There are 170 users in the forums

TonyM's - Mock You Probably Havent Seen Yet

With the collective bargining agreement in the air and the fact that this year, teams must look to the draft without knowing their FA options I think this year's draft will look a little different. You won't see as many teams drafting best player available yet I think you will see more manouvering and trades that bring teams the payer of need they are targeting. With that in mind....

1. Panthers- Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn – I think the panthers consider trading back if there are any offers. To me #1 is reserved for a franchise QB or book end OT neither of which are available this year. When it is said and done, they look for help in the middle of the line and will look for their pass rush in later rounds.

2. Broncos- Patrick Peterson, CB/PR, LSU – This is probably the safest pick for the Broncos when you think about it. Either they take the #1 corner or the #2 DT and my money would be on a lock down corner, even if Bailey sticks around. They will look at Bowers, but the big recievers of the AFC West (V.Jackson, Heyward Bey, Bowe) will lead them to select a CB.

*1st trade...Arizona gives the #5 pieck and their 2nd round pick to Buffalo for the #3 pick and Buffalo's 5th round pick

3. Cardinals (from Bills)- DaQwan Bowers, DE, Clemson- they already have two QBs on the roster to develop and will most likely bring in a veteran to get by in the mean time. But they need help getting to the QB and when they see Bowers sitting there at #3 they make the move to go get him.

4. Bengals - A.J. Green, WR, Georgia – With the #1 CB, #1 DT and #1 DE off the board the bengals select the #1 WR in Greeen. This is also a postion of need for the Bengals and will give them leverage in keeping Palmer happy and in negotiating with #85 (said in Engish).

5. Bills (from Cardinals)- Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama - They had their eye on him at #3 but are even happier getting him for less money at #5 and aquiring the extra 2nd round pick from the Cardinals allows them to focus on OL.

*2nd trade...Tennessee gives the #8 pick and their 3rd round pick to Cleveland who gives the #6 pick.

6. Tennesse (from Cle) Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri - It is no secret that with Vince Young gone, Jeff Fisher out and Kerry Kollins just about 48 yrs old, that the Titans need to find a QB of the future. If Collins can give them one or two more years they will have the time to develop Gabbert who could have the highest ceiling of all QBs.

*3rd trade...Detroit gives the #13 pick and their 2nd round pick to the 49ers for the #7 pick.

7. Detroit (from SF)- Von Miller , OLB, Tex A&M - Detroit cant wait for Akunamara to still be there and they really wanted Peterson. But with SF fielding calls for #7 they jump at the chance to move up six spots and secure the #1 OLB prospect in Miller. Miller may be a favorite of many on this board, but an undersized do it all LB is not what we need in a top ten pick.

8. Cleveland (from Tenn) - Julio Jones, WR, Alabama - Cleveland needs playmakers at WR if they are going to give McCoy any chance to succeed. With AJ Green off the board at #6, they were able to trade backa few spots to get the #2 WR on the board and an extra 3rd rounder.

9. Dallas - Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska - the Cowboys need help in the secondary and with the Prince they can get help immediately. His production fell off a bit this last season and he may not ever be a lockdown corner but he will provide run support and be a nice #2 CB. (think Clements in the long run)

10. Washington - Cam Newton, QB, Auburn - with McNabb most likely out of the picture Shanahan needs a new signal caller to begin his current regime. Newton is probably the most NFL ready and could probably step in and darn near match McNabb's production from last year.

*4th trade...Miami gives the #15 pick and their 3rd round pick to Houston for the #11 pick.

11. Miami (from Hou) - Jake Locker, QB, Washington - Miami needs a franchise Qb yet they have some time to develop one. Knowing Locker would not slip past Minnesota or SF they make a move with Houston to go get their Qb of the future. While not a franchise QB, Locker is the #2 or #3 QB on most people's board and he would give Miami a star in the making.

12. Minnesota - Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas - The Vikings need a Qb and they were hoping to see Newton, Gabbert or Locker available, but instead they take the #4 QB on the board in Ryan Mallet. He can be developed into a steady NFL Qb but will lean on AP and the running game for a while while he learns.

13. San Francisco (from Det) - Robert Quinn, DE, NC - with Peterson, Gabbert and Bowers off the board at #7 the Niners move all the way down to #13 and still land a huge position of need in DE/ Pass rusher Robert Quinn. His lack of massive production and the year off will allow him to slip where he could represent the missing piece (the Ware or Merriman) that our 3-4 has needed for some time.

San Francisco's remaining first day picks:

2nd Round (from Det) #44 - Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor - This guy is a beast and can provide the type of size and power rarely seen. Taylor could develop into a top tier NT.

2nd Round #45 - Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida - The OL is definitely not a position of great need for the 49ers however Pouncey could come in and play RG or C from day one. Heitman is not the long term answer at C and neither is soon to be gone Baas. That leaves Wragge and Chilo Rachal and Pouncey could be better from day one.

3rd Round - Christian Ponder, QB, FSU - Ponder had a very nice SB week where he showed off his touch, timing and accuracy. He also showed he has heald from some arm issues. If the 49ers can sit Ponder for a year he should be easily developed by Harbaugh.

* I know many of you are going to sqawk at the 49ers giving up the right to draft Von Miller at #7 however I feel, while he will be a good NFL LB, he wont be the pass rusher in the NFL the Niners need him to be. We already have speedy LBs who can cover out of the backfield.
*This scenario allows the 49ers to throw all of their free agent money at Namdi and or Bailey and bring in a veteran QB to mentor Ponder.

[ Edited by TonyMantana on Feb 3, 2011 at 13:54:04 ]
If Von Miller is there at 7 and we trade back ill f**kin slap Baalke in his mouth and s**t in his car
Originally posted by valrod33:
If Von Miller is there at 7 and we trade back ill f**kin slap Baalke in his mouth and s**t in his car

I cant see where Von Miller fits into the 3-4. He is too small to set the edge as an OLB and we already have Willis and Bowman. He had the ability to run around OTs and get to the Qb at the college level, but I dont see him with the same NFL ability.

[ Edited by TonyMantana on Feb 3, 2011 at 13:56:54 ]
The Cards are in dire in of a QB, so they trade up to #3 to get.....

... a DE.

Originally posted by TonyMantana:

I cant see where Von Miller fits into the 3-4. He is too small to set the edge as an OLB and we already have Willis and Bowman. He had the ability to run around OTs and get to the Qb at the college level, but I dont see him with the same NFL ability.

Greg Lloyd was at 220lbs and we played well in Pittsburgh's 3-4 defense. Even made multiple pro bowls.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:

... a DE.

so do you see a QB worthy of #5 pick? Many have Bowers rated #1, I would say Arizona would be damn happy to go from #5 and get a #1 talent
Originally posted by TonyMantana:

Greg Lloyd was at 220lbs and we played well in Pittsburgh's 3-4 defense. Even made multiple pro bowls.

did you really have to go back 25 years to find an example
Greg Lloyd was NOT 220 lbs in the NFL... no more than James Harrison is 240 lbs... LOL.

All one need do is LOOK at these guys... not a chance. Sites just don't bother to update minor things like weight.

... and I really like your mock, though many selections and happenings are pretty optimistic.
If we could get another 2nd and still get Quinn I would be ecstatic!

Although if Jimmy Smith was available when we had our back-to-back picks in the 2nd I would prefer him over Pouncy. We've invested too many high draft picks in O-line.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Creative, I'll give you that. I don't see Quinn falling that far after the combine he'll likely have. Also I don't know that Bowers fits the 3-4 which AZ will continue to run after they tab a Pitt assistant to run it. And if CB is Detroits #1 need why trade up, then pass on a top prospect at that position?

so von miller is worth a whole extra free 2nd round pick over robert quinn

---not to mention dropping down lowers the payscale of the player selected

... a DE.

Whis is quoted as saying he has no interest in developing a rookie and will target a vet in the off season.
Originally posted by TalkinBoutWILLIS:

so von miller is worth a whole extra free 2nd round pick over robert quinn

---not to mention dropping down lowers the payscale of the player selected

I would love this

We could trade back into the 1st round by trading a 2nd and 3rd and get a top CB who is left.

Come out with Jimmy Smith and Robert Quinn AND still have a 2nd or 3rd round pick?!
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:

... a DE.

Whis is quoted as saying he has no interest in developing a rookie and will target a vet in the off season.

What's he supposed to say "we fully expect to take a QB in the draft"?
Cardinals run a 3-4, where does bowers fit into their defense? IMO they stay pat and take Miller
Share 49ersWebzone