LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 182 users in the forums

MAV MOCK! v2.0 Post Senior Bowl

Okay here is my second mock which will include FA signings. Hope you enjoy and I look forward to your comments.

Resign:

Franchise Tag- Aubrayo Franklin. I don't think there's any question we have to keep him on. It would be nice to work out a long term deal but he wants something into the 5-6yr range. At age 30 I see the FO looking at a contract around 4yrs. If they don't get it done then the tag is a sure bet.

Restructure- Nate Clements. 9ers brass has already said he will not return under his current contract. Will he do it? I see it as a 50/50 chance at this point. It seems Nate feels he's a top flight corner but his performance clearly proves otherwise. I see him testing free agent waters.

Ray McDonald- I would love to see Ray back in 2011. A good pass rusher on 3rd downs and solid in special team formations (Punt/Field Goal).

Davis Bass- A serviceable backup and can play all 3 interior line positions. You must have players like this to be successful.

Alex Smith- I await the webzone freak out for this decision. But if Harbaugh can convince AS to stay on he can provide as a valuable stop gap option. I'm thinking maybe a 2yr deal. We'll see if he wants to stay.

Dashon Goldson- Although last year was disappointing I'm not ready to give up on DG yet. Now if he starts commanding a 5-7yr 80mil contract then he can walk. But giving him a 2yr deal allows him the chance to build up some street credit and get a big extension.

Cut:

Manny Lawson- Its time to let Manny walk. He will command too much money and doesn't fit our defense. I see him fitting in as a OLB in a Tampa 2 scheme.

Sign:

Chris Carr, CB, 28yrs, Ravens: The Ravens are in a bit of a hole as F/A's go. Ngata is also a UFA and will command big $$$. This will require a large amount of their time and money leaving players like Carr to test the open market.

Bruce Gradkowsky QB, 28yrs, Raiders: If AS does not want to come back Gradkowsky could be plugged in as a decent stop gap. He will not command a huge contract and has shown he can win games. Poor mans Jeff Garcia?

Draft:

Round 1- Von Miller, OLB, Texas A&M: His hype train has reached full steam. There's a lot of time between now and the draft so things will start to mellow out before April 28th. I won't give any real analysis as everyone on the zone knows him. A bit undersized but can rush the passer from a variety of positions. A PERFECT fit for a Vic Fangio defense.

Round 2- Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado: I really like this kid. Lots of upside. Solid in man-man coverage (6ft2in, 205lbs), and a serviceable tackler. Needs work in zone coverage. No character concerns and seems to have the work ethic needed to be successful. I just hope he’s here in the second.

Round 3- Pat Devlin, QB, Delaware: The Senior Bowl QB's did not impress me. None of them deserve anything higher than a 3rd round grade (I'm looking at you Locker). But at the same time I’m completely enamored with Pat Devlin. Some criticize him based on the East-West shrine game. But what I see is a lot of raw potential. Great pocket presence, field vision, accuracy, and a lightning quick release. He's coming from a spread only system and will have a lot to learn about running a WCO and dropping back from center. Give him one or two years learning under Harbaugh and we might have "the guy."

Round 4a- Randall Cobb, WR, Kentucky: Was used as an all purpose weapon. This kid can do it all. Flanker, slot, back field, special teams, ect. The versatility he brings is something to be desired from our current skill players.

Round 4b- Lawrence Guy, DE, Arizona State: A good value pick and I love his make up. Great motor, plays nasty, yet high character. Projects in either a 4-3 or 3-4 but seems better suited in a 5 technique.

Round 5- Bilal Powel, RB, Louisville: Good size at 5ft10in 205lbs. An aggressive and nasty runner with above average speed. Possesses all the physical qualities to be a workhorse but technique need to be refined. Runs too high, not patient with blockers, ect. A nice project for Rathman.

Round 6a- Anthoney Miller, TE, Cal: I can’t see us leaving this draft without a TE. Miller fit the bill as a do it all TE. Decent blocker, good route runner, and has nice hands. Was productive at Cal. Can also contribute on special teams.

Round 6b- Chykie Brown, CB, Texas: Getting Brown here would be a total steal IMO. I see it happening because this is a deep CB class and his two teammates are getting much more attention. Nice size at 6ft, 187lbs, and is very physically gifted. The knock on him is that his mechanics need a complete overall. Two or three year project.

Round 7a- Shaun Chapas, FB, Georgia: A solid blocking fullback and pure brawler. If we plan on doing any power running Chapas would be an asset.
Round 7b Colin Baxter, C/G, Arizona: A versatile player who had a solid career at Arizona. Another addition to the practice squad.
Very realistic fa and resigning as well as rounds 1 through 3 of the draft. I think we will get a bigger name at cb in fa and whichever position we do not get at pick seven cb or olb......we will address in fa. If we get prince or petersen we get a fa olb....if we get miller we get a fa cb.

I think if smith is gone in the second we may get ponder with our second pick instead of anyone.

Also the niners will also probably trade or sign a veteren qb instead of smith....i would say mcnabb or kolb. Lawson may be let go as well as goldson because brooks can replace him and reggie smith can replace goldson.
Who's our Week 1 starting QB?
good mock but i dont know why manny doesnt get any of the credit he deserves....we can not base him on the fact he was a first round pick and supposed to be a pass rusher.....he is awesome in coverage and setting the edge....he does not get many opportunities to even blitz the passer and isnt out there on 3rd downs....he does more than make the most of his opportunities and deserves a reasonable contract
i would rather resign manny and let dashon go
I could live with this . . . but I'm pretty sure Jimmy Smith won't be there in the 2nd.
Originally posted by niners9:
i would rather resign manny and let dashon go

this. But I love the first three picks.
There's a lot to like, but tagging Franklin, losing Manny, and then drafting Von Miller greatly decrease my love for this one.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

A. Smith or Bruce Gradkowsky. If Alex doesn't resign we go out and get Gradkowsky.

[ Edited by mavfd9er on Feb 5, 2011 at 17:00:16 ]
No way we tag Franklin. He'd make more than Willis. Way more around 10 million.

Originally posted by mavfd9er:

A. Smith or Bruce Gradkowsky. If Alex doesn't resign we go out and get Gradkowsky.

We can do better folks.

We can do better folks.

Have any ideas? The only other thought of mine is Mcnabb. It's very debatable if he'd come here at all and if so would he come at a fair price.
Originally posted by ishkabibel:
No way we tag Franklin. He'd make more than Willis. Way more around 10 million.

Tagging Franklin is a last resort but there is absolutely no way we let him walk. I'm more inclined to believe he will sign a 4-5yr deal after the CBA is established.

We can do better folks.

Have any ideas? The only other thought of mine is Mcnabb. It's very debatable if he'd come here at all and if so would he come at a fair price.

McNabb would be a much more credible starter than Gradkowski or any current 49er. I like your draft just think we need a better QB. Good job tho.

We can do better folks.

McNabb would be a much more credible starter than Gradkowski or any current 49er. I like your draft just think we need a better QB. Good job tho.

Yeah, same here. Alex Smith/Bruce Gradkowski just won't cut it IMO.
Share 49ersWebzone