LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 210 users in the forums

MadDog49er Big 100 Board

Originally posted by okdkid:
On Jan 2nd you said:

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Miller is probably a second round pick.

What would have changed in the last 30 days that would make him leap that far, over amazing talent? We all knew he'd be a workout/practice superstar. I'm not saying he isn't top 10 worthy. I'm just saying that is quite a jump in your opinion in a mere four weeks.

Skepticism over his weight. To me, he looked more like a 230 pound undersized DE during the season than a guy who can play at 240+ pounds (he was 237 at the Senior Bowl), and play either the 3-4 OLB or 4-3 OLB. He proved me wrong at the Senior Bowl with a higher than expected weight, and the ability to drop into coverage very well.
I think this is a fairly good projection as of now for where players might go. I must say that I would be surprised if Dallas passed on Prince and took Cam Jordan. Also, there are a couple of players that I think you have too high or low but we all have differences of opinions on certain players.

Overall.. good job.
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
I see you got Locker pretty high up there bud. Ponder and Ballard should be ranked higher than Locker imo.

I seriously doubt that Ponder will go above Locker for the main reason that Ponder has a limited ceiling, and Locker has a much bigger upside. At some point, I think he will interest someone early in the second round.

If you have taped the Senior Bowl, you will see in the first long pass to Hankerson the limit of Ponder's skills. He severely underthrew the ball, floating the ball up for grabs, and Hankerson made a terrific play to come back to it (poor Jalil Brown had no idea where the ball was located). That pass is an automatic pick in the pros. The safety from UNC, Searcy, was out of position on the play, made a bad break, and did not get there in time. Starting NFL safeties make that pick.

Ballard is a bit inconsistent, and will be that guy who is probably a top 50 pick, but unlikely to be a first rounder. There simply isn't anything exceptional about him.
Originally posted by Kurtz49:
Highlight of the off season...MD's Big Board!!! Thanks for putting in the time and effort.

Thanks for the kind words. Gotta lot of work to go, for sure.
Originally posted by jta854:
I don't know what thread to post this thought in, so I'll just put it in here.

What are the odds that the two drafts we desperately need QB (2005, 2011) are two of the worst draft from a QB talent perspective.

It could be, and has surely been, worse. 2006 gave us: Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler, Kellen Clemens, Tarvaris Jackson, Charlie Whitehurst and Brodie Croyle in the first three rounds. OUCH!!!

2007 gave us: JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Kevin Kolb, John Beck, Drew Stanton, and Trent Edwards in the first three rounds. Double OUCH!!
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by JDog:
What exactly is the knock on Ryan Mallet again? I am not pro or against him, but I have not heard anyone on the zone talk good about him.

Maddog had him ranked 12th, all the videos I I'm have seen on him shows very good accuracy, strong arm, and yes he does show good mobility. He is not short, and he did play in a the tough SEC confrence. I just watched lastnight in the college QB.challenge, which he one.

So what am I missing guys?

Great arm, good leadership, but questions on the mobility inside the pocket. His footwork is pretty slow, and he needs to work on eluding defenders.

You're not going to find anyone with a stronger arm in college and possibly in the NFL as well. He's accurate and play against a top level of competition. There's a lot to like.

Aside from his heavy feet, the drug rumors and projected single digit Wonderlik score doesn't bode well for him. If teams feel there's some substance to the character concerns, they'll be hesitant to draft him as the face of their franchise.

He doesn't have to prove anything with his arm. The interview process is going to be crucial for him. That's where he'll make his money.

Very much agree.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
MD would draft Moore in the second even if he isn't a really high need?

I'm convinced he will be a complete ballhawk in the league.

bump
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I think this is a fairly good projection as of now for where players might go. I must say that I would be surprised if Dallas passed on Prince and took Cam Jordan. Also, there are a couple of players that I think you have too high or low but we all have differences of opinions on certain players.

Overall.. good job.

Dallas has three sizable holes: At CB, OT, and DE. I think they go with the BPA from these areas, and Cam Jordan may be their guy. He was dominant at the Senior Bowl, and that usually launches guys into the top 10 picks.

We'll see how Prince runs at the combine. If he flies, he might be the target at 9, or even at number 7. The Cowboys need help in the secondary for sure, and will probably have to move Jenkins to FS.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by jta854:
I don't know what thread to post this thought in, so I'll just put it in here.

What are the odds that the two drafts we desperately need QB (2005, 2011) are two of the worst draft from a QB talent perspective.

These kind of quotes make me laugh. Nothing personal towards the person posting, but after watching years of football I've realized most draft "gurus" dont know s**t. Anyone can post top prospects if thats what they spend there time doing, and their success is only a factor of stating the obvious. They probably miss just as much as they hit. If they really had any talent evaluating people they would be calling shots regarding 4th and 5th round draftees becoming the next generation of great football players.

That's why I just can't take any of these guys serious anymore when they slight a whole class of anything in the draft. There is a gem in there someowhere, you just got to find it.

P.S. Considering Aaron Rogers is the best young QB in the game and is probably heading to the HOF one day, I dont see how you can make a statement like 05 was a weak QB class. I literally would take him over any QB in the NFL right now, even Alex Smith (if you can believe it).

bump

haha no comment?

alright then

• okdkid
  • Veteran
I don't agree with your comments from time to time. But, props for answering most questions. Kudos!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Im just amazed that you can name 100 college football players and to top it off you rate them. Im lucky if I can name maybe 10 college football players.
Why are gabbert and newton higher than mallet?

bump

haha no comment?

alright then

No comment for you!!!

Originally posted by 49erfoeva:
Why are gabbert and newton higher than mallet?

I believe MadDog addressed Mallert earlier in this thread. Rifle arm but off field concerns is my recollection. Scroll thru the whole thing, you'll find it.

[ Edited by ishkabibel on Feb 7, 2011 at 19:06:22 ]
Share 49ersWebzone