LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 363 users in the forums

SF69ers' Post Senior Bowl, Pre Combine 49er Mock (1st of the Year)

Hello fellow zoners. I was thinking that maybe I shouldn't do a mock this year mainly because a lot of the mocks already posted have all the players that I have placed on my Niner board. However, it is slow at work today and in the Zone so I figured to post it anyways. Enjoy!

**Note: no free agent signings or trades mainly because of the uncertainty of the CBA.

1st Round: Robert Quinn DE/OLB
The 49ers are in great position here at the 7 spot. We can go a number of directions whether it be corner (Peterson or Prince although Peterson should be off the board), pass rushing linebacker, or a defensive end. I went with Robert Quinn with the pick. He's got great size, unbelievable instincts, speed and strength. He should be able to play all 3 downs for us on defense. Questions about his character will be magnified during the combine, but the kid made a mistake and is actually a very quiet young man that was raised well by his parents. Trading down for Ryan Kerrigan is also an option.

2nd Round: Jimmy Smith CB
The Jimmy Smith-hype train is moving along and some draft analysts are starting to say that Smith is the 2nd best corner in the draft. This is upsetting as a Niner fan since Smith's availability for us in the 2nd could be in jeopardy. Jimmy is a physical corner that plays man coverage very well. He's also got good size and speed. He won't get a lot of INTs, but he'll compete for the ball on all downs.

3rd Round: Ricky Stanzi QB
This won't be a popular selection for some of you, but I go with Stanzi with our 3rd rounder. He's got prototypical size for a QB, mobile in the pocket, and showed the best evasive skills during the Senior Bowl week. He's also got great accuracy and a decent long ball. Probably the most pro-ready QB in the draft in terms of footwork and mechanics. Great leadership skills. He will need more work in making quicker progressions.

4th Round A: Orlando Franklin OT/OG
Orlando might be off the board by now but it all depends on how he does in the Combine and what position he fits to in the pros. In my mock, he falls and is projected as a guard for our team. Franklin's got great size and long arms. Has gotten some comparison to Leonard Davis.

4th Round B: Sione Fua NT
Fangio gets his NT that he's familiar with. Fua won't start right away especially if we franchise Aubrayo again, or if Ricky Jean-Francois continues to progress. However, Fua is a space eater and will stuff the run. They could find space for him as a DT to give Soap or Justin Smith a breather.

5th Round: Owen Marecic FB
In all honesty, I doubt that Marecic falls here. A lot of teams like those old school type of players. No nonsense, does whatever you want, and physical players. That is Owen Marecic. FB isn't a huge need for us and having Nate Byham playing the H-Back position could help, but we'd be lucky if we were able to get Owen here.

6th Round: Dion Lewis HB
Pipe dream here, but there are a lot of running backs in this draft with more of a prototypical size in the NFL which is why Lewis falls. Lewis is a workhorse type of back that had almost 1800 yards rushing two years ago. A down year this past season due to the level of talent in his offensive line, Lewis still showed his playmaking abilities.

6th Round: Richard Sherman CB/S
Another Stanford player selected by Harbaugh. Sherman got burned a couple times this past season and makes some bonehead plays, but the talent is there and he's got great size. He can also move to safety.

7th rounders: BPA

Alright, have at it

[ Edited by SF69ers on Feb 8, 2011 at 10:44:32 ]
Turn Stanzi into Kaepernick and you got yourself a draft.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
Turn Stanzi into Kaepernick and you got yourself a draft.

I went back and forth with the selection between Stanzi, Kaepernick, and Dalton. I'd be happy with either one of those QBs in the 3rd round, honestly, but Kaps does have the bigger upside and bust potential.
I would take that draft. Kap would be a better call probably but overall

[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Feb 8, 2011 at 11:23:57 ]
I'm starting to think that Smith isn't gonna make out of the 1st round. A lot of those teams picking late in the 1st round could use a tall physical CB. If he runs a nice .40 time I don't think he gets past the Eagles. Lewis that late int eh draft does seem like a pipe dream, but it's a good dream.

Overall very solid
Originally posted by lamontb:
I'm starting to think that Smith isn't gonna make out of the 1st round. A lot of those teams picking late in the 1st round could use a tall physical CB. If he runs a nice .40 time I don't think he gets past the Eagles. Lewis that late int eh draft does seem like a pipe dream, but it's a good dream.

Overall very solid

The whole Jimmy Smith-hype train ruined the plan. Not a whole lot of people really knew about the guy during the season. Oh well

We do have some options taking a corner in the 2nd round. Guys like Johnny Patrick, Rock Carmichael, and Ras-I Dowling should still be around when we pick.
I'd nut all over if Stanzi was Ponder.
great work

Overall very solid

If he does make it out of the first, he'll be gone for sure by our 2nd selection unless we move up.
Originally posted by SF69ers:

Overall very solid

The whole Jimmy Smith-hype train ruined the plan. Not a whole lot of people really knew about the guy during the season. Oh well

We do have some options taking a corner in the 2nd round. Guys like Johnny Patrick, Rock Carmichael, and Ras-I Dowling should still be around when we pick.

Yea i didn't know much about the guy til after the season. Then I looked at some of his highlights and see how he competes for the ball and i was sold. The thing is you can't gauge his weaknesses off of youtube. I'm sure there are some. But I just love the way he competes. Add that to his size and i think he will be a solid pro. His stock is rising like McCourty rose from a mid 2nd to a late 1st rounder last year.

Originally posted by SF69ers:

Overall very solid

Yea i didn't know much about the guy til after the season. Then I looked at some of his highlights and see how he competes for the ball and i was sold. The thing is you can't gauge his weaknesses off of youtube. I'm sure there are some. But I just love the way he competes. Add that to his size and i think he will be a solid pro. His stock is rising like McCourty rose from a mid 2nd to a late 1st rounder last year.

One thing I did notice about Smith is that he needs to work on the basics of tackling. He likes to go high all the time. He needs to realize that he's a physical presence as a corner and that needs to get low.
I just saw this after posting mine.

Great minds think alike. I, too, chose Fua, but in the third as I believe his stock will drive him up. Like you, I believe that he's a perfect fit for Fangio's D since he's already played it and can start from day one. A third round NT starting, wow!

I went with Sherman and Keiser, instead of Marecic.

Nice job!!!! I would love Quinn, but in mine we pass him up for a trade.
Originally posted by ninertico:
I just saw this after posting mine.

Great minds think alike. I, too, chose Fua, but in the third as I believe his stock will drive him up. Like you, I believe that he's a perfect fit for Fangio's D since he's already played it and can start from day one. A third round NT starting, wow!

I went with Sherman and Keiser, instead of Marecic.

Nice job!!!! I would love Quinn, but in mine we pass him up for a trade.

Yea I saw your mock as well. Interesting perspective for sure and trading down for Prince is still great value.

I actually really wanted Keiser and maybe I should add him in a future mock. I don't see his stock leapfrogging a round since he won't be attending the combine, but he could have an enormous pro day.
Originally posted by vrabbit:
great work

Thank you, sir.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
You know how I feel about Quinn, regardless, solid draft 69er!!!!!

Richard Sherman is a guy I hope Harbaugh really targets.

Love our secondary, Jimmy Smith and Richard Sherman very underrated if you ask me.

Orlando Franklin is another solid pick up, let Snyder focus on being our swing guard and let Franklin become our swing tackle.
Share 49ersWebzone