There are 226 users in the forums

krizay mock 2.0

Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by mebemused:
If 3-4 teams are taking QBs in front of us, than OLBs, NTs, CBs, and Ss will be falling to us. Let the draft come to us.

If you must take a QB in the first two rounds, trade back in the first and take Ponder, and then stockpile picks. That way Harbaugh and his coaching staff can get multiple chances to grab the players they want for their system. Much better than losing picks over the next two years.
This team doesn't need to stockpile picks at this point. What it needs is impact players at 4 key spots: OLB, CB, safety and of course QB. (A speedy WR would be nice but if the other needs are met we can get by for a year.) Consequently, with that many key needs, BPA on each of the first 3 rounds is the best way to build up the team. I would trade away all the other picks if I could fill 3 of those 4 key needs.

Depth can be added via FA but there are no impact players coming in FA save Nnamdi, and he will be ultra expensive. Getting impact players in the draft is the best way to build.

Fill three of the four? Heck I'd trade all of our picks to fill just one: Franchise QB.

Too bad, that's easier said than done
  • krizay
  • Veteran
If 3-4 teams are taking QBs in front of us, than OLBs, NTs, CBs, and Ss will be falling to us. Let the draft come to us.

If you must take a QB in the first two rounds, trade back in the first and take Ponder, and then stockpile picks. That way Harbaugh and his coaching staff can get multiple chances to grab the players they want for their system. Much better than losing picks over the next two years.
This team doesn't need to stockpile picks at this point. What it needs is impact players at 4 key spots: OLB, CB, safety and of course QB. (A speedy WR would be nice but if the other needs are met we can get by for a year.) Consequently, with that many key needs, BPA on each of the first 3 rounds is the best way to build up the team. I would trade away all the other picks if I could fill 3 of those 4 key needs.

Depth can be added via FA but there are no impact players coming in FA save Nnamdi, and he will be ultra expensive. Getting impact players in the draft is the best way to build.

Exactly! Teams are lucky to get 2 starters out of every draft. With Ponder and Miller, i've done that. While still adding depth/competition to a couple other key areas (CB,Dline).

I would love to see us get a CB in the 2nd as well. But a QB is > a CB Especially if that means taking a CB just to take a CB in the second and taking a QB just to take a QB in the 3rd.

I'd draft 2 players that I WANT and feel could help us NOW! over 10 players I settle for cause they play a position i'm weak at.
Originally posted by krizay:

Exactly! Teams are lucky to get 2 starters out of every draft. With Ponder and Miller, i've done that. While still adding depth/competition to a couple other key areas (CB,Dline).

I would love to see us get a CB in the 2nd as well. But a QB is > a CB Especially if that means taking a CB just to take a CB in the second and taking a QB just to take a QB in the 3rd.

I'd draft 2 players that I WANT and feel could help us NOW! over 10 players I settle for cause they play a position i'm weak at.

But Ponder won't help us now. He will help us in 2013. Not saying don't draft him, but he isn't Sam Bradford - it is likely he won't start right away. Meanwhile, if we can improve the secondary play and get sustainable pressure on the QB we could actually be pretty good next year with a veteran QB. But if we take the QB of the future AND don't get impact players at both CB and OLB then we are next year's version of this year.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by midrdan:

But Ponder won't help us now. He will help us in 2013. Not saying don't draft him, but he isn't Sam Bradford - it is likely he won't start right away. Meanwhile, if we can improve the secondary play and get sustainable pressure on the QB we could actually be pretty good next year with a veteran QB. But if we take the QB of the future AND don't get impact players at both CB and OLB then we are next year's version of this year.

Don't get me wrong I know not to expect much from a rookie QB. But the same intuition that tells me that tells me you can't expect a rookie CB to fair much better either. Just as you can find examples to disprove that I can find to disprove the other.

Other than Dline, pass rusher and RB, you really can't expect ALOT out of from day 1. So that CB you are talking about isn't going to help any bit more than the QB.

Furthermore, (not directed towards you) for the ones complaining that no offensive players til round 7. If we do go OLB, CB, QB or CB, OLB, QB how is a 4th round offensive player going to help anymore than a 7th rounder?

You guys are wanting positions just to want positions.
Originally posted by midrdan:

Don't get me wrong I know not to expect much from a rookie QB. But the same intuition that tells me that tells me you can't expect a rookie CB to fair much better either. Just as you can find examples to disprove that I can find to disprove the other.

Other than Dline, pass rusher and RB, you really can't expect ALOT out of from day 1. So that CB you are talking about isn't going to help any bit more than the QB.

Furthermore, (not directed towards you) for the ones complaining that no offensive players til round 7. If we do go OLB, CB, QB or CB, OLB, QB how is a 4th round offensive player going to help anymore than a 7th rounder?

You guys are wanting positions just to want positions.

You speak truth, my friend.
Share 49ersWebzone