There are 83 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why the Super Bowl should help us at pick #7

Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
the PAckers won b/c of thier 2 star CBs, thats why we need Amukamara

Umm you must have missed the fact that of those 2 corners did not even play in the 2nd half
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Umm you must have missed the fact that of those 2 corners did not even play in the 2nd half

technically they lost a CB and FS....right?
The Jets were one game out from the SB and they had two top shelf CBs. Ben still made the throws.
Originally posted by ace49ers:
The Jets were one game out from the SB and they had two top shelf CBs. Ben still made the throws.

no, they ran the ball...ben had like a 13 rating for that game
You're right, one game which the Steelers easily could have one means pass rushes aren't important. Man you're one smart dude.

I could not be more excited you're not running our franchise.
  • mike
  • Veteran

And look how many points the steelers racked up in the 2nd half vs the first after woodson went down. Clay matthews made a huge impression on me in that game too though. I'd honestly be happy with either one and ultimately addressing both at some point. Whichever has the deeper class, which at the moment seems to be LB's. If you've got a chance at a guy who's absolutely a shutdown type, go for it.
In the end, it may ultimately come down to what the Niners think about Nate Clements' contract situation. If they feel there is little to no chance that he will take a salary cut, and have to be released, this may force our hand to pick Prince.

The CBA struggle in 2011 could have a dynamic impact on the league for the next decade if it does not get resolved soon. Teams build their next year's roster through free agency first, then the draft. Going in reverse could make things very interesting, as teams attempt to speculate how things will shake out in free agency when the window finally opens.

By the way, I am impressed by Prince's comments this past week about the combine. He says he will do it all, and has nothing to hide. That confidence usually plays out to superb combine and campus workouts, if history repeats itself (Jake Long, Chris Long, Calvin Johnson, etc.). Got to love that confidence.
Your example to what not to do is a team that made the superbowl and lost by 1 possession? The 6-time SB winners Steelers? Yes, let's make sure to stay away from whatever they're doing.
Originally posted by mike:

And look how many points the steelers racked up in the 2nd half vs the first after woodson went down. Clay matthews made a huge impression on me in that game too though. I'd honestly be happy with either one and ultimately addressing both at some point. Whichever has the deeper class, which at the moment seems to be LB's. If you've got a chance at a guy who's absolutely a shutdown type, go for it.

Was it because they were without Woodson that the Steelers offense started to click or was it because they made some halftime adjustments to what the Packers were doing defensively ?
Obviously, we need both a gifted pass rusher and shutdown corner to help reinvigorate this franchise. Taking both in the first 3 rounds is a must, IMO. I think this is mostly the consensus on the webzone

With that being said, I would go with Von Miller at #7 over Prince(if Peterson is gone). Yes, being a Texas A&M grad makes me a little biased..but the guy is an absolute stud and is going to run a high 4.3-4.4 at the combine.

Another option (my favorite) is to trade back to the 15-25 range. Moving back in the first will most likely land us another 2nd round pick and give us an opportunity to fill the three biggest needs in the first two rounds.

Maybe something like this could go down...

trade #7 to one of several teams in need of a QB; its inevitable, IMO, one of those teams will want to move up to ensure the pick of a guy like Cam Newton.

1st round - Draft a guy like Aldon Smith -
Pros: Great pass rusher  Can play multiple possitions Nice speed and elusiveness Good container
Cons: Needs a bigger build Needs more expierence (redshirt sophmore)

Also, he is 21 yrs old and may be a good fit as an OLB in the 3-4.

2nd round, 1st pick - best CB available
2nd round, 2nd pick - Christian Ponder
3rd round - Jaquizz Rogers or Casey Matthews

Just a thought
I lean towards the pass rusher. No matter how good the CB is - if the QB has time to throw he'll eventually find someone open. The CB can'tt cover the receivers all day. The pass rush pressures the QB.

As for our draft - it all depends on FA. If we dump Nate the Skate and save $ then we could throw it at Asog. and draft a pass rusher.

I know - A lot of "If"s"
I'd take the pass rusher over CB. You can do a lot with an OLB and they help the secondary alot. CB's like nnamdi and revis are rare and they can only take out one Guy but if you face a team stacked offensively then you will still struggle.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I lean towards the pass rusher. No matter how good the CB is - if the QB has time to throw he'll eventually find someone open. The CB can'tt cover the receivers all day. The pass rush pressures the QB.

As for our draft - it all depends on FA. If we dump Nate the Skate and save $ then we could throw it at Asog. and draft a pass rusher.

I know - A lot of "If"s"

This time of year there are always a lot of "ifs".We project,guess and hope this time of year. This year however the CBA being up in the air, even the ifs are iffy. The draft is so dependant on FA.

Didnt they get hurt? I saw Woodson on the sidelines.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

Didnt they get hurt? I saw Woodson on the sidelines.

Which is why it was a close game in 2nd half vs 1st half

With Charles Woodson in they only had 3 points