There are 186 users in the forums

"Nose Tackle of the future"

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Phil Taylor! We need a big nasty Casey Hampton like beast in the middle, who will demand a double team on size alone.

Cosigned.

I just cant see Taylor as a Niner. No way you take him at #7 and I think he will be gone before our 2nd round pick.

Agreed, someone who will probably be in that 30's range. If we let Franklin go we probably have to get a NT but not sure I want to lose a 3rd trading up from 45 to say 35-40.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Overkill:
The question is, does Fangio want a big ugly for a NT (traditional 2-gap), or does he want a quicker, penetrating-type of NT for his 3-4 (1-gap)?

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/01/fangios-former.html

Quote:
Fangio's former pupils say he likes movement, aggression

Nose tackle Sione Fua weighed in at 307 pounds at today's Senior Bowl, which is much lighter than a typical NFL nose tackle but perfect for one who plays in Vic Fangio's 3-4 system. How do we know that? Because Fua was Fangio's nose tackle last year at Stanford.

Fua said Fangio, the 49ers new defensive coordinator, didn't want him to be an immovable object in his defensive scheme. "He'd move us around a lot, and we'd run a lot of stunts," said Fua. He also said that Fangio's defense was more of a hybrid 3-4 and that the Cardinal also played a lot of 4-3 formations last year.

Fua sounds a lot like the 49ers' current nose tackle, Aubrayo Franklin, who isn't known as much for his size as he is for his quickness and savvy. Both Fua and Owen Marecic, who played both inside linebacker and fullback at Stanford, spoke highly of Fangio today. They said that he was aggressive with his schemes and that he was constantly tinkering with them to better take advantage of specific opponents. The key to their success at Stanford, they said, was movement and variation.

Fua said that when Fangio first arrived, he showed them films of NFL defenses he had coached, especially the Ravens defense. Fangio was a special assistant to Ravens coach John Harbaugh before joining Jim Harbaugh at Stanford in 2010.

I'm sure Fangio worked with what he had at Stanford. He didn't have the typical NT, so he used stunts, mixed in the 43 base, etc.

That doesn't mean he had what he considered the perfect personnel base at Stanford. He was only there for one year. That's not really enough time to impact recruiting & the roster. So I don't think we know enough to point to Fua as his model for NT.

He's a disciple of Dom Capers. In his last three stops, Dom has used massive NT's as well as several 330+lb DE's. In Houston, he immediately added guys like Gary Walker & Howard Green. In Miami, he had 340lb Keith Traylor. In Green Bay, their first pick after hiring Capers was BJ Raji, even though they already had 340lb starting DT Ryan Pickett on the roster.

There's no real way to know what Fangio wants at this point, and I'm sure he'll adapt to whatever he's given here, too. If he follows his mentor, I'm guessing he'll want at least two massive players on the DL. But that doesn't mean Baalke is going to make that a draft priority.

I posed the question and supplied the latest info from a guy who worked closely with him; I didn't say I knew the answer.

Okay... And I thought all I did was post some broader background info & indicate nobody else can really know at this point, either. Am I missing something or why did you rehash your own post?

Nobody knows ANYTHING the 49ers will do regardless of position, since we're not a part of (nor are we privvy to) those discussions...that's a given. I was asking a question, and providing some clues that might give those of us who are not part of the process, some small insight into the thinking. Guys were projecting a big fattie for an NT in the earlier posts, but there was information out there that suggested it doesn't necessarily have to be a big fattie. I was providing that information as part of this discussion.

And so was I. Obviously, I'm not being clear.

WHY ARE YOU RE-HASHING YOUR POSTS? You keep restating what your post was about and I don't understand why.

Should I follow this post with one stating "I was confused and asking a question about why you keep telling me what you posted the first time?"

And then follow that one with one stating "I was asking a question and stating why I asked it?"

And so on...
The question is, does Fangio want a big ugly for a NT (traditional 2-gap), or does he want a quicker, penetrating-type of NT for his 3-4 (1-gap)?

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/01/fangios-former.html

Quote:
Fangio's former pupils say he likes movement, aggression

Nose tackle Sione Fua weighed in at 307 pounds at today's Senior Bowl, which is much lighter than a typical NFL nose tackle but perfect for one who plays in Vic Fangio's 3-4 system. How do we know that? Because Fua was Fangio's nose tackle last year at Stanford.

Fua said Fangio, the 49ers new defensive coordinator, didn't want him to be an immovable object in his defensive scheme. "He'd move us around a lot, and we'd run a lot of stunts," said Fua. He also said that Fangio's defense was more of a hybrid 3-4 and that the Cardinal also played a lot of 4-3 formations last year.

Fua sounds a lot like the 49ers' current nose tackle, Aubrayo Franklin, who isn't known as much for his size as he is for his quickness and savvy. Both Fua and Owen Marecic, who played both inside linebacker and fullback at Stanford, spoke highly of Fangio today. They said that he was aggressive with his schemes and that he was constantly tinkering with them to better take advantage of specific opponents. The key to their success at Stanford, they said, was movement and variation.

Fua said that when Fangio first arrived, he showed them films of NFL defenses he had coached, especially the Ravens defense. Fangio was a special assistant to Ravens coach John Harbaugh before joining Jim Harbaugh at Stanford in 2010.

I'm sure Fangio worked with what he had at Stanford. He didn't have the typical NT, so he used stunts, mixed in the 43 base, etc.

That doesn't mean he had what he considered the perfect personnel base at Stanford. He was only there for one year. That's not really enough time to impact recruiting & the roster. So I don't think we know enough to point to Fua as his model for NT.

He's a disciple of Dom Capers. In his last three stops, Dom has used massive NT's as well as several 330+lb DE's. In Houston, he immediately added guys like Gary Walker & Howard Green. In Miami, he had 340lb Keith Traylor. In Green Bay, their first pick after hiring Capers was BJ Raji, even though they already had 340lb starting DT Ryan Pickett on the roster.

There's no real way to know what Fangio wants at this point, and I'm sure he'll adapt to whatever he's given here, too. If he follows his mentor, I'm guessing he'll want at least two massive players on the DL. But that doesn't mean Baalke is going to make that a draft priority.

I posed the question and supplied the latest info from a guy who worked closely with him; I didn't say I knew the answer.

Okay... And I thought all I did was post some broader background info & indicate nobody else can really know at this point, either. Am I missing something or why did you rehash your own post?

Nobody knows ANYTHING the 49ers will do regardless of position, since we're not a part of (nor are we privvy to) those discussions...that's a given. I was asking a question, and providing some clues that might give those of us who are not part of the process, some small insight into the thinking. Guys were projecting a big fattie for an NT in the earlier posts, but there was information out there that suggested it doesn't necessarily have to be a big fattie. I was providing that information as part of this discussion.

And so was I. Obviously, I'm not being clear.

WHY ARE YOU RE-HASHING YOUR POSTS? You keep restating what your post was about and I don't understand why.

Should I follow this post with one stating "I was confused and asking a question about why you keep telling me what you posted the first time?"

And then follow that one with one stating "I was asking a question and stating why I asked it?"

And so on...

Now I'm confused on how to answer you since I don't know what you're asking of me. Is there something you need me to clarify, or are you good and should we just drop this? That's about as clear as I can get.

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 31, 2011 at 15:05:08 ]

Now I'm confused on how to answer you since I don't know what you're asking of me. Is there something you need me to clarify, or are you good and should we just drop this? That's about as clear as I can get.

Your response to my post seems to indicate you felt the need to tell me what your first post was about. I understood that the first time around, so I didn't know what your point was in repeating that. That's what I've been asking.

If you're good, than I'm good. I just felt like you were trying to reply with some point that had eluded me.

Your response to my post seems to indicate you felt the need to tell me what your first post was about. I understood that the first time around, so I didn't know what your point was in repeating that. That's what I've been asking.

If you're good, than I'm good. I just felt like you were trying to reply with some point that had eluded me.

LOLZ. Nope, just thought I had to clarify my first post, but it's clear now that it wasn't necessary.

LOLZ. Nope, just thought I had to clarify my first post, but it's clear now that it wasn't necessary.

Oh, lol. Now I got you. I can be dense sometimes (especially on draft stuff), so I probably need clarification more often than not.

Taylor could move well up from a late-1st/early-2nd pick. No NFL coach or exec has been blind to what B.J. Raji (who had an amazing ascent in his own draft) brings to the Green Bay defense, and Taylor was favorably compared to Raji by a commentator at the Senior Bowl practices. If he would be the key to an OK 3-4 defense becoming dominant, don't be surprised to see him go as high as 10 himself.

Oh, lol. Now I got you. I can be dense sometimes (especially on draft stuff), so I probably need clarification more often than not.

You guys funny...
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Taylor could move well up from a late-1st/early-2nd pick. No NFL coach or exec has been blind to what B.J. Raji (who had an amazing ascent in his own draft) brings to the Green Bay defense, and Taylor was favorably compared to Raji by a commentator at the Senior Bowl practices. If he would be the key to an OK 3-4 defense becoming dominant, don't be surprised to see him go as high as 10 himself.

Taylor has ideal NT size and moves very well for his size. All the "experts" seems to agree that he did not get pushed back at all throughout the Sr Bowl. I want to see how many reps he puts up at the combine. He may have a similar impact as Raji in the NFL which would be a very, very good thing.
Originally posted by rayn36:
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:

Taylor has ideal NT size and moves very well for his size. All the "experts" seems to agree that he did not get pushed back at all throughout the Sr Bowl. I want to see how many reps he puts up at the combine. He may have a similar impact as Raji in the NFL which would be a very, very good thing.

Agree. I think he will move up in the draft also.

• sfout
  • Veteran
Taylor has been a second pick this entire year. He moved up from late second rounder/early 3rd rounder to the possible first round prospect around the end of the season. You guys who are questioning Taylor's speed and agility definitely haven't watched any film on him and he was kicked off the team for an on-campus fight, not drugs or anything extremely criminal. There are also a few other day 3 NTs, most notably, Anthony Gray of Southern Miss at 6-0 315.
Share 49ersWebzone