• 4ML
  • Veteran
Re-Signings:
1. Baas (long term deal)
2. Goldson (RFA)
3. Spikes (1 yr. deal)
4. Clements restructured and will compete at CB or Safety
5. Franchise Franklin

Lawson is the major FA to leave the team.

FA-Signings:
1. OLB Mathias Kiwanuka - A natural fit in 3-4 defense
2. QB Matt Hasselbeck or Orton

Draft:
Rd. 1

1. Carolina: AJ Green WR - BPA at a position of need.
2. Denver: Patrick Peterson CB - CBs don't go high, but he is one of the best to come out in recent times
3. Buffalo: Von Miller OLB - They need pass-rushers for their 3-4 Defense
4. Cincy: Nick Fairly DT - Their DL needs upgrades
5. Arizona: Marcell Dareus DT - Need to shore up that Dline.
6. Cleveland: Julio Jones WR - They need weapons for Colt McCoy
7. Washington (via 49ers): Blaine Gabberts QB - trade 1st and 2nd rounder to move up in front of Titans to get their Franchise QB
8. Titans: Da'Quan Bowers DE - They were ready to draft Gabberts, but need a DE as well. They are excited to see Bowers drop.
9. Dallas: Cameron Jordan DE - They sign a top CB in FA and fill a need at DE
10. 49ers (via Washington): Robert Quinn OLB - They trade down and get their man while picking up a early 2nd rounder

Rd. 2
49ers (via Wash): Phil Taylor NT - We need to find Franklin's future replacement.
49ers: Aaron Williams CB - Will replace Clements sooner or later.
49ers (trade up) - Colin Kaepernick QB - 49ers move up by giving up a 3rd & 4th rounder to move to the end of rd. 2 to draft Franchise QB who will be ready in 2012.

Rd. 4
49ers: Owen Marecic FB - Stanford connection

Rest of the draft may fulfill the need of RB, WR, and DB

Recap:

OLBs - Kiwanuka & Quinn
QB - Hasselbeck/Orton for 2011, Kaepernick to start in 2012
CB - Clement will eventually move to FS (compete with Goldson) or be cut, depending on our drafting pick Aaron Williams and Goldson
FB - Finally added a smash-mouth FB
DL - Added a potential NT starter who can contribute at DE as well

[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Feb 6, 2011 at 08:45:38 ]
I like it. Quinn and Big Phil would be a great upgrade for our front seven. We could also really use a quality CB, so I like the Williams pick.

There's no way Fairley and Dareus get passed Buffalo. I wasn't aware that they were switching to the 3-4, but if that's the case, they have Merriman and Maybin to rush the passer. Either way, they'll be looking to bolster their line and Fairley and Dareus would be a perfect fit.

Also, Pete Carroll has said that his #1 priority is to resign Hasselbeck. He'd be an excellent stop gap, but I doubt he'll be an option.
Those suggesting that Franklin be franchised are overlooking reality. Placing the franchise tag on Franklin would mean paying him over $12 million. The Niner's could afford it, but they won't do it because it means essentially paying him almost DOUBLE what they are paying their perrenial pro bowler Willis. Too disruptive of team chemistry and creates problems for down the road. They'll either sign him to a contract for more than he's worth or be forced to go in a different direction. New defensive coordinator may also have different ideas.

Another thought: If they were even close to contemplating that kind of money for Franklin, they would be in a perfect mindset to acquire Namndi A. and it would be a better move. IMO neither (franchising Franklin or acquiring Namndi) is in the cards. We'll see.

I think that you draft scenario is very intriguing and I like it. Many dominos have to fall though, so it's likelihood is questionable. Have you looked at the value equivalency tables for the trade that you are suggesting? Is the #7 worth a #10 and early 2nd rounder?

Your QB pick is very interesting. He could be a gem although he is not my personal favorite. But he has maybe the best physical QB attributes of all the guys out there.
If that trade could happen getting Quinn at 10th and an extra 2nd, I'll be the happiest man on earth but I dont think that low of Was, the next two picks should be great; the pick I don't like is the Nevada QB, don't like his mechanics, accuracy and slow throwing motion.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by strickac:
I like it. Quinn and Big Phil would be a great upgrade for our front seven. We could also really use a quality CB, so I like the Williams pick.

There's no way Fairley and Dareus get passed Buffalo. I wasn't aware that they were switching to the 3-4, but if that's the case, they have Merriman and Maybin to rush the passer. Either way, they'll be looking to bolster their line and Fairley and Dareus would be a perfect fit.

Also, Pete Carroll has said that his #1 priority is to resign Hasselbeck. He'd be an excellent stop gap, but I doubt he'll be an option.

Bills switched to 3-4 last year. Merriman hasn't played anything like his old self. Maybin was the biggest disappointment in last year's draft. Not just his play, but his attitude as well.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by queretano:
If that trade could happen getting Quinn at 10th and an extra 2nd, I'll be the happiest man on earth but I dont think that low of Was, the next two picks should be great; the pick I don't like is the Nevada QB, don't like his mechanics, accuracy and slow throwing motion.

Washington can very well fall in love with a QB and will be ready to pay premium price to get him. Quinn has clearly dropped out of top 5.

I can understand why some may not like my QB pick, I think Harbaugh can do wonders with him if given a full year.
I like our picks but dont think the AZ goes dline. I think they are need of a pass rushing LB , secondary, or qb. Their d-line is not that bad
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

Bills switched to 3-4 last year. Merriman hasn't played anything like his old self. Maybin was the biggest disappointment in last year's draft. Not just his play, but his attitude as well.

lol his play has been disappointing but where did you pick up his attitude has been a problem. I know maybin and he loves the bills and attitude is definitely not the problem, him not being able to stop the run is.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by footballxpaul:

lol his play has been disappointing but where did you pick up his attitude has been a problem. I know maybin and he loves the bills and attitude is definitely not the problem, him not being able to stop the run is.

They are already rumors about releasing him. Also, I heard from a friend in NY that he released a rap song that wasn't seen in good light with the coaches or upper management or the fans.

The fact that there are even rumors of releasing him after just 2 year is an indication enough.

Maybin may not make the roster
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by asu49ers:
I like our picks but dont think the AZ goes dline. I think they are need of a pass rushing LB , secondary, or qb. Their d-line is not that bad

Very possible. I can see AZ going with a CB. QB is a long shot for me, just because they need to win now and will likely go out and get someone like McNabb or Palmer.

They are already rumors about releasing him. Also, I heard from a friend in NY that he released a rap song that wasn't seen in good light with the coaches or upper management or the fans.

The fact that there are even rumors of releasing him after just 2 year is an indication enough.

ya he tried to make his own album that is admittedly terrible a while ago, and I wouldnt be surprised if he is released. The problem isnt attitude, its the fact he cant stop the run (never could), he is actually one of the hardest workers i know. If he does get released he will be picked up quickly.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

ya he tried to make his own album that is admittedly terrible a while ago, and I wouldnt be surprised if he is released. The problem isnt attitude, its the fact he cant stop the run (never could), he is actually one of the hardest workers i know. If he does get released he will be picked up quickly.

Oh okay. Well, in the end - Bills desperately need a pass-rusher, and Von Miller make a lot of sense for them, though I personally think he is not worth a top 5 pick.

Oh okay. Well, in the end - Bills desperately need a pass-rusher, and Von Miller make a lot of sense for them, though I personally think he is not worth a top 5 pick.

I dont think so either. I'd rather trade down and still get a pass rusher via the DL and OLB positions that'll help us. Maybe we can get Maybin
id like it but im pretty sure washington doesnt have a 3rd or 4th round pick so they would be kinda shooting themselves in the foot to have 1 pick in the first 4
Originally posted by TalkinBoutWILLIS:
id like it but im pretty sure washington doesnt have a 3rd or 4th round pick so they would be kinda shooting themselves in the foot to have 1 pick in the first 4

Exactly what I was about to say. I don't see that trade happening at all b/c the Skins really don't have picks to give up. Plus I think they could stay at 10 and still get a qb they are targeting.
Share 49ersWebzone