LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

QB-Point Blank Who do you WANT on the 9ers next season

QB-Point Blank Who do you WANT on the 9ers next season

I know the topic of QB has been beat to death on here. I've yet to see a full examination of most potential starting quarterback options for next season on one thread.

Tons of potential options but with no real idea of who is really out there who do you want to start for the 49ers at QB next season?

I put only QBs that will be FAs, likely 1st round picks or backup QBs with some real potential to be available.

For the sake of this thead as well as my and many other webzoners tired of every 9er talk thread becoming an Alex Smith thread's sanity I left him off the list. For the love of God let's all just at least pretend he's out of the picture.

My choice is Kyle Orton.

I don't think any of the 1st round QBs are worth #7 overall pick and they def aren't ready to start next season.

I like Kolb but for the ransum the Eagles are rumored to want for him I'll pass his body of work just isn't impressive enough yet to warrant a king's ransum for him IMO.

McNabb was AWFUL in Wash this year, I think he will be better with a stronger team next season however Steve Young's comments have stuck in my head about Donovan. (lazy, if you can't play under shanahan's offense your done etc)

Hasselbeck's going back to Sea, Carroll has said his #1 priority is keeping him and with their playoff success this year chances are he stays put.

Bulger sucks as a starter, Josh Johnson hasn't proven anything but I'd like him as a fallback option if he comes cheap maybe a 4th rounder. Stanton hasn't proven enough to be handed the keys to a team yet.

Kyle Orton although not spectacular is a solid QB with a couple good years left. He looked really good with an awful Broncos team this year. He's a guy that will not lose games and will manage this team well for a couple years while Harbaugh develops his QB of the future.

I have a feeling the zone will be largely split in their preference. Thoughts?

[ Edited by matt49er on Feb 6, 2011 at 23:19:28 ]
  • fan49
  • Veteran
the draftees are def. not the ones i like
I voted Gabbert at #7 but I dont think he'll be there. Aside from him Kolb probably but not for the Eagles asking price. Orton is decent but unspectacular. I might roll the dice on McNabb but Steve's comments on him kinda scared me off. The one guy with the highest upside might be Bulger, he has actually played at a very high level before when on a team with actual talent.
I don't understand how people have written McNabb off so quickly. His career has proven that he is an above average WCO passer. Yes, he had ONE terrible year in Washington. Let's see if we can figure out why:

1. Terrible offensive talent. The Redskins had an awful supporting cast.
2. New system. Much was made of his inability to understand the offensive system, but doesn't that fall to the coaches as well? A veteran that has been productive for years can't grasp an offense? Something stinks.
3. Dysfunctional organization - It starts at the top with Snyder's insanity and continued to a team full of players that didn't want to be there.

I'm not saying he is a perfect QB. He is older and has perhaps lost a step, but one bad season for a TERRIBLE organization doesn't erase his near HOF career. If all of this means we can get him on the cheap, then great, but it's hard to image a better fit for this team. He's well versed in the WCO, is often lauded for his leadership and coachability, and has a track record of helping young QBs adjust to the league and the team's system.
Originally posted by matt49er:
My choice is Kyle Orton.

I don't think any of the 1st round QBs are worth #7 overall pick and they def aren't ready to start next season.

I like Kolb but for the ransum the Eagles are rumored to want for him I'll pass his body of work just isn't impressive enough yet to warrant a king's ransum for him IMO.

McNabb was AWFUL in Wash this year, I think he will be better with a stronger team next season however Steve Young's comments have stuck in my head about Donovan. (lazy, if you can't play under shanahan's offense your done etc)

Hasselbeck's going back to Sea, Carroll has said his #1 priority is keeping him and with their playoff success this year chances are he stays put.

Bulger sucks as a starter, Josh Johnson hasn't proven anything but I'd like him as a fallback option if he comes cheap maybe a 4th rounder. Stanton hasn't proven enough to be handed the keys to a team yet.

Kyle Orton although not spectacular is a solid QB with a couple good years left. He looked really good with an awful Broncos team this year. He's a guy that will not lose games and will manage this team well for a couple years while Harbaugh develops his QB of the future.

I have a feeling the zone will be largely split in their preference. Thoughts?

I agree completely. Orton is the kind of guy who, with the right supporting cast, is good enough to keep the team competitive until another QB can be developed. Either that or maybe Harbaugh can perform his QB magic and turn him into a franchise QB.

The only other veteran who Harbaugh might be able to groom into a franchise QB is Kolb, but he's still a bit of a mystery and comes at such a steep price. With Orton, you know what you're getting and the price should be reasonable.
Kolb

OR

McNabb AND #1 rookie
V. Young AND #1 rookie
Not overwhelmed by the list! Would like to see them keep Smith and pick up Josh Johnson and a rookie in the third...Dalton?

[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 7, 2011 at 04:41:08 ]
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Kolb

OR

McNabb AND #1 rookie
V. Young AND #1 rookie

Vince Young is worse than Carr
I know ima get heat for this but I would like mcnabb, the redskins are horrible and he ha no help on offense. Bring him here and watch was he does and , here it comes I want Jake locker but I want him to sit behind mcnabb and learn and work work work and work some more on his accuracy and decision making. But not at #7 I'd take him n round 2. Ok give me crap now I'm ready
If we can swap first's for Kolb, then I am okay with that trade. Otherwise, I would like to take Gabbert at #7, but don't see him dropping that far with several teams ahead of us in desparate need of a QB. Aside from that, it is like saying "who is not as bad as the rest?"

• Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Andrew Luck
What a s**tty list.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Gavintech:
What a s**tty list.

What would your list consist of???
Whichever one Harbaugh can make into a top 10 passer the fastest.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
i'm still intrigued by Josh Johnson.
Share 49ersWebzone