Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by strickac:
^^ Exactly...head-to-head, here's the statline for the Insight Bowl:

Stanzi - 11/21, 200 yards, 52% completion, 0 TDs, 2 INTs, 113 passer rating
Gabbert - 41/57, 434 yards, 72% completion, 1 TD, 2 INTs, 135 passer rating

But SWAGG's eyes told him that Stanzi is the better QB, and the stats back it up.

I'm missing the point. Those stats are nearly the same. Gabbert threw 57 passes out of the spread. He better have 400 yds passing. Stanzi threw half as many attempts and they both threw some Ints. I'd say neither had impressive numbers. I didn't watch the game either though.

SWAGG, I think you put to much emphasis on the Senior Bowl. There were only a handful of projected 1st rounders there, so it wasn't exactly a real display of competition among the elite players coming out. It was just a few of them.

While I don't agree with your rankings, I like to see different opinions. I would just recommend that you just take a step back and not try to justify yourself to the mob. You won't change people's mind here. Pick your battles wisely. Convincing people that Stanzi and Ponder should be the top prospects is an uphill battle, to say the least.

For the record, I think Gabbert is severely overrated. He has some nice physical tools, but he hasn't been tested under center and he had a very QB-friendly offense. Draft gurus appears to be giving him a bye and crowning him, for lack of better options. I think he'll be heavily scrutinized during workouts in the coming months. Teams are going to make him earn it.

You don't see a difference in completing 72% of your passes versus 52%? The first pick Gabbert threw in that game was dropped/tipped by his TE in the end zone. His only real mistake of the game was a killer late in the 4th; a bad decision thrown right to a defender who took it to the house for the eventual game-winning score. That was all bad.

But, instead of moping about it, Gabbert came right back and marched his team down the field and was close to getting them in field goal range to tie the score. He completed a 4th down pass to the sideline which was thought to initially give them a first down and extend the drive...but it was ruled the WR bobbled it as he hit the ground (replay was inconclusive, but the refs called it a no-catch anyway).

IMO, if you looked at some of the throws made by Gabbert and compared them to what Stanzi was doing, it wasn't even close. Gabbert was throwing lasers all over the field, from one boundary to the other on a rope, all night. Now, I like Stanzi a lot and think he has a chance of being a very good NFL QB, but he's just not in the same conversation with Gabbert in terms of skill-set and potential....and I think you'll find a consensus of opinion out there that is in agreement.

I'm not a Stanzi fan. I think he's backup in the NFL. His awareness is his biggest strength, which is a nice thing though.

As a Colorado fan, I've seen my share of Gabbert and I see him as a system QB. His numbers are inflated. He has the physical tools, but he's unproven, IMO.

I'm not saying he won't be good in a pro-set, he just needs to prove it. He had the luxery of playing in deep shotgun and having 3 or 4 WRs spread out. He didn't worry about dropping back (as with many/most college QBs) and he always had a quick, easy option to dump it to. It inflated his completion percentage and didn't require that he read defenses or necessarily go through his progressions.

I just feel that his high draft rating is risky. Compared to previous years, I don't think he stacks up very well as the #1 QB prospect. That my concern with Gabbert.

Sounds like you're decribing the west coast offense. Yes, he'll have to learn how to work through his progressions, but it's not like he (or any other rookie QB) will be starting anytime soon. I think it's important to see any QB not for what they are now, but what they could be in 2-3+ years with proper coaching (and we now have proper coaching).

IMO, when this process is done, Gabbert will emerge as the clear-cut #1, and will be worthy of a top 10-15 pick, which will make him difficult to pass at #7. I think people here are so scared off because of Alex, they just lump all young, "spread-style" QBs into the same category.

Gabbert will be in Cinci or Arz.

Only if Palmer retires and/or AZ doesn't sign a veteran free agent QB. However, if the Palmer situation gets worked out, and the Cardinals sign/trade for a vet, he will likely be available at #7.

But SWAGG's eyes told him that Stanzi is the better QB, and the stats back it up.

I'm missing the point. Those stats are nearly the same. Gabbert threw 57 passes out of the spread. He better have 400 yds passing. Stanzi threw half as many attempts and they both threw some Ints. I'd say neither had impressive numbers. I didn't watch the game either though.

SWAGG, I think you put to much emphasis on the Senior Bowl. There were only a handful of projected 1st rounders there, so it wasn't exactly a real display of competition among the elite players coming out. It was just a few of them.

While I don't agree with your rankings, I like to see different opinions. I would just recommend that you just take a step back and not try to justify yourself to the mob. You won't change people's mind here. Pick your battles wisely. Convincing people that Stanzi and Ponder should be the top prospects is an uphill battle, to say the least.

For the record, I think Gabbert is severely overrated. He has some nice physical tools, but he hasn't been tested under center and he had a very QB-friendly offense. Draft gurus appears to be giving him a bye and crowning him, for lack of better options. I think he'll be heavily scrutinized during workouts in the coming months. Teams are going to make him earn it.

You don't see a difference in completing 72% of your passes versus 52%? The first pick Gabbert threw in that game was dropped/tipped by his TE in the end zone. His only real mistake of the game was a killer late in the 4th; a bad decision thrown right to a defender who took it to the house for the eventual game-winning score. That was all bad.

But, instead of moping about it, Gabbert came right back and marched his team down the field and was close to getting them in field goal range to tie the score. He completed a 4th down pass to the sideline which was thought to initially give them a first down and extend the drive...but it was ruled the WR bobbled it as he hit the ground (replay was inconclusive, but the refs called it a no-catch anyway).

IMO, if you looked at some of the throws made by Gabbert and compared them to what Stanzi was doing, it wasn't even close. Gabbert was throwing lasers all over the field, from one boundary to the other on a rope, all night. Now, I like Stanzi a lot and think he has a chance of being a very good NFL QB, but he's just not in the same conversation with Gabbert in terms of skill-set and potential....and I think you'll find a consensus of opinion out there that is in agreement.

I'm not a Stanzi fan. I think he's backup in the NFL. His awareness is his biggest strength, which is a nice thing though.

As a Colorado fan, I've seen my share of Gabbert and I see him as a system QB. His numbers are inflated. He has the physical tools, but he's unproven, IMO.

I'm not saying he won't be good in a pro-set, he just needs to prove it. He had the luxery of playing in deep shotgun and having 3 or 4 WRs spread out. He didn't worry about dropping back (as with many/most college QBs) and he always had a quick, easy option to dump it to. It inflated his completion percentage and didn't require that he read defenses or necessarily go through his progressions.

I just feel that his high draft rating is risky. Compared to previous years, I don't think he stacks up very well as the #1 QB prospect. That my concern with Gabbert.

Sounds like you're decribing the west coast offense. Yes, he'll have to learn how to work through his progressions, but it's not like he (or any other rookie QB) will be starting anytime soon. I think it's important to see any QB not for what they are now, but what they could be in 2-3+ years with proper coaching (and we now have proper coaching).

IMO, when this process is done, Gabbert will emerge as the clear-cut #1, and will be worthy of a top 10-15 pick, which will make him difficult to pass at #7. I think people here are so scared off because of Alex, they just lump all young, "spread-style" QBs into the same category.

How can you not be in love w/ Stanzi knowing that any qb should need 2-3 years to develop? Especially considering the MASSIVE improvements made by Stanzi from his Jr year to Sr year! He's already built for the pro's. Gabbert is a COMPLETE mystery. I mean honestly, what in Gabberts game is worthy of a 1st round grade? His stats? No. His accuracy? No. His arm strength? Yes. His awareness? Who knows he was in spread. His ability to read coverages? Who knows he was in the spread. His build? Yes.

So really aside from arm strength (which he doesn't really know how to harness properly) and his size, what are you seeing out of this kid?
Originally posted by jreff22:

Only if Palmer retires and/or AZ doesn't sign a veteran free agent QB. However, if the Palmer situation gets worked out, and the Cardinals sign/trade for a vet, he will likely be available at #7.

It would be hard to imagine Cincy passing on Green or Bowers and I have to believe one of them will be available at #4. Arizona is a possibility for Gabbert if he really wows them in his workouts and in the combine but it looks like Von Miller is more likely there.

I would not be shocked at all to see Gabbert as the Niners pick at #7.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

It would be hard to imagine Cincy passing on Green or Bowers and I have to believe one of them will be available at #4. Arizona is a possibility for Gabbert if he really wows them in his workouts and in the combine but it looks like Von Miller is more likely there.

Agreed on all counts.

Green is the most obvious choice for Cinci, especially if Chad goes. Both Green and Gabbert could be 4 and 5, or vice a versa.

Green is the most obvious choice for Cinci, especially if Chad goes. Both Green and Gabbert could be 4 and 5, or vice a versa.

It would be nice this happens. Then the niners will get the person they want, maybe even move back two spots and still get the CB or pass rush specialist they want.
Wow. All I can say is just wow.
Share 49ersWebzone