LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

MadDog49er Big 100 Board

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Go49erss:
So MD, if Green somehow drops to 7 and Miller is still there we got to pick Green right?

If I was making the selection, it is a no-brainer. To me, Green is the best player in this draft. I just can't see him slipping past a team like Cleveland, that needs WR help.

do u think hes better than peterson i thought the best players were bowers and peterson then closely behing green
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
So MD, if Green somehow drops to 7 and Miller is still there we got to pick Green right?

If I was making the selection, it is a no-brainer. To me, Green is the best player in this draft. I just can't see him slipping past a team like Cleveland, that needs WR help.

do u think hes better than peterson i thought the best players were bowers and peterson then closely behing green

MD said he's the best player in draft. So logically he believes he's a better pick than Peterson or Bowers.
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Thanks, Mad. I really like Dalton and Kaepernick, too. If everthing else was the same, it'd take Kaepernick, because of his stronger arm, and scrambling ability. Thanks, for the input.

Going to need a year or two, but Kaepernick is an intriguing player. Dalton is the kind of fiery leader that I believe Harbaugh would love on the squad. Polar opposite personality of Alex Smith.

Harbaugh seems enamored by Alex so far.

Do you think that's because he feels he has to be (due to limited options via the CBA) or because he genuinely thinks highly of him? I tend to think the latter.

I know a lot of fans are down on Smith, and I understand. I guess I don't try to think of him as a number one selection anymore but simply a guy trying to start. In that perspective, he's not as abominable as many people believe, and has a lot of tools and upside. The biggest problem with Smith is between the ears, mostly confidence.

Smith is accurate, has a strong arm, is mobile, works hard, and is very bright. These are all very positive attributes. A lot of QB coaches, and former QB's would love to work with him, and I see no difference with Harbaugh.

One final note: In Smith's last six starts, he threw for 8 TD's and only 1 INT. And in his final four games, his QB rating was 130.9, 66.0 (against the top defense in the NFL in SD), 91.0, and 107.8. So, he played pretty well the second half of the season.

Personally, I think he will never cut a break in SF, so he needs to move on. The bridge can only be burnt and reburnt so many times. But, if he does come back, I hope fans will give him a chance under a new system and coach.

I have Green and Peterson as the two best players in the draft, and I would build my board with those two at the top.
Thanks, Mad. I really like Dalton and Kaepernick, too. If everthing else was the same, it'd take Kaepernick, because of his stronger arm, and scrambling ability. Thanks, for the input.

Going to need a year or two, but Kaepernick is an intriguing player. Dalton is the kind of fiery leader that I believe Harbaugh would love on the squad. Polar opposite personality of Alex Smith.

Do you think that's because he feels he has to be (due to limited options via the CBA) or because he genuinely thinks highly of him? I tend to think the latter.

I know a lot of fans are down on Smith, and I understand. I guess I don't try to think of him as a number one selection anymore but simply a guy trying to start. In that perspective, he's not as abominable as many people believe, and has a lot of tools and upside. The biggest problem with Smith is between the ears, mostly confidence.

Smith is accurate, has a strong arm, is mobile, works hard, and is very bright. These are all very positive attributes. A lot of QB coaches, and former QB's would love to work with him, and I see no difference with Harbaugh.

One final note: In Smith's last six starts, he threw for 8 TD's and only 1 INT. And in his final four games, his QB rating was 130.9, 66.0 (against the top defense in the NFL in SD), 91.0, and 107.8. So, he played pretty well the second half of the season.

Personally, I think he will never cut a break in SF, so he needs to move on. The bridge can only be burnt and reburnt so many times. But, if he does come back, I hope fans will give him a chance under a new system and coach.

QFT.

I think it is embarrassing that the loudest our crowd has been in the last 8 years—and it's not even close—has been the boo'ing of Alex Smith's incomplete passes when he was generally playing OK. Where have all these people been when the opposing offense is on the field for the last 8 years! And if we're going to boo something, how about the constant run up the gut for no gain calls. Or at least when Alex makes a boneheaded play! Boo'ing on incomplete is just ridiculous.

That being said, I can't account for the number of people who might have been saying "boooo-urns".
  • dj43

Now you've done it. You have turned your own very good thread into an Alex Smith discussion. No one is going to like you any more, you know that, don't you?

....but you are right on target...
Originally posted by ghostrider:

QFT.

I think it is embarrassing that the loudest our crowd has been in the last 8 years—and it's not even close—has been the boo'ing of Alex Smith's incomplete passes when he was generally playing OK. Where have all these people been when the opposing offense is on the field for the last 8 years! And if we're going to boo something, how about the constant run up the gut for no gain calls. Or at least when Alex makes a boneheaded play! Boo'ing on incomplete is just ridiculous.

That being said, I can't account for the number of people who might have been saying "boooo-urns".

Ya it's pretty embarrassing. How can a crowd so apathetic muster enough energy to boo an incompletion? "Hey i bet if we boo and ridicule him, he'll start throwing td's".

Too me Alex needs to be brought back. There's too much there to turn away. He's been average w/ below average coaching. Now we have above average coaching. He should be ready to make the next leap. He ended the season amazingly AND was one of if not the top QB in the red zone. Too me, that speaks volumes about Alex Smith as a quarterback. If you can straight own it in the toughest part of the field like Alex has done, between the 20's can easily be corrected by Harbaugh.

I have Green and Peterson as the two best players in the draft, and I would build my board with those two at the top.

I realize we have obvious holes at CB and pass rushing. But also obvious is the dysfunction of the offense. Perhaps the first pick ought to be offensive. So AJ, if still around at #7, come on board.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
I see you got Locker pretty high up there bud. Ponder and Ballard should be ranked higher than Locker imo.

I seriously doubt that Ponder will go above Locker for the main reason that Ponder has a limited ceiling, and Locker has a much bigger upside. At some point, I think he will interest someone early in the second round.

If you have taped the Senior Bowl, you will see in the first long pass to Hankerson the limit of Ponder's skills. He severely underthrew the ball, floating the ball up for grabs, and Hankerson made a terrific play to come back to it (poor Jalil Brown had no idea where the ball was located). That pass is an automatic pick in the pros. The safety from UNC, Searcy, was out of position on the play, made a bad break, and did not get there in time. Starting NFL safeties make that pick.

Ballard is a bit inconsistent, and will be that guy who is probably a top 50 pick, but unlikely to be a first rounder. There simply isn't anything exceptional about him.

I see your opinion and you got great reason but with Locker the kid always has had accuracy issues and to me I wouldn't rank him that high. Ballard and Ponder will probably be drafted ahead of Locker imo because of it. I understand your a big Locker guy but with all do respect ohh GOD please let him not be a 49er I rather have Alex Smith back which I really don't want him either.

On the contrary, I never understood the fascination with Locker as a top prospect, and I thought he was very average in 2010. At the same time, if he can put it together, he has a huge upside to his game, and NFL coaches are somewhat egocentric. They believe they can fix some of these issues and get a value pick in the second.

I really wanted Locke to do well in the senior bowl, but he didnot do anything to help himself. I like his mobility and intangibles but he is not accurate and unless he needs contacts I donot know if Harbaugh or anyone else can help correct this problem.

QFT.

Ya it's pretty embarrassing. How can a crowd so apathetic muster enough energy to boo an incompletion? "Hey i bet if we boo and ridicule him, he'll start throwing td's".

Too me Alex needs to be brought back. There's too much there to turn away. He's been average w/ below average coaching. Now we have above average coaching. He should be ready to make the next leap. He ended the season amazingly AND was one of if not the top QB in the red zone. Too me, that speaks volumes about Alex Smith as a quarterback. If you can straight own it in the toughest part of the field like Alex has done, between the 20's can easily be corrected by Harbaugh.

I agree wholeheartedly with this assessment. However, I truly believe we've seem the last of Alex. If he does stay I hope he gets a standing O our first home exhibition game.

Originally posted by ishkabibel:

QFT.

I agree wholeheartedly with this assessment. However, I truly believe we've seem the last of Alex. If he does stay I hope he gets a standing O our first home exhibition game.

Won't happen. Most San Franciscans are too boorish. Sadly. I applaud Alex for the way he's handled the fans crudeness. Booing your own player? Ugh. It's sickening. It's a game. Do they boo their kid if he strikes out every time he goes to bat in little league? I wouldn't be shocked.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

I realize we have obvious holes at CB and pass rushing. But also obvious is the dysfunction of the offense. Perhaps the first pick ought to be offensive. So AJ, if still around at #7, come on board.

Unless you already have a young Pro-Bowler at a position, and he is locked under contract for some time, you have to pick the best player available. Is WR the greatest need for the team? No. But if you have a difference-maker on the board, you make the pick. Green would clearly be the number one receiver on a team still looking for a WR star.
I am not the least bit impressed with any of the "top tier" QBs in this drafts. I hope that JH and Alex can develop a relationship that works. I do not think Alex is as bad as some of the "fans" believe. I think the schemes the last several years were bad.

While I would like to see us pick up a pass rusher or CB in the first, if a star WR is available then I am all for that.

I do believe we ought to draft a QB, but say in the 3rd or 4th round to develop.

I don't remember a year where no "top tier" QB was interesting to me at all.
This may be the most boring draft season has been in a long time. Adding to the sluggishness, with the CBA issues, there's hardly any talk of trades and the like. I for one cannot wait for the combine because things are just a snoozefest right now.

I don't even feel motivated to make a mock. I'd rather wait until we get some workout numbers to work with. The movement of players' stock at this point is static and it won't go anywhere until the Combine finally ensues.

could harbaugh be looking to 2012 to get his qbotf, luck or barkley?
Share 49ersWebzone