LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

Trade back for Ryan Kerrigan?

Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
#7 is very tradeable pick.

However if there's a rookie salary cap, teams will be more likely to trade up for players. There will be a LOT more trading, wheeling and dealing in the 1st round than in recent memory.

I really think that both Gabbert and Newton will be targets with our pick if Buffalo, Cincy and AZ don't pick either of them. Given they are QBs, I believe they will be worth more than the typical #7 pick. I can see Tenn, Wash, Minny and Miami wanting either of those two. Well, there are only two to go around unless one of them is willing to wait for Locker like Miami for instance.

I don't care how, but we better get one of these pass rushers in the first:
Miller
Quinn
Kerrigan
A. Smith

Just sayin'

Agree with you. I like Kerrigan a lot, but I wouldn't be mad if we got Miller, Quinn, or Prince with our pick. Kerrigan should be our first choice though.

I keep going over and over this in my mind. There are just too many good CBs that are going to be there in the second especially with Carmichael and Burney trying to make their way out of the third into the second.

There is a HUGE drop off in talent after Kerrigan and Smith, period. Prince is very good, but has horrible recovery speed, really does. @#7, I want a CB with speed, because sometimes you're going to get burned and you need to recover. He showed that to the tee against Blackmon. Great technician, but horrible recovery speed.

No thanks.

Instead, get me Miller, Quinn, or Kerrigan!!!!! Damn it!!
i'd take adrian claiborn over this guy
Originally posted by iLL49er:
i'd take adrian claiborn over this guy

Clayborn? The same guy who did absolutely nothing this past season and was caught several times taking plays off? No thank you.
Kerrigan and Carriker sound alike. Im just sayin
Originally posted by NinerGM:
#7 is very tradeable pick.

However if there's a rookie salary cap, teams will be more likely to trade up for players. There will be a LOT more trading, wheeling and dealing in the 1st round than in recent memory.

I really think that both Gabbert and Newton will be targets with our pick if Buffalo, Cincy and AZ don't pick either of them. Given they are QBs, I believe they will be worth more than the typical #7 pick. I can see Tenn, Wash, Minny and Miami wanting either of those two. Well, there are only two to go around unless one of them is willing to wait for Locker like Miami for instance.

I don't care how, but we better get one of these pass rushers in the first:
Miller
Quinn
Kerrigan
A. Smith

Just sayin'

Agree with you. I like Kerrigan a lot, but I wouldn't be mad if we got Miller, Quinn, or Prince with our pick. Kerrigan should be our first choice though.

I keep going over and over this in my mind. There are just too many good CBs that are going to be there in the second especially with Carmichael and Burney trying to make their way out of the third into the second.

There is a HUGE drop off in talent after Kerrigan and Smith, period. Prince is very good, but has horrible recovery speed, really does. @#7, I want a CB with speed, because sometimes you're going to get burned and you need to recover. He showed that to the tee against Blackmon. Great technician, but horrible recovery speed.

No thanks.

Instead, get me Miller, Quinn, or Kerrigan!!!!! Damn it!!

I think the drop off from Prince to the 2nd round tier of CB is just as great as the drop off from Kerrigan to the next tier of OLB'ers.
Originally posted by lamontb:

I think the drop off from Prince to the 2nd round tier of CB is just as great as the drop off from Kerrigan to the next tier of OLB'ers.

I'm happy for ya!

I really don't know about that one though. Many of these CBs in the second would be first rounders, but the DE and DT class is so strong with those three OTs and Pouncey that it drives these guys back.

Anyway, I see red, you see gold. It's all good! Still, want that pass rusher first.
Kerrigan has a great motor, and wouldn't be a bad idea if we were to trade back; however if Miller is there at #7 I think we'd be best suited to go ahead and pick him up. If you have Miller and Lawson on the outside (and I know everyone is gonna whine about Lawson but.......he's never had the luxory of a real pass rusher on the opposite side of him, not to mention he is probably the most instinctive linebacker in coverage)....Miller, Spikes, Willis, and Lawson is quite impressive, those 4 have everything you want in a 3-4 group. Lawson isn't a 10 sack guy, but with a threat on the opposite side from him, he'll get more than he has been.....jus sayin
I don't know... Kerrigan has put up great numbers but he might be an Aaron Kampman type who doesn't work in the 3-4. Kampman really struggled in coverage... I think John Engelberger was that type as well when we 1st went to the 3-4. Although, not as talented... I would love to get a 10 sack guy but seems kind of limited if he can't cover. You can't just send your OLB every play... what if he has to cover a back? Can he do it? Not hating on him but just not 100% sold on him yet.

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 31, 2011 at 14:56:53 ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I don't know... Kerrigan has put up great numbers but he might be an Aaron Kampman type who doesn't work in the 3-4. Kampman really struggled in coverage... I think John Engelberger was that type as well when we 1st went to the 3-4. Although, not as talented... I would love to get a 10 sack guy but seems kind of limited if he can't cover. You can't just send your OLB every play... what if he has to cover a back? Can he do it? Not hating on him but just not 100% sold on him yet.

I also look at Purdue's history in sending guys to the pros that have made that transition well. Players like Shaun Phillips, Rosevelt Colvin, Chike Okeafor, and Anthony Spencer.

When I watch Kerrigan, I can see the ability for him to transition to linebacker.
First if there's no CBA we cannot trade for a player during the draft, I'd be fine swapping back to 10 with Washington so they can draft a QB in front of Tenn.. Then take at 10 Kerrigan or Miller whichever's avaliable and adding a draft pick for the swap.

Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
First if there's no CBA we cannot trade for a player during the draft, I'd be fine swapping back to 10 with Washington so they can draft a QB in front of Tenn.. Then take at 10 Kerrigan or Miller whichever's avaliable and adding a draft pick for the swap.

My plan exactly.

I also look at Purdue's history in sending guys to the pros that have made that transition well. Players like Shaun Phillips, Rosevelt Colvin, Chike Okeafor, and Anthony Spencer.

When I watch Kerrigan, I can see the ability for him to transition to linebacker.

Actually Mayock mentioned Kerrigan will struggle as a 3-4 backer because he has stiff hips just like Aaron Curry a few years back and is more suitable as a 4-3 end. Miller is an all around 3-4 backer.
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:

Actually Mayock mentioned Kerrigan will struggle as a 3-4 backer because he has stiff hips just like Aaron Curry a few years back and is more suitable as a 4-3 end. Miller is an all around 3-4 backer.

The way I look at it, Kerrigan is legit going against top tackles as is Miller, but both have not been proven going into coverage. Also, Von has been known to get eaten up against tackles when defending against the run. Btw, if Parys Haralson can play OLB in the NFL, I'm damn confident that Kerrigan can play better. And another thing, it's not like Kerrigan is gonna constantly be used for coverage like Manny. We need him to get to the QB, which is what Fangio does.
http://twitter.com/WesBunting

Talked with a scout last night who told me he thinks #Purdue DE Ryan Kerrigan will fall a bit after Combine, very average athlete #NFLDRAFT

Thinks teams will be turned off by #Purdue DE Ryan Kerrigan very average workout numbers, falls into later portions of round 1/2 #NFLDRAFT

I don't think #Purdue DE Ryan Kerrigan is worth the top 15 pick a lot of people say he is,more of a late one/2nd round pick to me #NFLDRAFT
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:

My plan exactly.
kerrigan at 10
Share 49ersWebzone