There are 147 users in the forums

My Top 10 mock & 5 rounds for us! ENJOY

It's realistic. I'd have to say this is my favorite mock I've seen so far. I like all the picks.

Hopefully it happens.
Originally posted by strickac:
It's realistic. I'd have to say this is my favorite mock I've seen so far. I like all the picks.

Hopefully it happens.

I would agree with you. Leaving this draft with a pass rusher, a starting QB, CB, NT and solid FB would be awesome. With three picks left the Niners could still fill whatever holes are left (developmental QB, a WR, an offensive linemen, or a 3-4 DE).
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
I'd rather draft Gabbert

A second, a fourth and a conditional next year? I really hope not. Not convinced about Kolb.
It stands to reason that a Kolb acquisition (assuming that it takes serious higher round picks) means that the team believes that he is their long term answer, i.e., that he is their franchise QB.

We have seen enough of Kolb to the point that he is no longer an unknown commodity.

So I ask you: Having observed his attributes, who of you thinks that this guy is our long term franchise QB? So far I am assuming that those of you advocating getting him believe that he is not far from being in the Matt Ryan/Aaron Rodgers class. Am I right?

IMO he is not that AT ALL. He has not displayed that "IT" factor in his demeanor so far. I believe that there are a few qb's in the class this year who potentially have the right demeanor and skill set.

That is primarily the reason why you retain those high picks: The chance at finding the right fit, rather than settling for second tier.

There are interim, second tier solutions out there there that would not cost the Niners ANY draft picks.

Another point: Don't assume that just because the team may like him that they would be successful in attracting him. If he is any good, there's going to be competition for his services. We do not have a great receiving corp. Why would he not influence a decision to be traded to a team that has. Arizona, for example.

Bottom line: I don't think that Baalke/Harbaugh will think of him as the final solution. We'll see.
Originally posted by 52isabeast:
This is my Mock draft for the first 10 picks and then ours through the 4th round. I have also listed in a trade and reasoning. Would love some feedback! Again this isn’t my wish list (would much rather have Peterson), but it’s what I think is going to happen on draft day.

Carolina – Nick Fairley, DT – Auburn – People forget that Carolina had plenty of pass rush from the DE spot last year as Charles Johnson had over 10 sacks and Everett Brown is improving. Fairley will help in rushing the passer and stopping the run. Since Bowers/Peterson/Fairley will be graded so evenly, I think the pick goes to the greater need.

Denver – D’Quan Bowers -- I don’t like the “Bailey is leaving so Peterson is the guy comparison” because I think this team will simply select the best player available to them. Elvis will be a question mark on his return and Ayers has been a disappointment so far. There are holes in the secondary, but that will wait.

Buffalo – Patrick Peterson, CB – LSU –I could also see this being AJ Green based on how crazy Buffalo drafts, it’s almost like you throw logic out and throw a dart at a dartboard for this pick. I just feel that Buffalo’s front office feels like they can get production based on their offensive system (see Stevie Johnson) and will want a CB like Revis for themselves.

Cincinnati – AJ Green, WR – Georgia – Owens will be gone, Ocho will probably follow, and Simpson appears to be a really good #2 option. Green’s the guy to go with the owner’s commitment to Carson.

Arizona – Von Miller, OLB – Texas A & M – Their pass rush is awful, the D-line has a bright future though with Dan Williams, Dockett, and Campbell on it. Rushing the passer would go a long way towards hiding the problems their secondary showed last year. Whisenhunt was following Miller at Senior Bowl.

Cleveland – Marcell Dareus, DL – Alabama – This would give a great run support/interior pass rusher to partner with an aging Shaun Rogers. He is also versatile enough to play DE in 3-4, so could be beneficial in sub packages. They wanted Miller or Green and “settle” on Dareus.

San Fran – Robert Quinn, DE/OLB – UNC – We need a pass rusher (we’ve beaten the horse to death) and this guy could be the next DeMarcus Ware. He has great speed, used his hands well, and has the burst that can’t be taught. He’ll be the difference between Lawson’s “pressures” and real hits on the QB!

Tennessee – Blaine Gabbert, QB – Missouri – New regime, new QB for a team with no coach and no quarterback currently. Has a lot of good things in his game and has the frame/skill-set to improve in most NFL offenses. Having Chris Johnson in the backfield will certainly help the rookie’s cause!

Dallas – Prince Amukamara, CB – Nebraska – Newman just looked old last year in a lot of spots and Mike Jenkins certainly regressed. Both Scandrick and Jenkins have proven to be too hot-headed, as effective long term replacements for Newman. Amukamara is also BPA at this point which makes an easy decision for Jerry Jones.

Washington – Cam Newton, QB – Auburn – I do believe that this pick will be traded and probably won’t be Newton at #10, but I do think that Newton is going to Washington in Rd 1. Just a hunch but I think the team will feel pressure to replace McNabb and don’t feel confident enough about other prospects being available with their other picks. Most likely a trade down a few spots, but Cam goes to the Skins.

More picks through the rest of our draft:

Round 2: TRADED TO PHILLY for Kevin Kolb. It just seems like this deal is already in the preliminary stages at this point. I’m not a real big fan of this move, but I do believe it’s going to happen. It just always seems that Philly fleeces teams for 2nd round picks on their back-up QB’s. The difference could be a similar Offense and Philly did have him listed as the starter last year. (Probably going to have to give a conditional pick in 2012 and our other 4th rounder this year as well).

Round 3: Rashad Carmichael– CB, VA Tech—This position has been sorry for years and I think that Carmichael will at least get a chance to play in Nickel right away. Brown needs to only play Dime/Special teams coverage.

Round 4: Jerrelle Powe, NT – Ole Miss – Get a big bodied guy to help rotate with Franklin and potentially replace him.

Round 4 #2 is traded to Philly…

Round 5 : Stanley Havili, FB- USC—I think Harbaugh will greet him over the phone and ask “what’s your deal?” right away to clear any hard feelings.

Great mock draft very very realistic...i completely agree with the top ten.

The only difference might be we try to get mcnabb as a fa instead of trading our second and fourth but then again he may go to ariz or minn if the skins release him.....so we may not wait.

If we do not trade then cb in the second
Two things:

1st on Kolb -- I certainly have reservations about trading for Kolb and his price tag. I am more so looking at what I THINK will happen, not what would happen if I were playing Madden at home. I've seen the Eagle fleece teams for 2nd round + extra picks for their QB's in the past and I can certainly see it happening here. Kolb is in my opinion a bigger version of Garcia and we can make the playoffs with this guy at the helm. Is he Ryan/Rodgers? No I don't think so, or that package would include two 1st rounders and a 3rd (it's what Atlanta gave to trade up for Vick in the draft, what NYG gave up for Eli, and what Chicago gave up for Cutler).

2nd on Gabbert-- He certainly could be the guy and I also would love to see him go to Arizona so that more talent drops for us. I think that Whisenhunt and team go after a VET to meet Fitz's demands (could also target Kolb) but will most likely grab Bulger to lead while the youngsters learn.

Obviously I will be more partial to my own picks, but if the draft shook this way I would be happy and feel that the Defense would be even more improved, bringing the gap that much closer with our improving offense.

BTW-- Check out Celek's stats with Kolb under center, what do you think he'd do with a TE like VD? Here's a hint....he'd be our first 1,000 YD receiver since T.O.
Really like Quinn and Havili but not Kolb deal. I would hate to see the 9ers trade anything for a QB who is a stop gap. Would much rather they go after someone Harbaugh thinks might be a fixture. Of course, if he likes Kolb then I will certainly change my opinion.
I am not sure what people see in Kolb. I mean Michael Vick is not Peyton Manning, and if he didn't have those speedsters in Jackson and Macklin, and a very good TE, do you think he would have blown up teams the way he did this year.

Kolb couldn't beat out Michael Vick.

As for Gabbert, the knock on him is accuracy.

A WCO offense doesn't need someone who can throw a 70 yard frozen rope, they need a QB who can thread the needle. If you get one that can do both (Aaron Rodgers) then you get the double bonus.

As much as I hate to say this, the best QB we've had recently for the WCO was Shaun Hill.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
I am not sure what people see in Kolb. I mean Michael Vick is not Peyton Manning, and if he didn't have those speedsters in Jackson and Macklin, and a very good TE, do you think he would have blown up teams the way he did this year.

Kolb couldn't beat out Michael Vick.

As for Gabbert, the knock on him is accuracy.

A WCO offense doesn't need someone who can throw a 70 yard frozen rope, they need a QB who can thread the needle. If you get one that can do both (Aaron Rodgers) then you get the double bonus.

As much as I hate to say this, the best QB we've had recently for the WCO was Shaun Hill.

Hill was a gamer but has 1/2 of Kolbs arm strength. I'm not saying Kolb is Rodgers/Brady/Manning but he's a capable player and would be an upgrade.

Let's not forget Kolb was the starter until Vick played Mvp football. Your comment about vick is ridiculous and makes me laugh. The guy has a hall of fame Monday night game and his jersey is in Canton as a result, but you're going to question him?

If Vick were a FA (he's gonna be franchised) this board would be screaming for him in every post. If you want to question his wins and losses that's fine, but there's about 27 teams that would've had Vick start for them this year over their QB.

take out the kolb part and you got yourself a winner
If Miller is not there I like Quinn as the pick.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Great job on the draft, I've got a lot of hometown pride for Havili, I watched him kill it highschool here in SLC. I do feel like there are other options to be had at QB though, in free agency alone there is Bulger, Clemens, Dixon, Leinart, Hanie, Pennington, Stanton and the ever possible McNabb signing. Other trade bait QBs are Johnson and Orton, since I threw McNabb in their I have to thrown in Palmer as well. Believe me we will exhaust all options before we give up 2 picks for a stopgap QB.
I really hope we don't lose our 2nd rounder, getting our hands on Jimmy Smith, Brandon Harris or Brandon Burton would be so sick. Which again is why I don't see us giving up our #2, we have two massive needs in OLB and CB and unless we can land one hell of a player at either position in free agency or trade we won't give up any of our first 3 picks. Especially if the QB Harbaugh has his heart set on carries a 1-3 draft grade.

[ Edited by sfout on Feb 7, 2011 at 20:44:33 ]
Share 49ersWebzone