There are 239 users in the forums

MadDog49er Big 100 Board

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by Decima_Mas:
Hi Maddog,
I’m a newbie here. I’m sorry for my shaky English but I’m Italian.

I often read your posts and I found them very interesting and qualified

I have some questions for you.
I read that you are a fan of Blaine Gabbert and Colin Kapernick. Me too but I have some concerns about them.

I don’t see them as WCO QB. I don’t see them accurate enough to play in that system.
Besides I’m not sold about their ability to do the quick read that WCO needs.

I think that they would be a perfect fit in the Ken Whisehunt system which is easier than Harbugh offense.
Moreover in the Cardinals system you need a big strong armed guy but accuracy is less crucial than the one you need in a WCO.

What do you think about that? Do you see Gabbert and Kapernick as good fit in our system?

Thanks

Nice! Like MD said, good to see someone from the Motherland here!

More impressive is you know your college football! Question: How big is American Football over there? NFL? College?

Viva Italia! Hate about their WC showing though

In Italy American Football is less known even if the fans of this marvellous sport are increasing but right now NBA is more popular.

In Italy there is a great coverage of American sports (NFL ,MLB, NHL, NBA, College football and basket) but you have to have a pay tv like me .

Also internet it's big resource. Do you know game pass?
It's a subscription which let us see the NFL season with more or less 200 dollars.

I have known webzone since several years, I often read what you write but I have never attended because writing in a comprehensible english is not an easy task for me.

I write in a Italian American football forum. Among Italian Niners fans webzone is well known and especially Maddog.

We often comment on his posts especially when he talks about draft and his Big 100 board.

Besides I know tha maddog is from Ohio and he is an history teacher if i am not wrong. it seems to me to have read that on webzone .

Bye

Youre doing a great job with English. Dont sell yourself short! You should post more often...dont feel embarrassed, its the internet, I think its AWESOME that you guys know us here.

Yes MD is our resident draft guru, here for about 5 years, ever since Anti G (the previous MD went to work for the NFL) left. And MD is amazing at what he does...

So do me a favor here...bring this link to your fellow 9erItalian friends there and tell me what you think of our all time soccer draft we had last year....I hope you guys enjoy this one...

www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=137841

You are way too kind. On The Clock is really outstanding in following college players and tracking their draft status. I value his thoughts as much as any "expert" that gets paid for a living.

Im sorry I left OTC off. You and him both are a credit. Some of your rants during season are alot to be desired...but you keep it real for the most part...but you have made this youre specialty, and OTC....and that is why our forums are greater than any others.

U deserve the props.

Thanks for the free work you do.
Hi Maddog,

I read that you are a fan of Blaine Gabbert and Colin Kapernick. Me too but I have some concerns about them.

I don’t see them as WCO QB. I don’t see them accurate enough to play in that system.

I think that they would be a perfect fit in the Ken Whisehunt system which is easier than Harbugh offense.
Moreover in the Cardinals system you need a big strong armed guy but accuracy is less crucial than the one you need in a WCO.

What do you think about that? Do you see Gabbert and Kapernick as good fit in our system?

Thanks

More impressive is you know your college football! Question: How big is American Football over there? NFL? College?

In Italy American Football is less known even if the fans of this marvellous sport are increasing but right now NBA is more popular.

In Italy there is a great coverage of American sports (NFL ,MLB, NHL, NBA, College football and basket) but you have to have a pay tv like me .

It's a subscription which let us see the NFL season with more or less 200 dollars.

I have known webzone since several years, I often read what you write but I have never attended because writing in a comprehensible english is not an easy task for me.

I write in a Italian American football forum. Among Italian Niners fans webzone is well known and especially Maddog.

We often comment on his posts especially when he talks about draft and his Big 100 board.

Besides I know tha maddog is from Ohio and he is an history teacher if i am not wrong. it seems to me to have read that on webzone .

Bye

Youre doing a great job with English. Dont sell yourself short! You should post more often...dont feel embarrassed, its the internet, I think its AWESOME that you guys know us here.

Yes MD is our resident draft guru, here for about 5 years, ever since Anti G (the previous MD went to work for the NFL) left. And MD is amazing at what he does...

So do me a favor here...bring this link to your fellow 9erItalian friends there and tell me what you think of our all time soccer draft we had last year....I hope you guys enjoy this one...

You are way too kind. On The Clock is really outstanding in following college players and tracking their draft status. I value his thoughts as much as any "expert" that gets paid for a living.

Im sorry I left OTC off. You and him both are a credit. Some of your rants during season are alot to be desired...but you keep it real for the most part...but you have made this youre specialty, and OTC....and that is why our forums are greater than any others.

U deserve the props.

Free?
Hi Maddog,

Thanks

Bye

U deserve the props.

Free?

it saves me to have to pay for the Insider.
1 Nick Fairley Auburn DT
2 Da'Quan Bowers Clemson DE
3 Patrick Peterson LSU CB
4 AJ Green Georgia WR
5 Blaine Gabbert Missouri QB
6 Marcell Dareus Alabama DT
7 Von Miller Texas A&M OLB
8 Robert Quinn North Carolina DE
9 Cameron Jordan Cal DE/DT
10 Cam Newton Auburn QB
11 Prince Amukamara Nebraska CB
12 Ryan Mallett Arkansas QB
13 JJ Watt Wisconsin DE/DT
14 Julio Jones Alabama WR
15 Mark Ingram Alabama RB
16 Brandon Harris Miami CB
17 Ryan Kerrigan Purdue DE

IMO, if Miller and Peterson are gone by #7, Baalke will trade back if Newton is still available. Minny seems like a very strong candidate to relinquish their second given the HIGH price tag of franchise QBs, no? I know the hype machine is rolling down the track hard, but some of it is true. I hope it is so that he's the great bargaining chip.

In your list, Watt, Jordan and Kerrigan would possibly be available unless somehow Gabbert goes top 8 as well. Then I could see Prince and Quinn possibly dropping.

I just have a gut feeling that our original second rounder will be a QB in Ponder, Dalton or Kap. Therefore, why not get that extra second for a true starting CB or OLB. The reason, Watt AND Jordan are better than the Two-Combo-DE setup of Ice and McD. We need a three down LDE, period. Would Dareus fit at #7? If not, trade!

We can do very well with three picks in the first 45, rather than just two. What's your take on that? Curious.
Hi Maddog,

Thanks

Bienvenuti! If I may ask, what part of Itatly are you from. My father's ancestors came from Genoa so I have a kin to my Italian brothers and now there's a 49er one, in the Zone.

I truly welcome you and hope to see more of you here. And yes, Maddog truly knows his craft and there are others that share their natural gift of analyzing NFL talent in On the Clock, GhostofFredDean74, AB83rules who's extraordinary with Cap numbers and their impact, Oldman, and so many others that bring so much to this forum. Truly a gift, they are.

So please come back often and savor the draft analysis like my Dad's Linguine and Pesto w/proscuitto and clams. I do and I am fat for it. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Bienvenute e Dio benedica Italia!
Originally posted by ninertico:
1 Nick Fairley Auburn DT
4 AJ Green Georgia WR
10 Cam Newton Auburn QB

IMO, if Miller and Peterson are gone by #7, Baalke will trade back if Newton is still available. Minny seems like a very strong candidate to relinquish their second given the HIGH price tag of franchise QBs, no? I know the hype machine is rolling down the track hard, but some of it is true. I hope it is so that he's the great bargaining chip.

In your list, Watt, Jordan and Kerrigan would possibly be available unless somehow Gabbert goes top 8 as well. Then I could see Prince and Quinn possibly dropping.

I just have a gut feeling that our original second rounder will be a QB in Ponder, Dalton or Kap. Therefore, why not get that extra second for a true starting CB or OLB. The reason, Watt AND Jordan are better than the Two-Combo-DE setup of Ice and McD. We need a three down LDE, period. Would Dareus fit at #7? If not, trade!

We can do very well with three picks in the first 45, rather than just two. What's your take on that? Curious.

The Niners could trade down if the key players on their board are gone, and they see a sizable drop on their board to the next player. Of course, they would have to find a trade partner.

Dareus would be an option at 7, especially if Franklin departs. The team would more than likely have to shift Sopoaga to NT for at least one year, and Dareus could take over at LDE.

One name for Niners' fans to keep in mind in a trade down is Jimmy Smith of Colorado, who appears to be rising on draft boards.
1 Nick Fairley Auburn DT
4 AJ Green Georgia WR
10 Cam Newton Auburn QB

The Niners could trade down if the key players on their board are gone, and they see a sizable drop on their board to the next player. Of course, they would have to find a trade partner.

Dareus would be an option at 7, especially if Franklin departs. The team would more than likely have to shift Sopoaga to NT for at least one year, and Dareus could take over at LDE.

One name for Niners' fans to keep in mind in a trade down is Jimmy Smith of Colorado, who appears to be rising on draft boards.

I was thinking the same thing. Do you think he's top 10 material or hovering aroung the teens?

Thanks BTW.
There was an interesting comment made by Aikman during the SB coverage. It was that GB was looking for matchups, and that they felt that their 5th receiver was much better than PITT's 5th DB. In other words, you try to exploit that matchup.

That made alot of sense to me. It means that a team must be extremely deep at both WR and at DB. The battles will be won or lost between who has the better players at the 5th level.

If this is true, it seems that having a "shutdown corner" is minimized. It is more important to have 5 good DBs than just two really good ones.

Comments?
1 Nick Fairley Auburn DT
4 AJ Green Georgia WR
10 Cam Newton Auburn QB

I was thinking the same thing. Do you think he's top 10 material or hovering aroung the teens?

Thanks BTW.

After reading some reports filtering from his camp, he and his camp feel confident he will run a 4.40 flat, at 6'2", and look great in drills. He might make a dramatic move upward like Devin McCourty last year after a great combine.

I have moved Smith up to 16th overall, leapfrogging Brandon Harris, but still behind Prince at this point. I'd be a bit surprised if two CB's were taken in the first ten picks (it is incredibly uncommon), but anything is possible. I still believe JJ Watt is going to make his move during the combine and campus workout.
Originally posted by excelsior:
There was an interesting comment made by Aikman during the SB coverage. It was that GB was looking for matchups, and that they felt that their 5th receiver was much better than PITT's 5th DB. In other words, you try to exploit that matchup.

That made alot of sense to me. It means that a team must be extremely deep at both WR and at DB. The battles will be won or lost between who has the better players at the 5th level.

If this is true, it seems that having a "shutdown corner" is minimized. It is more important to have 5 good DBs than just two really good ones.

Comments?

Depth at corner is very important, there is no doubt. At the same time, the Packers have both starting corners in the Pro Bowl.

Plus, the Packers scheme very well. Woodson comes off the edge on blitzes as much as anyone else in the league. Most corners are not very adept at pass rushing.

So, the Packers have an edge over the Niners on defense with a dominant pass rusher and two great corners.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Mad, of the 2nd/3rd round Qb's, which do you like best?
Originally posted by mayo49:

I like Dalton and Kaepernick. I see both as starters in the league, with Dalton a less risky pick, but Kaepernick having a huge upside. They are my number one and two graded Senior QB's in the draft.

Locker needs someone to get inside his head and rebuild his confidence. I wouldn't touch him until the third round.

I see a big dropoff with Ponder. He doesn't have the arm strength of the other three QB's, is not as mobile, and is pretty dinged up. I see him as a banged-up backup in the league, and grade him as my number seven QB in this draft.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Feb 13, 2011 at 05:28:58 ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Thanks, Mad. I really like Dalton and Kaepernick, too. If everthing else was the same, it'd take Kaepernick, because of his stronger arm, and scrambling ability. Thanks, for the input.

[ Edited by mayo49 on Feb 13, 2011 at 05:45:13 ]
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
I see you got Locker pretty high up there bud. Ponder and Ballard should be ranked higher than Locker imo.

I seriously doubt that Ponder will go above Locker for the main reason that Ponder has a limited ceiling, and Locker has a much bigger upside. At some point, I think he will interest someone early in the second round.

If you have taped the Senior Bowl, you will see in the first long pass to Hankerson the limit of Ponder's skills. He severely underthrew the ball, floating the ball up for grabs, and Hankerson made a terrific play to come back to it (poor Jalil Brown had no idea where the ball was located). That pass is an automatic pick in the pros. The safety from UNC, Searcy, was out of position on the play, made a bad break, and did not get there in time. Starting NFL safeties make that pick.

Ballard is a bit inconsistent, and will be that guy who is probably a top 50 pick, but unlikely to be a first rounder. There simply isn't anything exceptional about him.

I see your opinion and you got great reason but with Locker the kid always has had accuracy issues and to me I wouldn't rank him that high. Ballard and Ponder will probably be drafted ahead of Locker imo because of it. I understand your a big Locker guy but with all do respect ohh GOD please let him not be a 49er I rather have Alex Smith back which I really don't want him either.

[ Edited by Norwalks_Best on Feb 13, 2011 at 07:23:12 ]
Originally posted by mayo49:

I like Dalton and Kaepernick. I see both as starters in the league, with Dalton a less risky pick, but Kaepernick having a huge upside. They are my number one and two graded Senior QB's in the draft.

Locker needs someone to get inside his head and rebuild his confidence. I wouldn't touch him until the third round.

I see a big dropoff with Ponder. He doesn't have the arm strength of the other three QB's, is not as mobile, and is pretty dinged up. I see him as a banged-up backup in the league, and grade him as my number seven QB in this draft.

Wes Bunting seems to strongly disagree with your assessment of Ponder
Share 49ersWebzone