There are 164 users in the forums

Blaine Gabbert stock down

• 9moon
  • Veteran
as i once mentioned, this guy heads the list of my overrated player this year..

tho he showed some promise last season, he got the bad advice to come out for the NFL..
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
To be replaced with Cam Newton at the top of the QB list

Yeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssss!!!!! Now can you imagine what harbaugh could do if he gets his hands on Cam Newton!! Cam had better stats against oregon than Luck had and oregon had a month to prepare for Cam Newton Check it!!!!!
Originally posted by owiseone:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
To be replaced with Cam Newton at the top of the QB list

Yeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssss!!!!! Now can you imagine what harbaugh could do if he gets his hands on Cam Newton!! Cam had better stats against oregon than Luck had and oregon had a month to prepare for Cam Newton Check it!!!!!

Andrew Luck>Cam Newton. dont even go there. Cam is legit but Luck is WAYYYYY better.
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by valrod33:
His name is stupid and is not the name of a successful QB

Most NFL QBs are named "Matt" so let's only invite QB's named "Matt" to the combine and let's see what they can do.

Concur. Most great men are named Matt.
Originally posted by 76Razor:

Most NFL QBs are named "Matt" so let's only invite QB's named "Matt" to the combine and let's see what they can do.

agreed

the book freakanomics talks about names and how they COULD possibly effect a person's life. so really, there is something to be said about a QB's first name.

goods:
john, joe, steve, jim, tom, dan, matt

bads:
akili, jamarcus, todd, heath, andre, todd...*cough cough* alex

exception would be peyton. i am sure there may be a couple more, but i am about to get a roast beef sammie and my thoughts are somewhat scattered.

Bond....James Bond......
Originally posted by Bee-Rows:

Not...Its William! As in William (Bill) Walsh!

matt leinart very successful nfl qb
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Quote:
REPORT: BLAINE GABBERT'S STOCK NOW SLIPPING
According to ESPN's Mel Kiper, Mizzou QB Blaine Gabbert's draft stock has begun "slipping" heading into the Scouting Combine.
According to Kiper, Gabbert's fall has occurred after NFL teams did "more film work" on the underclassman's junior year. It's true that Gabbert did not dominate his competition in 2010, throwing for 16 touchdowns compared to nine picks and averaging an unimpressive 6.71 yards per attempt. Gabbert was much better as a sophomore. The Combine starts on February 24.

Like I have been saying Gabbert is not NFL Ready or 1st rd worthy.

bro, I agree. I pointed out this before as well. The 6 yds per attempt shows this because any QB can throw that quick spread style out. It wont work in the NFL
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
This doesn't surprise me at all. Prior to him declaring, Gabbert was a second round prospect at best.

Then all of a sudden, once he declared, he became the "top QB in the class". Especially once Luck stayed in school.

I am always suspicious of players who for no reason (not even the Senior Bowl or Combine), suddenly shoot up draft boards.

They are likely to slip again just as quickly once the real analysis begins.

All that being said, if we could get Gabbert in the second, I think that would be a great pickup. But I don't understand how he suddenly became a top 5-10 pick, and don't think he should be drafted nearly that high.

Yeah, its almost as if a QB HAS to be in the Top 10 and somebody tossed a coin to decide between Gabbert and Newton. Neither of those guys is a Top 10 Prospect and in a year with some more legit prospects like Luck, those guys would be bottom of the first half of the 1st round guys.
Originally posted by 76Razor:

agreed

the book freakanomics talks about names and how they COULD possibly effect a person's life. so really, there is something to be said about a QB's first name.

goods:
john, joe, steve, jim, tom, dan, matt

bads:
akili, jamarcus, todd, heath, andre, todd...*cough cough* alex

exception would be peyton. i am sure there may be a couple more, but i am about to get a roast beef sammie and my thoughts are somewhat scattered.

Dan McGwire sure panned out. Same with Jim Drunkenmiller

This doesn't surprise me at all. Prior to him declaring, Gabbert was a second round prospect at best.

Then all of a sudden, once he declared, he became the "top QB in the class". Especially once Luck stayed in school.

I am always suspicious of players who for no reason (not even the Senior Bowl or Combine), suddenly shoot up draft boards.

All that being said, if we could get Gabbert in the second, I think that would be a great pickup. But I don't understand how he suddenly became a top 5-10 pick, and don't think he should be drafted nearly that high.

This.

During the season no one had Gabbert as a top college QB. Then someone looked at his size and put him in round 1.

The question I have is, Chase Daniel put up some great numbers at Mizz. Why didn't Gabbert? Did they change systems or something?

I don't know about your arm strength, but you have the prototypical name for an NFL QB, I say we bring you in and see what you got. And if you make the team, your inside access would get you the scoop every time.

When i watched him all i say was 6 yard crossing routes over and over again. didn't see any big time throws or him pushing the ball down the field. Not saying he can't do it but I haven't seen it. Mel and McShay should have a good argument over this b/c Mcshay loves Gabbert.

[ Edited by lamontb on Feb 14, 2011 at 08:37:48 ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by miked1978:

This.

During the season no one had Gabbert as a top college QB. Then someone looked at his size and put him in round 1.

The question I have is, Chase Daniel put up some great numbers at Mizz. Why didn't Gabbert? Did they change systems or something?

I guess 3" makes the difference between 1st round QB and an undrafted NFL backup.
I don't think he falls that far. Probably not past seattle
Share 49ersWebzone