matt49er mock offseason/draft 2.0

Release/Don't re-sign
Alex Smith
Troy Smith
Adam Snyder
Demetric Evans
Moran Norris
Tony Wragge
Manny Lawson-(we attempt to sign him but demands are too high)

Resign
David Baas-3 year deal
Barry Sims-1 year deal
Ray McDonald-2 year deal
Travis LaBoy-1 year deal
Takeo Spikes-2 year deal
Aubrayo Franklin-3 or 4 year deal
Dashon Goldston-1 year deal (will want to test FA next year when he becomes UFA)
Brian Westbrook-1 year deal

Extend/Re-structure
Frank Gore-new 3 year deal
Josh Morgan-new 3 or 4 year deal
Delaine Walker-new 3 or 4 year deal
Nate Clements-new 3 year deal

Trades
Chilo Rachal to Sea for 6th round pick
Parys Haralson to Mia for 5th round pick
Shawntae Spencer to Phi for 4th round pick
David Carr and 4th, 5th round picks Den for QB Kyle Orton (signs new 2 year deal)
2011 6th round pick, 2012 4th round pick to Tampa for QB Josh Johnson

FA Signings
Tamba Hali- OLB KC, passrushing threat we desperately need-5 year deal
Harvey Dahl- OG Atl- fixes our RG problems-3 year deal
Chris Carr- CB Bal-underrated CB improves depth, possible starter or nickle back
Laron Mclain-FB Bal-2 year deal

Draft
1-Prince Amukama CB Nebraska-shut down CB we need
2-Christian Ponder QB Florida State, -run on QBs early we don't wait and take 1 in the 2nd
3-Sam Acho DE/OLB Texas-w/Lawson and Haralson gone we need another OLB
4-Sione Fua NT Stanford-depth behind Franklin/potential future NT
4-Titus Young Boise State WR-probably wont fall this far but lacks size and could just slide
5-7 BPA

We don't really go crazy in FA here as we basically let one big FA walk in Lawson and sign another in Hali. Dahl/Carr/Mclain while offering upgrades aren't huge signings.

Thoughts??

[ Edited by matt49er on Jan 30, 2011 at 23:30:17 ]
I'd be cool with that.

Especially if we can get a quick RB in the 5th or later. Maybe Vareen will drop....

I think I'd hang onto Wragge though. That guy is probably our best backup O lineman. He plays all three interior positions well, and didn't he even play a little LT in one of the games this last year because of in game injuries?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I like your first 2 picks.
I'm ok with the draft portion but dear god that FA portion sucks! You want to let go of Spencer but keep Clements? Orton Josh Johnson? Why because he was under Harbaugh in college? I don't understand this logic but okay.
Originally posted by backontop:
I'm ok with the draft portion but dear god that FA portion sucks! You want to let go of Spencer but keep Clements? Orton Josh Johnson? Why because he was under Harbaugh in college? I don't understand this logic but okay.

Yeah I dont get keeping Nate and dumping Spencer. No reason to trade for both Orton and Josh Johnson. Don't think we will get Hali either, why would he leave a good team in KC that will likely pay him the most money because he's important to them for us? That makes no sense.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Yeah I dont get keeping Nate and dumping Spencer. No reason to trade for both Orton and Josh Johnson. Don't think we will get Hali either, why would he leave a good team in KC that will likely pay him the most money because he's important to them for us? That makes no sense.

you can add in Dahl leaving ATL in the same boat as Hali.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Spencer had a very bad year and Nate is a superior player to Spencer overall. Orton as a starter now and Johnson to develope as possible future starter. Every year big time players leave in FA why can't we get Hali to come over?
matt Titus Young is projected as a 2nd round pick
Originally posted by matt49er:
Release/Don't re-sign
Alex Smith
Troy Smith
Adam Snyder
Demetric Evans
Moran Norris
Tony Wragge
Manny Lawson-(we attempt to sign him but demands are too high)

Resign
David Baas-3 year deal
Barry Sims-1 year deal
Ray McDonald-2 year deal
Travis LaBoy-1 year deal
Takeo Spikes-2 year deal
Aubrayo Franklin-3 or 4 year deal
Dashon Goldston-1 year deal (will want to test FA next year when he becomes UFA)
Brian Westbrook-1 year deal

Extend/Re-structure
Frank Gore-new 3 year deal
Josh Morgan-new 3 or 4 year deal
Delaine Walker-new 3 or 4 year deal
Nate Clements-new 3 year deal

Trades
Chilo Rachal to Sea for 6th round pick
Parys Haralson to Mia for 5th round pick
Shawntae Spencer to Phi for 4th round pick
David Carr and 4th, 5th round picks Den for QB Kyle Orton (signs new 2 year deal)
2011 6th round pick, 2012 4th round pick to Tampa for QB Josh Johnson

FA Signings
Tamba Hali- OLB KC, passrushing threat we desperately need-5 year deal
Harvey Dahl- OG Atl- fixes our RG problems-3 year deal
Chris Carr- CB Bal-underrated CB improves depth, possible starter or nickle back
Laron Mclain-FB Bal-2 year deal

Draft
1-Prince Amukama CB Nebraska-shut down CB we need
2-Christian Ponder QB Florida State, -run on QBs early we don't wait and take 1 in the 2nd
3-Sam Acho DE/OLB Texas-w/Lawson and Haralson gone we need another OLB
4-Sione Fua NT Stanford-depth behind Franklin/potential future NT
4-Titus Young Boise State WR-probably wont fall this far but lacks size and could just slide
5-7 BPA

We don't really go crazy in FA here as we basically let one big FA walk in Lawson and sign another in Hali. Dahl/Carr/Mclain while offering upgrades aren't huge signings.

Thoughts??

I gotta agree with Willis and backontop that your free agency just makes no sense. Both corners had sub par years, and I find it very hard to say that Nate is clearly superior to Spencer. Why in the world would the Broncos trade for David Carr. Then you want to give up 2 draft picks for a back up qb who has shown nothing.

Extending Walker, Clements, and Morgan for 3 years isn't smart either. Those are 3 guys that need/could be replaced. I love Gore but I would wait to see how that hip looks before extending him. I see no point in extending Sims or Westbrook. Boone should be ready to take over that back up tackle role, and they should draft a younger speed guy to replace Westbrook.

I like your Fa signings.
That many trades never happens and were not going to sign big name free agents.

Obviously it looks good on paper but it's far fetched.

Good draft except young does not make it past the third.
Trades....none of them happen.
Extentions....gore but that will be during the season if he is coming along fine
free agency....maybe dahl but kc will keep hali. Bal will keep mcclain. Maybe carr from bal.
Originally posted by matt49er:

Trades
Chilo Rachal to Sea for 6th round pick why? i do understand that he sucked but let's give him a chance under the new coaching staff.
2011 6th round pick, 2012 4th round pick to Tampa for QB Josh Johnson orton ok, johnson no thx. just b/c he was coached by harbaugh, it doesnt mean that he is good material.

FA Signings
Tamba Hali- OLB KC, passrushing threat we desperately need-5 year deal dream on ;) i just dont beleve that a guy will switch from a play-off team to us unless we are talking about big money.

Draft
1-Prince Amukama CB Nebraska-shut down CB we need if we get a guy like hali, ok
2-Christian Ponder QB Florida State, -run on QBs early we don't wait and take 1 in the 2nd why ponder?
4-Titus Young Boise State WR-probably wont fall this far but lacks size and could just slide young in the 4th after such an impressive senior bowl practice???
5-7 BPA

Thoughts??
Share 49ersWebzone