LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 213 users in the forums

QB-Point Blank Who do you WANT on the 9ers next season

QB-Point Blank Who do you WANT on the 9ers next season

Carson Palmer.
Carson Palmer and Christian Ponder

Although CP9 will most likely remain with the gals. Bulger (for a yr or two) and Ponder
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Not overwhelmed by the list! Would like to see them keep Smith and pick up Josh Johnson and a rookie in the third...Dalton?

WOOOO!! ONE MORE YEAR!!!
No Alex Smith?
Trade for Kolb (2nd and next years 3rd or something). Pick up a QB in the 3rd round (maybe Dalton or Ponder). Lets fix this QB issue, or at least attempt to.

Von Miller or Prince Amukamara with our first pick if anybody is wondering where I would go.
I was disappointed in the choices, as I feel some of the more sensible choices were not listed.

First, I think drafting a QB prospect is a given. But since we should intelligently be building for the future, he should be the one with the most natural abilities, even if he is not presently polished or NFL ready. That is why I was disappointed that Ponder/Dalton/Stanzi were not among the choices. It is Baalke/Harbaugh's job to figure out who this guy should be.

Second, if we are truly looking to the future, we should use the rest of our draft choices on non-QBs. Hence, we should not consider trading for a veteran. Any veteran listed is likely not a "frachise" quality QB, otherwise he would not be available.

That leads us, therefore, to UFAs, which would not cost us any draft choices to sign. Of course, Alex should have been on this list. With Harbaugh's guidance, I think he is has as much chance of being the best "stop-gap" available.

Bottom line: Alex and Dalton are my choices.
I'd add Dennis Dixon and Matt Flynn onto this list. Both are players I think Harbaugh might enjoy tutoring.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I would vote Alex Smith to start, and draft one of the rookie Qbs in the 2nd or 3rd round.
Originally posted by Vonjohnson80:
Carson Palmer.

I was all for this about a month ago, but I have had time to think. Here is why he will never end up here:

1. Mike Brown is the worst owner in football. You think the Yorks are bad? I have lived in Cincinnati for the last 8 years and I can tell you that he spends the less than any other franchise on scouting, refuses to make upgrades to his coaching staff, and makes almost every football decision based on possible immediate profit rather than long-term sustainability of success. He is also ridiculously vindictive when it comes to "disloyal" players. He has come out and said that he refuses to trade Palmer. Even if there is no hope of Palmer playing for him again, he would rather win a staring contest than make a viable football trade.

2. Palmer's biggest issue for the last 4 seasons has been his accuracy. He consistently misses wide open targets. He has battled knee and, more concerning, elbow issues and it has taken its toll on his arm strength and velocity. He has thrown an alarming number of interceptions because he is trying to make throws he once made with ease but now lack the zip necessary.

3. He is a statue QB that fits much better in a vertical passing attack rather than a WCO. If his arm strength ever does come back, he throws a ton of deep outs and almost never uses his TE. He doesn't fair well in a system that calls upon him to make quick reads and check down through multiple options. He has a maximum of two reads per play bevore he throws the ball away.
Originally posted by boast:
i'm still intrigued by Josh Johnson.

Same. The rest of the players there are uninspiring.

-9fA

Originally posted by excelsior:
I was disappointed in the choices, as I feel some of the more sensible choices were not listed.

First, I think drafting a QB prospect is a given. But since we should intelligently be building for the future, he should be the one with the most natural abilities, even if he is not presently polished or NFL ready. That is why I was disappointed that Ponder/Dalton/Stanzi were not among the choices. It is Baalke/Harbaugh's job to figure out who this guy should be.

Second, if we are truly looking to the future, we should use the rest of our draft choices on non-QBs. Hence, we should not consider trading for a veteran. Any veteran listed is likely not a "frachise" quality QB, otherwise he would not be available.

That leads us, therefore, to UFAs, which would not cost us any draft choices to sign. Of course, Alex should have been on this list. With Harbaugh's guidance, I think he is has as much chance of being the best "stop-gap" available.

Bottom line: Alex and Dalton are my choices.

I think your logic of, "if he were a franchise guy, he wouldn't be available" is flawed. Kurt Warner was a free agent pick up for the Cardinals AFTER he was considered "done" and he revived the franchise. Veteran QBs can often be had if the team decides to go in another direction (i.e Favre with the Packers) or if the team and player don't seem to fit well (McNabb? Anyone?). The point is, we are trying to find a guy that can run this offense, mentor a young guy, and give us a chance to win this year. Not an impossible task.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
kolb
i voted for orton and would like to see us drat either dalton or devlin-BUT NOT BEFORE THE 3RD. dunno how long either will last.

orton, is very underrated in my opinion. i liked him with the bears and i definitely liked him with the broncos-especially when they started off 6-0. i would only have orton as a placeholder QB. really, i think we need someone who will be able to help with this transition and start until the drafted QB is ready to go. i am NOT opposed to kolb ( if the price is right) and would not mind johnson, but ONLY to compete and not just given the job over a rookie.
My QB depth going into season

1.McNabb (restructured contract)
2.Gabbert
3.Carr
I jacked up and forgot Vince Young....the Bengals have said they aren't trading Palmer so I didn't list him I guess I should have anyway?
Share 49ersWebzone