so far is b/c I don't see us tagging Franklin and I belive he could be playing elsewhere next year. I know Ricky Jean has stepped up his game however I would feel much more comfortable with one of these two rotating with him and I believe both have the talent to be rotating full time with him by mid-season. CBS has his as a 2-3 rd. projection but it also says, "If Austin isn't selected in the first round of the 2011 NFL Draft, he only has himself to blame.")

Bruce Carter OLB North Carolina 6-3/235 (This could very well be our pick if we go Peterson or Prince in Rd 1. He was injured in 2010 however he was one of the top OLB's coming into this season. He is VERY athletic and could be our pass rushing OLB with a little help but honestly he does it all. CBS has him rated as a 2nd rd. talent)

My next 2 options are VERY interesting to me...

Christian Ponder QB Florida St 6'3 228 lbs. (This is the QB I want to be our future. I originally had us taking him in the 3rd rd. which I would still LOVE to do, however I believe after the week he had at the Senior Bowl. It opened a lot of ppl's eyes to him. He is very intelligent, very athletic, very accurate, "prototypical QB size" (I hate that saying) and is coming from a pro-style offense. This is EXACTLY what I want out of the QB we draft for the future. The only thing I DONT like about him is how good he was at the Senior Bowl. CBS now has him rated as a 2nd rd. prospect b/c of that showing. If Harbaugh sees in him what I see in him (and more importantly doesn't see it in any other QB) we may have to take him here.

And last but not least I have a sleeper... not necessilary a need however I believe we have to at least look at him and see what we think about him.

DeMarco Murray RB Oklahoma 6-1/207 (I know we don't need a RB but in reality we are probably closer to needing a RB then most ppl would like to admit. Westbrook most likely wont be back so we have Gore who is our all around starting RB, we have Dixon who is our big RB and Murray could be our 4.4 speed RB (4.37 is his personal best). The thing about Murray is he isn't JUST a speed back, he has great hands coming out of the backfield and can run inside just as well as he runs outside. I think taking him does 2 things for our team we need. 1. It will prolong Gore's career b/c he will have someone to share the load with who is more of an all around back like he is (that Dixon isn't). and 2. Murray could be an absolute BEAST in the WCO especially after sitting behind Gore for a few years and learning. The tandem of Murray and Dixon could be a force to recon with and Murray could become the next great 49er RB. CBS has him as a 2-3rd Rd. prospect. If we could steal him in the 3rd rd that could be huge. Also, the same rd Gore came to us in.)

I know this is a lot of reading but once I get on a roll about the 49ers I can just keep going... Everyone let me know what you think. Once again i'm not an "expert" so please be easy on me. GO NINERS!!!

[ Edited by joeymac49s on Feb 13, 2011 at 20:21:42 ]
Taylor would be great in the 2nd, I am beginning to think he won't last to #45. Too many teams running a 3-4 need space eating NTs
i'd be surprised if we don't use our second pic on a QB.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

It seems more QBs are going to be availible in lower rounds with the top prospects dropping such has Gabbert and Locker has fallen immensely. The only one I could see in the 1st round currently is Newton. Gabbert and Mallett will be high 2nd Rounders.
I would love all of those picks in the 2nd except for Carter. He doesn't fit our defense, he's not a pass rusher. The rest of the players are sick. Ponder could be our guy possibly. I'm not sure Austin or Taylor will last that long, but either of them could be our NT of the future. I'm really high on Murray, he reminds me of Ricky Watters.
Great job joeymac! Very interesting prospects for sure!

or trade it for Kevin Kolb.
I believe we must draft Ponder if he's available at 45. Does anyone have a list of the teams that run a WCO who are in need of a QB. We should be wary of trading up by those teams. All the other guys you have listed would be solid additions as well. Nice post.

[ Edited by 9erguy on Feb 13, 2011 at 21:49:21 ]
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

or trade it for Kevin Kolb.

the Eagles would be losing return on their investment in him. I dont see them budging unless a 1st rounder is involved. Just my opinion.

Maybe they would take a 2nd and 4th. Although, not a huge backer of Kolb, he would be a major upgrade and tough to pass up for that.

Just have a hunch on Ponder, like many others on this forum..I think he would be a good fit.

[ Edited by 9erguy on Feb 13, 2011 at 22:05:46 ]
  • Elric
  • Veteran
The only way we get Phil Taylor is if we trade back and then move up in the 2nd round.

Trading back to make Phil Taylor our 1st pick is a possibility giving us extra picks for this years draft as well as next years.

We could secure Luck with the extra picks.

I like this idea
I would be soooo pi$$ed if we took a running back in the second round.
Originally posted by joeymac49s:
After going thru about a million mock drafts already and evaluating all the prospects I've come to the conclusion our 2nd Rd pick is going to be VERY important to our team. I believe in the 1st rd. we're going to take (hopefully in this order) Peterson, Prince, Von Miller, Cameron Jordan. With anyone of those 4 players our draft is starting out as a huge success. While trying to evaluate our 2nd rd. pick i've noticed a logjam of talent we could use on our team. Now i'll admit, in my 1st mock draft of the year I had us taking Moffitt as our 2nd rd. pick. Although I do belive he is going to be a pro-bowl type guard at the NFL level I do agree that taking a guard that high is unnecessary. Now, with that being said here are the 4-5 players I have that we should "target" in the 2nd rd. let me know what you think....

Pick #45 San Francisco 49ers select... (in no paticular order)

Phil Taylor DT Baylor 6-4/340 (Not a prototypical Harbaugh DT however he is a house in the middle. He will easily occupy 2 blockers which will free up our LB's to make plays, and is a great run stuffer. He has had some off the field issues, been suspened a full year after a fight at Penn State which is why he could fall this far. CBS has him as a 1-2 rd projection.)

Marvin Austin DT North Carolina 6-2/310 (A prototypical Harbaugh DT, 30 lbs. lighter then Taylor however is VERY athletic. He is easily a top 20 talent when you look at his on the field work. However, like Taylor he was suspended a year (last year). He hasn't played organized football in over a year but he could be a steal at this spot. The reason I have 2-DT's on this list so far is b/c I don't see us tagging Franklin and I belive he could be playing elsewhere next year. I know Ricky Jean has stepped up his game however I would feel much more comfortable with one of these two rotating with him and I believe both have the talent to be rotating full time with him by mid-season. CBS has his as a 2-3 rd. projection but it also says, "If Austin isn't selected in the first round of the 2011 NFL Draft, he only has himself to blame.")

Bruce Carter OLB North Carolina 6-3/235 (This could very well be our pick if we go Peterson or Prince in Rd 1. He was injured in 2010 however he was one of the top OLB's coming into this season. He is VERY athletic and could be our pass rushing OLB with a little help but honestly he does it all. CBS has him rated as a 2nd rd. talent)

My next 2 options are VERY interesting to me...

Christian Ponder QB Florida St 6'3 228 lbs. (This is the QB I want to be our future. I originally had us taking him in the 3rd rd. which I would still LOVE to do, however I believe after the week he had at the Senior Bowl. It opened a lot of ppl's eyes to him. He is very intelligent, very athletic, very accurate, "prototypical QB size" (I hate that saying) and is coming from a pro-style offense. This is EXACTLY what I want out of the QB we draft for the future. The only thing I DONT like about him is how good he was at the Senior Bowl. CBS now has him rated as a 2nd rd. prospect b/c of that showing. If Harbaugh sees in him what I see in him (and more importantly doesn't see it in any other QB) we may have to take him here.

And last but not least I have a sleeper... not necessilary a need however I believe we have to at least look at him and see what we think about him.

DeMarco Murray RB Oklahoma 6-1/207 (I know we don't need a RB but in reality we are probably closer to needing a RB then most ppl would like to admit. Westbrook most likely wont be back so we have Gore who is our all around starting RB, we have Dixon who is our big RB and Murray could be our 4.4 speed RB (4.37 is his personal best). The thing about Murray is he isn't JUST a speed back, he has great hands coming out of the backfield and can run inside just as well as he runs outside. I think taking him does 2 things for our team we need. 1. It will prolong Gore's career b/c he will have someone to share the load with who is more of an all around back like he is (that Dixon isn't). and 2. Murray could be an absolute BEAST in the WCO especially after sitting behind Gore for a few years and learning. The tandem of Murray and Dixon could be a force to recon with and Murray could become the next great 49er RB. CBS has him as a 2-3rd Rd. prospect. If we could steal him in the 3rd rd that could be huge. Also, the same rd Gore came to us in.)

I know this is a lot of reading but once I get on a roll about the 49ers I can just keep going... Everyone let me know what you think. Once again i'm not an "expert" so please be easy on me. GO NINERS!!!

I agree the 2nd rounder will be the most important. The #7 pick will absolutely be a star player at a need position. It would be great if we could secure another nice player at a need position.

I really hope we can lock up Franklin to a 2-4 year deal so that we don't need to draft a NT high. Our run D and DL are the strength of our team and I want that unit kept together so we can focus elsewhere. If we can't keep AF I like your options especially Austin he is very good.

It all depends if we go CB or OLB in the 1st round. I firmly believe that will be dictated by who we get in FA, I'm of the belief we will make a splash in FA and get a vet QB and either a shutdown CB or a legit passrushing OLB.(I also believe the CBA will be worked out with at least a couple weeks of FA prior to the draft.)

Ideal scenerio IMO is after round 1 the 49ers have secured either via FA/trade or with pick #7 A) vet QB, legit shutdown CB, legit passrushing OLB. Then with our 2nd round pick we can go after a young QB to develope or we can address another need like RG or double up on DBs/passrusher.
I'd be happy with any of the top 3, I don't want Murray or Ponder though
Originally posted by tohara3:
Great job joeymac! Very interesting prospects for sure!

Thank you very much!! It's nice to have a post people actually find helpful, then actually take the time to say it.
Ideal scenerio IMO is after round 1 the 49ers have secured either via FA/trade or with pick #7 A) vet QB, legit shutdown CB, legit passrushing OLB. Then with our 2nd round pick we can go after a young QB to develope or we can address another need like RG or double up on DBs/passrusher.
This scenario would be borderline devine... and not Noel. I've said all along I believe Peterson and Prince are going to turn into Revis-like shut down corners. Peterson is almost a lock, Prince if he can show his speed is in line with the top notch CB's will be there also, I find it hard to pass on a player who could turn into a top 5 player at his position. I understand 100% what you mean by if we get a OLB in FA then we draft a CB or visa versa but for me my IDEAL situation would be this... Sign Asomugha and McNabb, draft Peterson or Prince (that solidifies our secondary for the next 3-5 years w/ Asomugha, Mays, Dashon (or someone from the log jam we have a safety right now) and Prince. In 2-3 years that will be the best secondary in the business. Now if we go that route I say at #2 we go Ponder only b/c I honestly believe he is going to be a great WCO offense QB and to have him sit behind McNabb for 2-3 years who is a master of that system would be HUGE. I hate to say it but similiar to Rodgers sitting behind the master Favre for a few years. I honestly believe there are pass rushers that could be had later in the draft that could come in an help from the start. Now, the biggest wrench in the whole thing is say everything goes our way, we get our 2 FA's, we draft Peterson and Ponder then come 3rd Rd. Murray is still sitting there... I really like what that kid can become with the right work ethic and the right squad around him. I hate to say it but even AP-like. I just realized I said our 1st rd pick was going to be Revis-like, our 2nd rd pick was going to be our next great qb and our 3rd rd pick was going to be AP-like... can you tell i'm one of those guys that once the seasons over believes next year is the year his team is gonna do it... Not sure anyone's draft can turn out that good but if it happens to anyone, I pray it's the 49ers!!