LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 342 users in the forums

Trade back for Ryan Kerrigan?

• sfout
  • Veteran
I searched for a Kerrigan thread but I didn't really want to hijack the thread.
It might be a little too much wishful thinking but I see the Bucs picking Kerrigan at #20 in almost every mock now. Sometimes he slips down into the early 20's and sometimes he slips into the late teen's and who knows where he'll be projected at after the combine. But say Harbaugh wants Josh Johnson, do you think a simple first round pick swap would enough for us to pull Johnson into the deal as well? We would still land a big time pass rusher and we would solve a piece of our QB puzzle in the process.
I have really always liked Kerrigan and after mulling over it, I absolutely want the 9ers to draft a DE with their first pick. Amukamara is one hell of a corner but I could see us solving our CB issues in free agency very easily. What do you guys think, we land a pass rushing stud and a long term #2 qb in one fell swoop?
Im honestly believing he will be a top 15 pick, he has the tools and intangibles.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Yea that is what I am thinking. He looked amazing this week and I know he will only improve so that's why I used the phrase "wishful thinking" lol.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Im honestly believing he will be a top 15 pick, he has the tools and intangibles.

I agree. I like the Arizona kid too, Brooks Reed.
You think we really have to fall that far back in the draft, passing on some elite prospects, just to land Josh Johnson?
on second thought, i can see it happening, and I wouldm love Johnson.

none of the QBs are worth a 1st rd grade.
I dont want this guy, we dont need another Justin Smith we need a guy who can dominate. VON MILLER FTW
Originally posted by valrod33:
I dont want this guy, we dont need another Justin Smith we need a guy who can dominate. VON MILLER FTW

Agreed von miller or prince at cb. Whichever we dont get with our first pick go for the other position in fa
Can't trade back to get Josh Johnson if there is no CBA.
I wouldn't trading back a few slots while picking up Aldon Smith and filling an extra void in the 2nd.

You must be joking. You don't want another Justin Smith on the line? I guess you must have missed this past season and every other season since the Niners acquired Smith.

A great DE in the 3-4 is more valuable than an OLB pass rusher. Ask any defensive coach that runs the 3-4 and they will say the same thing.

People just get caught up with the "sexy" picks and ignore the blocks by which a whole defense runs on.

I'm rooting for Cameron Jordan myself.

[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Jan 31, 2011 at 07:52:27 ]
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

You must be joking. You don't want another Justin Smith on the line? I guess you must have missed this past season and every other season since the Niners acquired Smith.

A great DE in the 3-4 is more valuable than an OLB pass rusher. Ask any defensive coach that runs the 3-4 and they will say the same thing.

People just get caught up with the "sexy" picks and ignore the blocks by which a whole defense runs on.

I'm rooting for Cameron Jordan myself.

im not joking
Ryan Kerrigan would be our OLB, not DE, in our base 3-4. He can also stay in the game during passing downs to rush the passer on the line next to Justin Smith.

The guy is relentless, has a non stop motor, and violent hands. I'd take this guy at 7 if we couldn't trade down to #10 at the lowest. He's about 6'4'' and 255 lbs. The guy is a monster and was the best player at Purdue despite how horrible they were. He was constantly double teamed and still produced.

Let's compare Kerrigan and Von:

Kerrigan
Games played: 48
Tackles: 209
Tackles for Loss: 55.5
Sacks: 37.5

Miller
Games played: 47
Tackles: 182
Tackles for Loss: 50.5
Sacks: 33
Originally posted by NinerGM:
#7 is very tradeable pick.

However if there's a rookie salary cap, teams will be more likely to trade up for players. There will be a LOT more trading, wheeling and dealing in the 1st round than in recent memory.

I really think that both Gabbert and Newton will be targets with our pick if Buffalo, Cincy and AZ don't pick either of them. Given they are QBs, I believe they will be worth more than the typical #7 pick. I can see Tenn, Wash, Minny and Miami wanting either of those two. Well, there are only two to go around unless one of them is willing to wait for Locker like Miami for instance.

I don't care how, but we better get one of these pass rushers in the first:
Miller
Quinn
Kerrigan
A. Smith

Just sayin'
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
#7 is very tradeable pick.

However if there's a rookie salary cap, teams will be more likely to trade up for players. There will be a LOT more trading, wheeling and dealing in the 1st round than in recent memory.

I really think that both Gabbert and Newton will be targets with our pick if Buffalo, Cincy and AZ don't pick either of them. Given they are QBs, I believe they will be worth more than the typical #7 pick. I can see Tenn, Wash, Minny and Miami wanting either of those two. Well, there are only two to go around unless one of them is willing to wait for Locker like Miami for instance.

I don't care how, but we better get one of these pass rushers in the first:
Miller
Quinn
Kerrigan
A. Smith

Just sayin'

Agree with you. I like Kerrigan a lot, but I wouldn't be mad if we got Miller, Quinn, or Prince with our pick. Kerrigan should be our first choice though.
Share 49ersWebzone