Resign -

David Baas - OG/C
Tony Wragge - OG/C

Ray McDonald - DT/DE
Takeo Spikes - ILB

Nate Clements - CB (restructure)
Travis La Boy - DE/OLB

NFL Draft -

Washington trades 2011 1st and 2nd round picks to 49ers for their 1st and 4th round draft picks. Redskins trade up to select Gabbert, and overpays to beat out the Titans and Vikings.

New England trades 2nd round pick (f/ Panthers) to 49ers for their 2nd, 4th, and 6th round draft picks.

R1: Prince Amukamara - CB - Nebraska (f. Redskins)
*If Miller is off the board, then trading back makes the most sense. Amukamara bolsters our secondary and adds competition for Nate Clements.

R2: Phillip Taylor - NT - Baylor (f. Patriots via Panthers)
*Patriots selected Ron Brance and already have Wilfork as their starting NT. With 2 first round picks, I think the Patriots look to trade down. Taylor has potential to be the next Raji, and we need a long-term replacement for Franklin. 2-Gap 3-4 D here we come.

R2: Jabaal Sheard - DE/OLB - Pittsburgh (f. Redskins)
*If available, Sheard is a good, not great 3-4 OLB prospect. He does make plays in the backfield and is a solid tackler.

R3: Andy Dalton - QB - TCU
*A developmental prospect at the QB position, Dalton has the intangibles to succeed in Harbaugh's offense.

R5: Ryan Whalen - WR - Stanford
*If you look at teams like the Packers and Steelers, they have dependable WRs with little household names. The fact that he knows Harbaugh's offense helps his cause.

R6: Da'Rel Scott - RB - Maryland (f. Seahawks)
*I've had Scott in mock drafts previously. He could go anywhere from Round 5 to an undrafted free agent. He's got great speed, good hands, but he has had injury concerns. Could he be another late round gem for us?

R7: DeMarcus Van Dyke - CB - Miami (f. Lions)
*Competes with Phillip Adams for the last CB position on the depth chart. Otherwise, Dyke gets placed on the practice squad.

R7: Chase Beeler - C - Stanford
*Lacks ideal size, which drops him to this area.

- New CBA is signed -

Trade -

2012 and 2013 2nd round picks to the Eagles for Kevin Kolb - QB.

Free Agency -

Kamerion Wimbley - DE/OLB - Raiders (High)
*Kind of the opposite of Manny Lawson, Wimbley excels at pass rushing, but needs to improve his coverage ability. The fact that he can rush the passer is the reason why we pay him the bank.

Champ Bailey - CB/FS - Broncos (High)
*Our new DB coach can help recruit Bailey as our new free saftey. Screw Goldson, that was a McCloughan pick.

Lawrence Vickers - FB - Browns (Med)
*One of the most underrated FBs on the market, Vickers is a complete player, but fits perfectly in our power rushing West Coast Offense.

Matt Moore - QB - Panthers (Low)
*Moore had a horrible 2010 season, and looks to be on the out in Carolina. He has shown flashes, but Moore is brought in strictly for a backup role. Much greater potential than Carr at this point.

Gabe Watson - NT - Cardinals (Low)
*Watson has been a bust so far in his career, but sometimes these guys take time to develop. He competes with rookie Taylor for the starting NT spot, along with RJF.

Cut -

Moran Norris - FB
David Carr - QB
Parys Haralson - DE/OLB

Depth Chart -

QB: Kolb*/Moore*/Dalton*
RB: Gore/Dixon/Scott*
FB: Vickers*
TE: Davis/Walker/Byham

WR: Crabtree/Ginn
WR: Morgan/Williams
WR: Whalen*

LT: Staley/Boone
LG: Iupati/Wragge
OC: Baas/Beeler*
RG: Heitmann/Rachal
RT: Davis/Snyder

LE: Smith/McDonald
NT: Taylor*/Watson*
RE: Sopoaga/Jean-Francois

OLB: Wimbley*/La Boy
ILB: Willis/McKillop
ILB: Spikes/Bowman
OLB: Brooks/Sheard*/Gibson

CB: Clements/Amukamara*/Adams
CB: Spencer/Brown
FS: Bailey*/Spillman
SS: Smith/Mays

ST: Nedney, Lee, Jennings
Good job.
Like the draft, trades, and player explanations, but a little iffy about your FA pick-ups.

Love the Wimbley pick-up (has been playing 4-3 OLB for too long, especially since his PRush ability would be downright dangerous in the 3-4 OLB position) and the Watson pick-up (low risk, possible high reward), but not the biggest fan of the Vickers and Bailey pick-ups.

First, Vickers is a grind it out bruiser type FB, which is good, but in the WCO we need a FB who can not only block but play a role in the passing game, which Vickers doesn't appear to be.

Second, Bailey still thinks he can play CB and his ego won't allow for him to play FS for "FS money".

Overall, great job
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
Like the draft, trades, and player explanations, but a little iffy about your FA pick-ups.

Love the Wimbley pick-up (has been playing 4-3 OLB for too long, especially since his PRush ability would be downright dangerous in the 3-4 OLB position) and the Watson pick-up (low risk, possible high reward), but not the biggest fan of the Vickers and Bailey pick-ups.

First, Vickers is a grind it out bruiser type FB, which is good, but in the WCO we need a FB who can not only block but play a role in the passing game, which Vickers doesn't appear to be.

Second, Bailey still thinks he can play CB and his ego won't allow for him to play FS for "FS money".

Overall, great job

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

You are right about Vickers, but this is where Harbaugh can utilize Walker or Byham at the FB spot. Mix it up. You would at least agree that Vickers would be an upgrade to Norris.

In terms of Bailey, I remember reading an article that he is open to playing FS. Clements refused to play there though. So we will see I guess. Hell, Bailey would still be an upgrade if we cut Clements, too.
Originally posted by GEEK:

Overall, great job

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

You are right about Vickers, but this is where Harbaugh can utilize Walker or Byham at the FB spot. Mix it up. You would at least agree that Vickers would be an upgrade to Norris.

In terms of Bailey, I remember reading an article that he is open to playing FS. Clements refused to play there though. So we will see I guess. Hell, Bailey would still be an upgrade if we cut Clements, too.

With Vickers, I definitely agree he's an upgrade, but with Harbaugh's style, just don't see him fitting in (see either Havili or Mareicic getting drafted with Byhnam and Walker alternating). Don't get me wrong tho, I would love to have him, especially with Gore's running style would be perfect, but just dont see us getting him for the WCO reason alone.

As for Bailey, if he's okay with playing FS for "FS money", then I'd be okay with him, even with Nate still on the team. Just don't wanna overpay, but he's def more of a ballhawk than Goldson, and with Mays looking to play SS in the future, we'll need him to play center field and educate the rest of the secondary.

Still REALLY like the trades and draft picks, hope it ends up like this

I seriously don't understand why people keep on saying this. Marecic is a great college fullback and had all of 9 receptions in Harbaugh's offense last year.

Nice work Geek.

[ Edited by PopeyeJonesing on Feb 12, 2011 at 17:04:14 ]
Very very realistic. I see almost all the fa moves that you do and a nt and cb in the draft high. You may be right we will sign an olb and cb in fa as well as a qb and i see either kolb palmer or mcnabb.

Very good
Fa looks good but why in the world would the Pats need more picks? I dont see them trading down from 33, not this year.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Good job.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by elguapo:
Very very realistic. I see almost all the fa moves that you do and a nt and cb in the draft high. You may be right we will sign an olb and cb in fa as well as a qb and i see either kolb palmer or mcnabb.

Very good

Thanks

This mock is great. The skins trade seems most likely, but I think a qb is gonna fall right in their laps at 10. You are gonna have to give up a 1st rounder for Kolb. And with no CBA teams aren't allowed to trade players. And I'm not sure about the trade with the Patriots.

Free agency moves, and draft picks are perfect fits. I think if Prince is draft Spencer or Nate will hit the bench. Prince will be starting.
Share 49ersWebzone